silverton is beyond sick!!!

thelawgoddess

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy crap, people! Are you (alpine k) trying to say East coast skiing is better than CO skiing with your 'anywhere in N. America but Co" statement...? The expert slopes out there are more like easy ice climbs littered w/ moonstones for flavor.Gimme a break! Come out to CO in the spring when we get dumped on and nobody is on the slopes anymore and the tourists have all gone home. Do you guys actually feel you have better skiing in that shithole, rain soaked, state called WA? rolleyes.gif Is anyone up there under the delusion that you actually have powder skiing? boxing_smiley.gif

LawGoddess- Welcome to Colorado but ...humph... already missing the the NW? wazzup.gif All the sunshine here giving you a headache? moon.gifwave.gif

Griz, you've got bad reading comprehension. The east coast is not overhyped but CO is.

Lets do a little comparison shopping. As of today the snow base in inches at the following ski areas.

CO

Telluride = 19" hahaha.gif

Keystone = 15" yellaf.gif

Vail = 18" hahaha.gif

Steamboat = 33" not a bad start

WA

Crystal = 37" thumbs_up.gif

Stevens Pass = 51" thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Baker = 70" fruit.gif

As far as quality goes it's a mixed bag around here from fruit.gif to wazzup.gif on the other hand in CO the best conditions are fruit.gif but the long weeks inbetween dumps are wazzup.gifwazzup.gif and skiing on a skimpy base is thumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gifthumbs_down.gif

I have spent the last 3 years skiing in Colorado. I have skied most of the major ski areas. After growing up skiing in Washington, I can say for a fact that the major ski areas in Colorado hardly offer the terrain that a place like Alpental or Chair 6 at Crystal have to offer. If you can go all day at Alpental, you would have no problem with any of the "black diamond" runs in Colorado. Then again, nothing beats skiing 16 inches of new snow in the Vail back bowls on a season pass that costs $299.

Blow me JRCO! When I left Telluride in '95 the season pass there was $980. TLG informs that now it has gone up to $1300. Now I don't see how Vail can be $299 wazzup.gifhellno3d.gif When I lived in Crested Butte, they had a program where you could buy less expensive season passes based on blocking out the hoildays then weekends and so on, which would get less expensive the more limited the days got. Now for $299 at Vail I would guess that you can ski there every Tuesday and Wednesday, every other week, but not on holidays. yellaf.gif

That said, Vail is one fuckin' big ski area and it would take one awhile to get bored there. The downside is the town sucks thumbs_down.gif

Kurt I knew that quip of mine would get your goat but sheesh wazzup.gif Colorado ain't that bad. I guess it is so hyped because it gets a lot of dry snow and sun. Let the lemmings luxuriate at their resorts. We all up here have been having a great week and a half of early season powder. and we have permanent snowfields to ski on all summer.

tongue.gif

Goat Getter

Ok Billgoat. You got me. The pass was actually $319 this year. ($299 last year). It includes unlimited skiing at Breck, Keystone, & A-Basin (no restrictions); and 10 total days at Vail or Beaver Creek (restricted christmas and president's day). Sorry for the misinormation.

Hey next time you are out this way, drop me a line. I will help you work on your snow plow. Remember, hands on your kneess and make your skis look like a piece of pizza.

Alpine K, I was talking about this statement you made earlier in the thread... not the hype factor :

"TLG, I've skied at Teluride and all over CO and I don't deny it's cool, but I'd take skiing in the rest of North America over CO any day. Ice climbing and rock climbing are different stories "

North America includes the east coast, ya know? So, what i'm asking is if you would actually rather ski that shit on the east coast than CO? Damn, that's just harsh and makes no sense. confused.gif I'm trying to judge your level of loathing for the skiing in my great little state...and see if it has slipped into the nutso category.

I'm not going to debate snow base #'s with you, for sure. They are usually pumped up, promotional crap for ski resorts anyway. Probably even more so in WA to get people out on those dreary,overcast days to enjoy some freezing rain while on the slopes... pitty.gif I think that pretty much sums up 90% of my two ski seasons when I lived up there.

The East Coast is a black hole.

As to your pathetic attemt to dodge the whole issue of base depth. I would say that all ski areas exagerate total snow depth, therefore when you compare area to area you get a good sense of what's going on.

Actually the skimpy bases that you guys have in CO are even more reason to lie, and if you add 5 inches to a 15" base you get a greater percentage increase than if you add 5" to 70."

Keep telling yourself and others your lies about the state of CO. That will help keep the northwest free of suckers. We don't want you here. the_finger.gif

griz said:

Holy crap, people! Are you (alpine k) trying to say East coast skiing is better than CO skiing with your 'anywhere in N. America but Co" statement...? The expert slopes out there are more like easy ice climbs littered w/ moonstones for flavor.Gimme a break! Come out to CO in the spring when we get dumped on and nobody is on the slopes anymore and the tourists have all gone home. Do you guys actually feel you have better skiing in that shithole, rain soaked, state called WA? rolleyes.gif Is anyone up there under the delusion that you actually have powder skiing? boxing_smiley.gif

LawGoddess- Welcome to Colorado but ...humph... already missing the the NW? wazzup.gif All the sunshine here giving you a headache? moon.gifwave.gif

I lived in CO for four years and got at least 100 days of skiing in while I was there and have to agree with Kurt. With the exception of A-Basin and Crested Butte, the terrain in CO is just plain weak. Add that to a heavy reliance on man-made snow, a skimpy-ass base, massive-overgrooming, three weeks between storms, and a preponderance of wankers from the Texas and the plains and you have the overhyped conglomeration of express-quad served dissapointment that is skiing in Colorado. Anyone who's idea of great skiing involves meandering down weak-ass groomers with their knees locked together in a neon-accented one-piece will absolutely be in heaven in CO. Anyone who values terrain, vert, and skiing on new snow more than once a season will be much happier in WA. The worst part of it is that just when the good snow starts falling, the wankers that run the resorts start shutting down most of the lifts. And as far as the snow is concerned, anyone who can't ski in the powder we get out here isn't much of a skier - and presumably has little interest in hucking. Hop off anything over 10 feet high and you'll be much happier landing a bunch of dense coastal powder resting on a 10 foot base than when punching through 18" of month old snow on top of dirt.

I grew up dreaming about skiing in Colorado, but learned the cruel reality once I moved out there, and soon began dreaming about the day when I could get back on some real terrain in the Crystal backcountry or Blackcomb/Whistler. The sunshine was nice though. thumbs_up.gif

Oh my, shocked.gif alpinek! I was just trying to spare your feelings and let you feel like you have good skiing up there for the time being but ,well, screw that...

Come July 4th, I'll be in A Basin taking the chairlift up to 13k for some good but fun skiing in 70 degree sunshine with some ski bunny in a bikini top. You will be slogging up to Muir or some stupid shit like that with your skis on your back for several hours for a 15 minute run in really bad snow conditions. Why? Cuz all your huge damn snow base has been gone and melted from Crystal or the Pass or whatever else you seem to think is great for several months now... Oh, yeah, there is always Hood... yelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyellowsleep.gif

Go play in a mud puddle. wave.gif

Happy Turkey Day, people. Even you, Alpine K... smirk.gif

Who give shit about silverton? Not Mr Chockstone.

Colorado have good snow. Some here scare to find and say. Not mean much else.

Snow in Washinton is shit sometime. Most of time at resort for money. Fluff snow find in woods in any state it seem to Chockstone. Just any place fine with walk. Find right place not hard.

Say sick in colorado is stupid when snow also everywhere also abundant in place. Find steep fluff snow in washington no poblem away from lift if look.

I find nice snow compare to China here if look right place. Pay price for ticket if must. Good fluff snow is here and there and everywhere.

Nobody cool just bekause ski in magazine kool place. Cool because ski with people to have fun and diskuver for urself.

griz said:

Come July 4th, I'll be in A Basin taking the chairlift up to 13k for some good but fun skiing in 70 degree sunshine with some ski bunny in a bikini top. You will be slogging up to Muir or some stupid shit like that with your skis on your back for several hours for a 15 minute run in really bad snow conditions. Why? Cuz all your huge damn snow base has been gone and melted from Crystal or the Pass or whatever else you seem to think is great for several months now... Oh, yeah, there is always Hood... yelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyellowsleep.gif

Go play in a mud puddle. wave.gif

Happy Turkey Day, people. Even you, Alpine K... smirk.gif

If all you're interested in is skiing lift serviced crap then you are truely a moron. In a good year, like this is shaping up to be, you can ski fron the top of Rainier in early August and still get a 7 to 8000' run. I'm not shocked that you are too much of a wuss to hike.

I've skied at A Basin in June and all the good stuff is gone; leaving you with runs only slightly better than Hood.