jailhouse rock/ sonora

scott

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I climbed at The "Grotto", quite near Jailhouse Rock a couple of years ago on December 24th. We had the place to ourselves.

Lots of doable cracks on columnar (basalt?), plus many of the aretes bolted. Kinda like Vantage, though the rock seemed more solid.

If you happen to have it, check out Climbing No. 140 (1993) p. 50 .

IVE CLIMBED THERE...

steep and hard bolted climbing. i think the warm up is .10d or .11d with the rest of routes going up from there...

there is an area a bit north of there called the grotto, it is basalt cloumn climbing.

there is a new guide book for the area called sonora pass climbing or something like that.. prolly cannot find it up here..

the crag would be pretty good in winter as it has a nice west/southwest aspect. i do not think there are any access concerns from what i remember...cool area to hike in..and watch out for poison oak and shit.

sonora pass area would not be a good winter desitination for the higher crags, as the pass is actually closed in winter..but it is an expansive area with limestone, balsalt and granite to climb on.

i am gonna be climbing down there later this week.

bigdrink.gif