Ice Tools FS

Skip_M._Kliphiem

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is what BD calls an "alaska" pick:

625146.jpg

I believe you're talking about the standard curve picks, simmilar to a mountaineering axe? Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but the pick attatchment on the blue fiberglass model is different from the current BD tongue and groove shown in the picture above, right?

Skip_M._Kliphiem said:

Yes, blue fiberglass handles and both pairs of picks fit the tools. "Alaska" pick is how BD refers to the "standard" ice axe pick. The pairs are interchangeable so that one can use the tools on steep snow or ice (low dagger/high dagger) or on more vertical ice. Both tools are straight shaft.

I believe he is selling the Chouinard X tools (blue fiberglass shaft) which were my first ice tools purchased in 1984. Yes, the picks are different and do not work with the newer BD attachment system as pictured above. "Alaska" pick was not used until the new BD system came out. The only picks that came with the Chouinard X tools were a classic and a recurve/droop. I use my older X-tool with classic pick for my alpine climbs when I mostly need only one tool. My second tool is the little grivel thingy. For Alpine climbs with some water ice, use the straight shaft BD BRS tool with Alaska pick. Alaska picks rockband.gif! Replacement picks for the Chouinard X-tools are no longer available retail. If someone wants these tools and wants the recurve/droop picks, I have some I might sell.

BTW, that price is absurd unless there is historical value to these now!

Yes, I am an expert when it comes to this line of tools because I have them all still.

Edited by David_Parker

I have to agree that the price is way too high. Considering that the X-15 tools (newer than your model) often go for around $75 a pop, and they actually take any of the still produced and easily obtainable BD picks. blush.gif

If they were one generation older with wood shafts, then you'd get around $200.00 per tool. thumbs_up.gif

I have seen replacement picks at Second Ascent in Ballard from time to time. In fact, I sold them some a few years ago. But they are hard to find and geting harder. mad.gif

Don't want to burst your bubble or anything. The old X-tool was a good tool in its day, but it is really outdated today...and it isn't a collectable item. hellno3d.gif

Good luck in selling them.

wave.gif

Decent alpine tools. I finally took mine to 2nd Ascent and pawned them off there last winter. They were selling them for $60. each. Kept the Chacal. When he mentioned vintage I was hoping for a Zero and bamboo smile.gif

You can but new set of C/M Aztars delivered for $300 and Grivel Light wings for $280. All with picks that are still available

Edited by Dane

So 2nd Ascent has a pair at $120, this dude's comes with extra picks at $200. A variance of $80, not including picks... just noticed after posting... leashes too! Do two extra picks and the leashes cost $80 and was 2nd Ascent's tools of the same quality/included leashes? If leashes weren't part of the Ascent deal, then hell yeah two extra picks and two leashes are worth $80 and now you're paying exactly as much as 2nd Ascent less taxes.

Maybe he'd have more luck posting a picture. Are they still for sale?

Skip_M._Kliphiem said:

Yes, blue fiberglass handles and both pairs of picks fit the tools. "Alaska" pick is how BD refers to the "standard" ice axe pick.

These are Zero tools, not X tools. The "Alaska" pick you are talking about is not the Alaska pick, simply the original curved mountaineering pick (Chouinard only made 2 styles of picks for the Zero).

Zero tools are cool'n'all, but 200$ is steep for technology thats 20 years old.

boatskiclimbsail said:

I may certainly be mistaken, but "Zero" tools have a one piece head and red handles, while the "X" tools had the blue handles and the picks with a 10-15 degree slot cut in one side where they slide in and out of the head vertically.

sounds backwards to me. the Zero tool was a blue fiberglass shaft with the 15 degree slot where the pick comes out vertically. they stopped making them when the first X-15 was released with bare carbon fiber shaft (1989 -90 ish? I have a pair)

while the red tool you are describing sounds like the much newer vintage BD X-15 with aluminum shaft that was around for about 2 seasons after they stopped making the BRS X-15s and went cheaper, increasing their margins and decreasing the overall quality of their tools.

but admittedly, I dont know for sure. my entrance into ice climbing happened in 1989, so even though my partner used the Zero tools, I don't actually know that they *didnt* make a red shafted one for certain...

Skip_M._Kliphiem said:

Vintage Chouinard ice tools:

1 hammer 47.5 cm

1 adze 50 cm

2 Simond Track Up leashes

2 Alaska picks

2 reverse curve picks

1 wrench

$200.00, in good shape considering there age. Sorry, no digital camera otherwise I would post a photo. Send a PM if interested cool.gif

abbreviated version:

crap for sale for a lot of money.

David_Parker said:

Skip_M._Kliphiem said:

Yes, blue fiberglass handles and both pairs of picks fit the tools. "Alaska" pick is how BD refers to the "standard" ice axe pick. The pairs are interchangeable so that one can use the tools on steep snow or ice (low dagger/high dagger) or on more vertical ice. Both tools are straight shaft.

I believe he is selling the Chouinard X tools (blue fiberglass shaft) which were my first ice tools purchased in 1984. Yes, the picks are different and do not work with the newer BD attachment system as pictured above. "Alaska" pick was not used until the new BD system came out. The only picks that came with the Chouinard X tools were a classic and a recurve/droop. I use my older X-tool with classic pick for my alpine climbs when I mostly need only one tool. My second tool is the little grivel thingy. For Alpine climbs with some water ice, use the straight shaft BD BRS tool with Alaska pick. Alaska picks rockband.gif! Replacement picks for the Chouinard X-tools are no longer available retail. If someone wants these tools and wants the recurve/droop picks, I have some I might sell.

BTW, that price is absurd unless there is historical value to these now!

Yes, I am an expert when it comes to this line of tools because I have them all still.

Maybe you should check you garage, and see if they are still there... hellno3d.gifhellno3d.gifhellno3d.gif

Lambone said:

You guys ever look at the "vintage" ice axes on ebay? Some of them go for like 300-400 dollars! Crazy rolleyes.gifbigdrink.gif

I'm thinking of going to some old Euro ski lodges and stealing them off the walls! bigdrink.gif

Grab some of those old wood and gut snowshoes while you're at it. They are suddenly worth big bucks too.