Biggest SandBag [Local Route]

EWolfe

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey MCash, Tangled up in Blue is sweet, but just to the right of it I think is the ultimate wantage sandbag - ponykeg. It gets pretty offwidth at the top dontcha think. I've heard many a sprayer claim that Air Guitar is noticeably easier. confused.gif Try it without clipping the hanger. Sowweeeeet! thumbs_up.gif

Hey MCash, Tangled up in Blue is sweet, but just to the right of it I think is the ultimate wantage sandbag - ponykeg. It gets pretty offwidth at the top dontcha think. I've heard many a sprayer claim that Air Guitar is noticeably easier. confused.gif Try it without clipping the hanger. Sowweeeeet! thumbs_up.gif

Ponykeg is Sandbagged? yelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gif

Ponykeg is Sandbagged? yelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gif

vantage sandbag...now i've heard everything! yellaf.gif

of course it is...if you don't know how to do a particular style of climbing its "sandbagged" (like ow)...its similar to the first time you get on a route it really has a harder rating, really it does... cantfocus.gifyellaf.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

peeps need to trek to home base (the ditch) for a taste of what "benchmark" levels are...pretty soon ex38 will be the standard ooo.gifthumbs_down.gif

Edited by RuMR

• 1 year later...

calamity jam, the lieback section near the start heading left.

Calamity certainly spanked me! That's the hardest move I've had to pull on lead. It made me wish my fingers were much smaller so I could actually lieback through the whole thing!!

I did Alley Oop Chimney in 1986 and made a note in my Carlstad & Brooks guidebook that I used one point of aid. I remeber it was way hard, and I was leading 5.9s back then. So, yes, I agree it is sandbagged!

Dwayner introduced me to Alley Oop Chimney....probably 1989. I got frustrated and bailed. Then I climbed Bomb Shelter (with one enormous flight out into space when I peeled off the lay back section) which seemed less chalenging. I can't remember the grade on Alley Oop but I do remember feeling humbled. Maybe a big lunge is the secret.

Carlstad/Brooks is still a great guide. Most Leavenworth routes not found in that guide aren't worth doing.

• 1 year later...
If anyone has the beta for Hindquarters, I'll take it too. It's been a couple years since I tried it, but at the time that bulge seemed like an enigma.

If I remember correctly:

Get your left hand solid. Move your feet left. Push and reach faaar right. Seems hard for 5.10a, but the rest of the route seems easy.

-snip- I felt that the rating was entirely reasonable for a tr, but leading it left me feeling 10b, easily. -snip-

I normally don't play "pile on the new guy" but this statement bothers me, and I've been hearing a lot of this crap lately.

The rating of a climb has nothing to do with it's protection. It only has to do with the difficulty of a climb. The "R", "X", "PG13", or ::skull:: speak to the available protection.

If it feels 5.9 on toprope, it's 5.9. You don't need a harder grade in a book to lead it, you need bigger balls.

BoC is... BoC. All you need to know is that it is a steep widening hand crack that protects well. The rest you can figure out for yourself.

I'm sure the sportos who brought you 7 distinct letter grades could even come up with a special term for when you 'onsight' something for which you may not know the precise consensus grade to 3 decimal places. :rolleyes:

But for the sake of promoting immensely entertaining threads like this one, let's instead randomly change the rating on every climb by a 'full grade' every year, so that we always have something to bitch and moan about. Next year's thread: "Softest Index wussroutes!"