Drilling into Rock

leithal

So this is actually a work question!! bigdrink.gif

I've climbed for over 10 years, but know nothing about drilling rock, but thought some of you fancy sport climbing-new route developers would be able to help...What equipment would be needed to drill a 1/4"-3/8" hole into basalt? What type of drill bit, how long would it take to drill a hole 3-4" deep, and how long (how many holes) would each bit last for? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, michelle

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

leithal said:

So this is actually a work question!! bigdrink.gif

I've climbed for over 10 years, but know nothing about drilling rock, but thought some of you fancy sport climbing-new route developers would be able to help...What equipment would be needed to drill a 1/4"-3/8" hole into basalt? What type of drill bit, how long would it take to drill a hole 3-4" deep, and how long (how many holes) would each bit last for? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, michelle

hammer drill. masonry bit. 1/4 inch hole 2 inches deep will take bout 7 seconds. 3/8 at 3 will take 24. a milwaukee tools sds bit will last for many many holes. it will dull so the drilling will take more time. you can sharpen them with a grinder disc put in the drill chuck.

leithal said:

Thanks all, keep it coming. And Sobo- I'm a park ranger- yep, one of those friendly tree huggers that people love to hate.... boxing_smiley.gif

Hmmmm, so didja see Dave Schuldt's question above...? This is getting interesting. A park ranger that bolts... more study is required.

I can see tons of uses for holes drilled in basalt. anchors to stabilize dangerous flakes, anchors for handrails, foundations for foot bridges, for cameras or sensors, for nest boxes, for 'fee area' signs, for gates, guy wires.....and tons of other uses.

But, yes, I'm curious too.

Thinker, you've got the right ideas. No new routes going up (at least that any of us rangers are putting up) but instead more along the lines of a handrail/ and hillside stabilization. I'm not really involved in the project so don't know most of the details (that should feed Lummox's fire!) but somehow I've become the contact for anything regarding rock or climbing in the agency. Sorry to get all your hopes up...

So if yer talking low angle rock and good stances a gas powered rotor hammer is the ticket. As far as sharpening carbide sds bits I wouldn't recommend it, the dust is toxic and can cause health problems. Buy a new bit cheapy!

If not gas then battery powered is the way to go, min 18 volts and 1/4-3/8" is about right for 18v rotor hammer. Probably get about 20-30 1/4" holes 3" deep I'm guessing. fewer in 3/8"

Hammer drills suck unless your drilling into ceramic tile.

Retrosaurus said:

Smoker said:

...Probably get about 20-30 1/4" holes 3" deep I'm guessing. fewer in 3/8" ...

You will be lucky to get half that many holes in basalt. It is much harder to drill than granite.

It's also slower going, basalt won't diffuse the heat from drilling. You need to allow the bit to cool regularly or it will get too dull to drill. If it is at gound-level application, keep a can of water nearby to dip the hot bit into.