Wall pulley

Sol

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How much weight do you think you'll haul? Personally, I think hauling sucks, jugging with a pack isn't that bad, and specialized gear just makes the rack heavier. You'll lead with jumars, or ascenders, anyways, right? Why not just use a plain pulley (useful for clipping to your harness as you wander roped-up on glaciars so you look like you know what you're doing), or none at all for lighter loads (it's very fast to handline. Just attach a weighted jumar well below you on the haul line, and whip it up)?

I don't think Petzl makes the wall hauler (after they bought out Rock Exotica) any more, so if that's what you decide on, you'll have to find a second hand one.

There are also some made by Ushba, I have heard that the Hogwauler is the deluxe wall pulley.

This web page has scads of info on all sorts of haulers, including the Pro traxion, and the Wall Hauler. thumbs_up.gif

Kong makes an exceptional hauling pulley, it kindof looks like a hodge-podge job, where they seem to have bolted one of their "modular" ascenders onto an extended rear plate of a pulley. Anyway, this thing has a 4" ball bearing sheave and an ascender for a rope grab. As an additional bonus, the back plate has a normal clip hole, but the front plate of the pulley has a clip gate on it, so you can load/unload your rope without having to unclip the device, possibly dropping it off the wall (like you would with a gri-gri). I haven't hauled any tremendously large loads, but for the 160lbs we were pulling, it was super super easy. Prior to this I had busted my ass with a mini-traxion, and I am convinced that (at least for hauling) that thing is sh*t . The cam gets hung up on the rope all the time, and the design seems to have been put together with "look cool" being more important than "function properly".

freeclimb9 said:

ScottP said:

Don't you just love unsolicited advice?

madgo_ron.gifboxing_smiley.gifhellno3d.gifyelrotflmao.gif

I assumed the wallhauler question related to doing one wall in Zion. That typically means one night on the wall. Why spend money for something you'll use a dozen times?

But, hey, you're a teacher, so you know all about "unsolicited advice". pitty.gif

Yeah I proabaly don't need it for Zion. But i'm el cap dreamin and thought I'd get a start on ye ole mountain of wall gear. the way i figure the lamest thing about wall climbing seems to be hauling, so why not make that part of the experience just a little bit easier.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a Petzl Pro-Traxion. Good system. Definitely better than the old WallHauler I had, and much better than the "use your jumars and a regular pulley". Only drawback is the the smallish pulley wheel. It could stand to be about twice as big. I believe the Kong Block Roll device has a rather large wheel on it.

Gri-gri sucks to haul anything other than maybe a light pack, and in that case I'd probably just use a couple biners and a garda hitch (one of the more useful knots to know).

But, you said you were El Cap dreamin, so see if you can find a Kong...I'd try ClimbMax in PDX, they are the only full-on Kong distributor I know of in the PNW, and if they don't have it, I'm sure they could get it.

I did my first wall hauling with a regular pulley, a jumar, and a tibloc because I was soloing and had to use the other jug and my gri-gri to rap down and un-stick the bag a coulpe of times. After that episode in stupidity/cheap bastardness, I coughed up the money for a wall hauler...which kinda sucked. I'm happy with the ProTraxion.

The way it worked for me is the largest in diameter and the lightest pulley u can find with the Petzl basic (or alike) weighted and attach to it allot better (=efficient) then anything sold the Kong “roll block” is nice but also expensive ($111 shipped from barrabes) and heavy (2.2lb) my other option will be the”UP101” from CMI for $84.15 (add about $7 for shipping) and 1.625lb

a word of caution regarding the pro-traxion:

It can fail to lock under certain circumstances. Once ic clipped it straight into a belay bolt, and as I started to haul, the bags started pulling me up!

I found allways ussing a sling to attatch the pully to the anchor gave it enough freedom of movement, and it worked fine.

Petzl has a warning on their web-site. small diameter ropes work better.