Goodell Cr Landslide

kThurner

David_Parker said:

j_b said:

Lowell_Skoog said:

In JoAnn Roe's "North Cascadians" and Fred Beckey's "Range of Glaciers" the authors write that in the 1890s road planners concluded that the Skagit gorge was not a feasible route through the mountains. In the 1880s, after gold was discovered near Ruby Creek, prospectors built what was called "the Goat Trail" up the canyon, using a boardwalk secured to iron spikes drilled into the rock. Austin Pass and Hannegan Pass, near the Mt Baker ski area, were discovered in the late 1800s by Bellingham men looking for a better route to the Ruby mines. Cascade Pass was for many years considered a more suitable route for a road across the mountains than the Skagit gorge. The Harts Pass road was built from the Methow Valley to the Slate Creek mining district because prospectors concluded it would be easier to get there from the east than from the west, up the Skagit gorge.

It looks like those old-timers knew a thing or two.

so why was the skagit gorge selected? hydro-power politics? what were the arguments against cascade pass?

Cascade Pass was actually a better way through the mountains. Unfortunately it was the shores of Lake Chelan that killed it.

Unfortunately? Maybe I'm confused, or misunderstanding, but I am pretty fucking glad they didn't bulldoze a road up and over cascade pass. That would have been a royal mistake.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dru said:

catbirdseat said:

They need some way to take down the remaining unstable rock high on the hillside so they can safely get to work on repairs. I wonder if they have considered howitzers? It might take a few shots to get the job done. Another way might be to lower charges on ropes from above. They could use telescopes or helicopters to aid in locating the charges where they are needed.

Hey genius howitzers aren't gonna have much effect, do you see the size of the rock? Maybe if they used a spare tac. nuke....

If the rock is as unstable as they claim it to be then it won't take much, will it? On the other hand, Dru, I'm going to volunteer you to dangle from a rope with a prybar. I'll bet you'll get the job done in record time. You'll be a big hero.

Here's a couple snapshots. I used a very wide angle lense on these. The existing lake is not much to see. It's quite small and full of trees. The runout is spread over a huge area and did not form a very steep dam feature. The slides on the east bank appear to be more the result of the main slide impacting them.

For those concerned about it's location, it is roughly opposite the first of the two year-round side streams that cross the old logging road (the one that had it's own slide event a couple years ago).

showphoto.php?photo=2794

showphoto.php?photo=2795

(Well shoot - sorry about this, but after posting the pics in the Gallery, how do I display them in a post here? )

Edited by kThurner