The Fairview Inn/Talkeetna

The Islander/Big Lake

Humpies/Anchorage

The Great Alaska Bush Company/Anchorage

Mother Load/Hatchers Pass

Crazy Horse/ Anchorage

The Elbow Room/Dutch Harbor

Mr. Whitekey's Fly By Night Club/Anchorage

I have only named a few of the spots to hit. I left out the places with the highest assault spots, but they are easy to spot.

Lets got some Fairbanks hot spots listed!!! bigdrink.gifpitty.gif

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Dan_Harris said:

Sisu, is the Last Vestage Vaudeville House and Saloon still there in Nome? It's been a long time but it was a decent place. Also why would anyone go to Dutch Harbor unless they were crabbers / fisherman? Is there anything worthwhile on the island?

Naw, but in the "old days" there were a few climbers that were crabbers. The Elbow Room is so small that every one takes turns getting drunk. hahahahaha...last I heard they were enlarging so more could get drunk at a time. bigdrink.gif

I like the bar in Carl's Bayview Inn, just a few blocks from the Elbow Room. More room to move, often a band to dance to, more pool tables, and I can stumble up to my room with out going back out into the cold.

Dutch is beautiful...I like the eagles that perch on the steeples of the Russian Orthodox church and all over the hill sides.

Sport fishing is good there, too. I did some halibut fishing on the same boat with the current world record holder for halibut caught on a sport line.

Kayaking is good there, too. Lots of islands to circumnavigate and fun passes to cross. You can climb glaciated volcanos on nearby islands in the 5,000 to 7,000 ft range and soak in hot springs when you're finished.

And don't forget the huge all-you-can-eat seafood buffet at the Grand Aleutian...is that on Tuesday or Thursdays....I forget.

You are right about the bald eagles. Beautiful. I saw 6-7 of them in a row perched on power poles. My time in Dutch was while I was working oil exploration ships and it was before I got interested in climbing. Maybe I'll have to go back. The take off and landings at the airport are an quite an experience. shocked.gif

Yeah they are. The inverse of the normal takeoff/landing rule holds true in Dutch. There, the bigger the plane the more exciting the takeoff or landing.

Bars for road trips: Ole's Big Game Bar in Paxton, NE Last time I was there they had champagne on tap.

just a hop and a skip from Cabela's flagship store in Sidney, NE...another "don't miss" destination.

Here's a pretty good list from this web page: (thanks dkemp!) make sure you check dkemp's reviews....there are a few sinkers in there.

Trailhead Cafe, Gold Bar

Red Barn Texaco, Monroe

Copper Creek Inn, Ashford

Stehekin Restaurant, Stehekin

Model T, Hoodsport

Tijuanas; Monroe

Taquitos Taloucas, Monroe

The Dutch Cup, Sultan

Sultan Bakery, Sultan

The Bushwhacker, Port Angeles

Rhodes Greek & Italian, Sedro Wooley

Three Rivers Inn, Sedro Wooley