Free routes on Upper Wall

bigwalling

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

just get daryl cramer's sky valley rock.....it's just a crag, you know the rating, you know how to hikeup there....nuff said.......

i think asking for beta on crag routes is stupid..plus your attmept to create some sort of online guide to index on the rockclimbing.com webpage indicates that you already have the ability to copy the beta verbatium from the guidebook....is that not called plagerism.....?

just go climb it......

and heres the beta, i'll quit ranting...

its graniteits beautifulthey are all proud routes.

Sisu seemed somewhat contrived to me, though it did have some fun moves on it. The first pitch is really dirty due to much water flowing on it. If you are intent on doing it to the top, so be it, but otherwise, I suggest rapping from the top of the 6th.

Davis Holland-Lovin Arms, while not a sport route, is a must do. Beware the seep on the first Lovin Arms pitch. I almost greased out and cratered on that thing.

Centerfold is one of my favorite routes at Index. The pitch that goes through the roof is really cool. It starts out on a 10c slab past bolts and then pulls through the roof at 5.8. The last pitch up the 10c corner is really fun also.

I know this isn't really beta, but like Erik says, just go do them.

quote:

Originally posted by Matt Anderson:
Yeah, and Royal Robbins can only lead 5.9 . . .
rolleyes.gif" border="0

Relax Matt. No need to get your panties in a bind.The little winky thing is there to say "Don't take this post so seriously."

It seemed 10c to me at the time I led it, which was a few years ago.

Of the routes being discussed:

Centerfold (as well as much of index) is perhaps overhyped in my humble opinion.

Swim is really footworky and felt really stout for the grade.

DH to Lovin' arms is one of the few free routes up there that sees enough traffic to stay somewhat clean.

So many of those bolted routes up there were scrubbed big time with a wire brush (about 12 years ago), saw a short period of traffic and then grew over. -not much fun

Just my two centsI'm in the minority on these thoughts though.I rarely go to index anymore