How did you feel?

CraigA

So, Friday I climbed Hood and was checking out the upper part of Cooper Spur.....to which I said "@%, that's insane." I'm still going to climb it this year, but it brings up my question: What did you think or how did you feel the first time you climbed a 50+ degree snow/ice slope? I'm just wondering if the "butterflies" I feel/experience on the gradually more intense routes are a "normal" reaction?

Craig

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by CraigA:
So, Friday I climbed Hood and was checking out the upper part of Cooper Spur.....to which I said "@%, that's insane." I'm still going to climb it this year, but...

Buck-up man, 'cause unless you plan to shuttle back to around to your car, you're gonna be downclimbing that section too...after that climbing up it will seem tame in comparison

When I did the Coop Spur it was in July and instead of 50 f-ing degrees it was more like 60+ at the top in mushy conditions with a partner who was wearing crampons for the first time. I wasn't thinking about how scary it was. I was thinking lets get off this thing before it gets any warmer and we ride a big snow slide to our death. At the top we had to traverse around the stuff they call rock up there to the right to make the summit. Now, anything below 50 degrees is a slog. shocked.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by willstrickland:

Buck-up man, 'cause unless you plan to shuttle back to around to your car, you're gonna be downclimbing that section too...after that climbing up it will seem tame in comparison

Downclimbing Cooper Spur is NOT recommended. A lot of people have lost their lives going down that route. Most people do a car shuttle.

I'm agreeing with willstrickland here. It is an option, depending upon snow, weather conditions, and of course, party experience/intelligence, as we all know. To categorically recommend that it is a BAD idea is unjustified. Yes, people have died descending CS, but many have not, myself among them.

I've done it both ways, first time w/o a shuttle, when the snow was dense after a long (week+) period of consolidation. Another time, you'd have been an idiot to attempt a descent by the route, so we went down the donkey trail and had a bitch of a time getting back around the mountain to the rig, and we missed work Monday. rolleyes.gif" border="0 But i believe i'm still alive because of it.

Don't let pride, laziness, or the desire to get back to the cars quickly drive your decision, CraigA. If the snow/weather/party condition/attention span sucks, head for the lodge, get some beers in ya, and hitch around to your car. [big Drink]

One thing we did learn: On the descent, if you're going to need a ride back around the mountain, hit up every climbing party you see on the way down for a ride until one is secured. It may even cost you buying them some beers, but WTF. Climbers will be more likely to give you a ride than the skiers and boarders, and they're more fun to drink with anyway. grin.gif" border="0

Get yourself some education on snow/avalanche conditions and what constitutes "dangerous", watch the weather for days before your trip, know your (and your party's) limitations, and be prepared for the eventuality that you might have to bail off that route if conditions suck.

As for 50 degree snow slopes... [sleep]

[ 04-03-2002: Message edited by: sobo ]

quote:

i agree with rob. this is very bad advice. if you don't have any way of doing a shuttle, downclimb sunshine or do something else. also, get a very early start going up. the sun hits cooper at sunrise and it can be sloppy up there by 8 am.

as for climbing 50 degree slopes, they never seem as steep once you are on them.