Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

lummox said:

Fairweather said:

8_2_112703_bush.jpgthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

dude wont need to go back for seconds.

happy thanksgiving yall!

i am off to climb in the sun. thumbs_up.gifwave.gif

How appropriate;this picture is just like the Bush economic policies: 'All for me and none fer you,sucka!!'

----------------------------------------------

"Oh,I'm sorry; did I break your concentration??" the_finger.gifgrin.gif

what the president did is called leadership - for the commander in chief to make the effort and the committment to go half way around the world to spend 2 1/2 hours with our troops shows how much class he has!!!

I know some of you are really steamed about this one...the opponents of the president are trying so hard to make him look bad and he just keeps making most Americans proud. Thanks GW for sticking to your guns and your principles!!!

Happy Thanksgiving and God Bless America!!! thumbs_up.gif

Shit Peter, your news is old! Isn't officially 8.2% now?

I can see how a lot people dislike Bush (I do), but what he did heading over to Iraq is both a stand-up thing to do for the troops AND smart move from a political and militarily-tactics point of view. Gotta give credit where credit is due sometime.

Metalhead_Mojo said:

what the president did is called leadership - for the commander in chief to make the effort and the committment to go half way around the world to spend 2 1/2 hours with our troops shows how much class he has!!!

I know some of you are really steamed about this one...the opponents of the president are trying so hard to make him look bad and he just keeps making most Americans proud. Thanks GW for sticking to your guns and your principles!!!

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Good post Metalhead. (You are 'da man.) I can't wait to hear the Bush-hater's responses in the days to come.

chucK said:

Shit Peter, your news is old! Isn't officially 8.2% now?

I can see how a lot people dislike Bush (I do), but what he did heading over to Iraq is both a stand-up thing to do for the troops AND smart move from a political and militarily-tactics point of view. Gotta give credit where credit is due sometime.

....and in that spirit, I read on FOX News that Senator Hillary Clinton spent today in Afghanistan having dinner with the troops. A gutsy lady for sure.

catbirdseat said:

I am a Bush hater...

Yep, me too (although "hate" may be overstating it a tad). And a foreigner, to boot. But credit where credit is due: it was good to see Bush pull off what was essentially just a goofy stunt, and to see him (and everyone else in the room) so obviously enjoying it. For a moment there, he seemed almost human.

Good on ya, Dubya. thumbs_up.gif

Christ, you couldn't attack the guy because it'd be two strikes against you. This event identified him with the troops and with Thanksgiving. Damn astute of his PR people. I guess this photo op was definitely worth the risk.

Seems he took a page out of his father's gamebook:

'Bush's father visited U.S. troops at a desert outpost in Saudi Arabia on Thanksgiving Day 1990, in the runup to the Gulf War. "We won't pull punches. We are not here on some exercise. And we're not walking away until our mission is done, until the invader is out of Kuwait," he told the troops. At one point, he climbed into a bunker to chat with troops.

Bush's father shared lunch with U.S. troops 65 miles from Kuwait, occupied at the time by Saddam Hussein's forces. George H.W. Bush had been the first U.S. president to visit a front-line area since President Nixon went to Vietnam in 1969.'

( Bush Makes Surprise Visit to Iraq )

Metalhead_Mojo said:

What Bush did is called a damage control photo-op.I have no problem with it,it's what politicians do no matter which side they're on.The current news as of this morning at the present time is that the actual planning for this trip had been in the works for about 5 weeks(CNN),and that the idea was first presented to Bush last summer.It has little to do with leadership;it's actually closer to being led by the administration public relations flacks and Bush's handlers,who are well-paid to come up with ideas such as this to keep everything positive in the (no longer independent or free-if in fact it ever was) media,and to distract the public from more serious domestic,economic or international problems.Don't insult your own intelligence by believing that Bush himself may have originated the idea.(CNN and Condoleeza Rice have confirmed that it was adviser Sandy Carson's idea).CNN's report stated that, once informed of the idea,Bush's first reaction was to question what the personal risks would be to himself.Reasonable enough,given the responsibility of his office;but true courage and committment would have required much more than a couple of hours in the safe company of hundreds of elite soldiers at a totally secured rear base.A more substantive visit might have included a trip to Bagdad,some face to face with soldiers in the dirt,and perhaps the Iraqi Governing Council.Real courage is demonstrated by FDR's plane and ship journey to Yalta while WWII was still raging,Anwar Sadat's visit to Israel after the Sinai war,and JFK's decision to go to Dallas despite specific Secret Service warnings not to do so.The visit will also do a bit to assuage some negative feelings about Bush's plan to cut hazard/combat compensation(by more than 50%) for troops in Iraq and Afghanistan(still in negotiation) and the cutting of funding for Veteran's Hospitals and post-deployment medical care by about 40%(has been acted on).My purpose here is not to just bash Bush because of who he is or for being a Republican,but to simply see the story behind the scenes,and hopefully to see things as they really are.And I guarantee that if the Democrats had such an opportunity,they'd do the same.As usual,there's just a little more to the story than meets the eye.

-----------------------------------------------------

When Clinton lied,no one died.

Current total of US troops killed in Iraq so far: 428;127 of those since the "end of major operations" in May.Stay cool.eh? wave.gif

Fairweather said:

Good post Metalhead. (You are 'da man.) I can't wait to hear the Bush-hater's responses in the days to come.

My response is this: you're a lame fuck for trying to hitch bullshit politics to the Thanksgiving holiday. Pretty much the same way it's lame that displaying the flag has been conflated with being a right wing tool. If you can't manage to wish a happy holiday without pushing your political views at the same time, then the_finger.gifthe_finger.gifthe_finger.gif

Peter_Puget said:

Mtguide said:

How appropriate;this picture is just like the Bush economic policies: 'All for me and none fer you,sucka!!'

----------------------------------------------

"Oh,I'm sorry; did I break your concentration??" the_finger.gifgrin.gif

You make me laugh!

PP bigdrink.gif

Well,that's just the headline;the rest of the article contains plenty of caveats regarding actual growth of jobs and consumer confidence,with most of the so-called growth coming from high-ticket items("durable goods")by those who have ready cash, and equipment investment by corporations,a reasonable action during times when interest rates and prices in general are low.The article states that there is concern about the relationship of such infrastructure investment to real gains on the part of middle class ordinary people,and that stock market figures do not a recovery make.And of course even the market has been extremely cautious,with bull market days not yet consistent or dominant.Best not to laugh too soon,or too readily;or to forget the old phrase "he who laughs last...."

---------------------------------------------------------

Song of the Red Tailed Hawk

I look it over

I look it over;

The fencerow,the field's edge;

I look it all over

carefully.

Gary Lawless,Blackberry Press wink.gif

arlen said:

Fairweather said:

My response is this: you're a lame fuck for trying to hitch bullshit politics to the Thanksgiving holiday. Pretty much the same way it's lame that displaying the flag has been conflated with being a right wing tool. If you can't manage to wish a happy holiday without pushing your political views at the same time, then the_finger.gifthe_finger.gifthe_finger.gif

yelrotflmao.gifyellaf.gifcry.gif its not a holiday here... so i'm gonna keep on the keepin' on aight? wink.gifbigdrink.gifwave.gifyellaf.gif