silverton is beyond sick!!!

thelawgoddess

if you've never heard of it, it's a little place out here in colorado. 100% advanced/expert terrain ... and they're not kidding. check it out! i helped bootpack this weekend. got to hike all the way to the top yesterday since it was too windy for them to run their lift. man was that work!!! but man will it be worth it to come back and ski a day there for free this season!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

glassgowkiss said:

the only ski are in the us where it is for real. so stfu and don't spray about this place, so it doesn't get overrun by wankers boxing_smiley.gif

Too late Kissyface, I've already been there, even before they had a lift.... yellaf.gifboxing_smiley.gif

Think Globally, Ski Locally thumbs_up.gif

TLG, looks like you are having no problems getting dialed in out there....Good on ya thumbs_up.gif

bigdrink.gif

Goat

thelawgoddess said:

if you've never heard of it, it's a little place out here in colorado. 100% advanced/expert terrain ... and they're not kidding. check it out! i helped bootpack this weekend. got to hike all the way to the top yesterday since it was too windy for them to run their lift. man was that work!!! but man will it be worth it to come back and ski a day there for free this season!

omfg. ya move out the neighborhood and it is like the world has suddenly ben dicovered by you. get over yourself already. rolleyes.gif

gapertimmy said:

ummm i think cats out of the bag about silverton, didn't they just have a feature on it in powder mag? kind of a novel idea, yet still a lift serviced ski hill

from Silvertoon's web site:

Proud to be ranked

#1 in Steeps and #1 in Powder in the USA

by Skiing Magazine

Ticket price: Winter 2003-4 $99 November, December, and April. $119 Jan, Feb, & March 2004 per day with a guide--no unguided skiing until the BLM completes the Environmental Impact Study.

it better be sick for that much $$

although for $30 it sounds good, when it that supposed to happen?

As far as I'm concerned Colorado is an area we should sacrifice to the gumby's. Sure the skiing can be great, but the state has gone out of it's way to build up its image as the skiing meca in the US.

I say fine let the gumbys have it.

I want you all to note how TLG is getting paid to boot pack the slopes at Silverton. Nobody boot packs slopes in the Cascades, BC, the Wasatch, or the Tetons. The truth is unless you boot pack a slope in places like Colorado the slope will keep sliding and sliding with skiers on it and never build up a base. Backcountry skiing in CO is pretty sketchy till spring.

Colorado seems nice on a superficial level, but in reality it lacks substance.

TLG, I've skied at Teluride and all over CO and I don't deny it's cool, but I'd take skiing in the rest of North America over CO any day. Ice climbing and rock climbing are different stories wink.gif

AlpineK said:

The truth is unless you boot pack a slope in places like Colorado the slope will keep sliding and sliding with skiers on it and never build up a base.

What do you mean by this? Do you mean avalanches will sweep off snow? Or do you mean skiers will brush off the snow? How would bootpacking help either?

In CO you have cold temps and lots of wind. Also early in the season there will be long periods without snow. All this leads to typically unstable snowpack until spring when the snowpack becomes equatemp.

Boot packing a slope mixes the layers and thus makes the slope more stable alowing a deeper base to build up. There is a good chance that skiers would continually trigger avys on slopes in CO, so a base would never build up and a lot of skiers might get seriously fucked up.

There's an article in on of last years issues of Couloir. The subject is a semi-bc ski bowl that's part of Aspen Highlands.

Yeah, boot packing for passes is a time honored tradition amoung ski bums throughout Colorado. I have to say tho that there is lots of great backcountry to be had out there and if you pay attention to the patterns, it is a lot more hit than miss. Sure the avy danger can be high but terrain is everything. Don't ski stupid places at stupid times.

Colorado is great, but after discovering the Northwest, with its rugged, spectacular backcountry, local, homegrown ski areas and the 40% dicount skiing just across the border( in towns containing friendly, positive, helpful locals)....I just ain't goin' back!

bigdrink.gif

Goat

AlpineK said:

TLG, I've skied at Teluride and all over CO and I don't deny it's cool, but I'd take skiing in the rest of North America over CO any day. Ice climbing and rock climbing are different stories wink.gif

i totally get ya, alpinek. i miss the northwest already, but i'm glad to be able to check out a new area and i'm psyched to be here. sure miss having freshies already, though!

AlpineK, I boot packed in all those places, the PNW, Utah, the Tetons. What I've learned from these internet chat rooms

is unimformed opinions fly all over the place. Someone reads something or hears a rumor they repeat it as fact. Silverton ain't that great, give me the Hole any day.

I've seen boot packing done on a regular basis in CO. I can only think of 1 or 2 times I've seen boot packing done around here.

I'm with you on Jackson Hole. That sounds like the place to be in the US for lift accessed bc skiing. If we start talking about British Columbia I can think of a few places that offer sick lift accessed skiing for less than $10 a day.

mattp said:Why isn't one of the responses to your other poll like this:

Ski PollNone of the above. TLG should simply bail out because the skiing in Colorado SUCKS!

stop teasing me! the skiing doesn't suck here. the lack of freshies may, though. tongue.gifps - jackson hole was my first choice of a place to work. they just didn't have any "decent" jobs to apply for this year. cry.gif