For Runners

ClimbingH

For me, running is the most effective cardio workout to stay in shape, even though it is my least favorite.

What do you do to keep yourself motivated to keep running consistently? confused.gif

I am one of those who think about running as a chore, and usually run 3 to 4 days a week for 3 weeks, then don't run for next 2 weeks and lose most of endurance I have built up. cantfocus.gif

Thanks wave.gif

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with you, running is a chore. My solution is to waste money on new stuff. Right now, I'm loading songs on a little mp3 player I picked up a few weeks ago. It's great to run to music that you like, with every song something uptempo. It so sucked running with a radio, when all the stations I can pick up are doing ads at the same time.

You can get a 128MB model for <100 bucks.

ClimbingH said:

For me, running is the most effective cardio workout to stay in shape, even though it is my least favorite.

What do you do to keep yourself motivated to keep running consistently? confused.gif

I am one of those who think about running as a chore, and usually run 3 to 4 days a week for 3 weeks, then don't run for next 2 weeks and lose most of endurance I have built up. cantfocus.gif

Thanks wave.gif

are you feelin mentally burnt out? mabe you should try lowering your workout number and trying to go for 5 weeks? i dont know. if there is no motivation, there is little you can do in my experience. confused.gif

i've been running competitively for 10 years and still get this motivation problem, but i find one of these to usually work. run in new places, do a trail run with snaf.gif, go run at night, find a partner who's motivated, sign up for a race, look for hot snaf.gif and chase them, hill repeats, listen to music, listen to the rain, stomp through puddles like you're a kid...the list goes on and on. do anything to make it fun and different.

seriously though, one of the best things you can do is sign up for a short road race. it'll make you want to train out of the shear fear of coming in last. pitty.gif

wazzumountaineer said:

run in new places, do a trail run with snaf.gif, go run at night, find a partner who's motivated, sign up for a race, look for hot snaf.gif and chase them, hill repeats, listen to music, listen to the rain, stomp through puddles like you're a kid...the list goes on and on. do anything to make it fun and different.

Running trails is so much better than pounding concrete. Its better for your body, more entertaining (better scenery, usually) and you won't get trash thrown at you !grin.gif

And when you start to get used to one area change it up. Also, try not to do the same sort of runs all the time. I find if I only run distance for a while I get wasted mentally and need something different.

music = big thumbs_up.gif

Good points, everyone. Thanks! wave.gif

Music, trail running, mixing routes, also running up stairs or just doing uphills thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Also what keeps me going is to try find loop runs, as I completely despise there-and-back runs. I definitely have to know either how far or how long I am running before I start because I just can't do it like Forrest when he decides that he just feels like running. And, I need to run alone as I get mad when I go with someone who is faster and keeps yepping when I not doing all that well, or even worse going with someone slower to deliberately prolong the suffer fest.

My motivation is especially low on days after a bad run....but then once I start running again, it doesn't feel all that bad. the_finger.gif

one more thing... go somewhere new and don't take a watch. that way you'll have no idea how far or how long you've been running until after the workout. it sounds kind of wierd, but i've done some incredible workouts this way. you don't think about how bad you feel or how much longer/further you have to go. just go until you feel reasonably tired and turn around.

one note about stairs, be careful with those. they alter your stride because they're uniform and "real" ground isn't. not really a concern for you probably, but just a thought. also, walk down them because you can really screw up an ankle if you trip on the way back down.

my last $.02

wazzumountaineer said:

one more thing... go somewhere new and don't take a watch. that way you'll have no idea how far or how long you've been running until after the workout. it sounds kind of wierd, but i've done some incredible workouts this way. you don't think about how bad you feel or how much longer/further you have to go. just go until you feel reasonably tired and turn around.

one note about stairs, be careful with those. they alter your stride because they're uniform and "real" ground isn't. not really a concern for you probably, but just a thought. also, walk down them because you can really screw up an ankle if you trip on the way back down.

my last $.02

leave the watch at home! great advice. i almost never run on pavement or through my neighborhood. always on trails or something close. i love to watch my the scenery change through the seasons on my regular routes.

if i'm about to skip a run there's two things that i do. the first, put on my shoes, go out the door, start running. you can tell yourself that you'll only go for 10 minutes. usually i feel better after a few minutes and end up running much longer. if that doesn't do the trick, then i commit to doing some type of work out. even if you're not running you're maintaining the habit of working out daily.

I stay motivated by running where there are hot women to look at, like Green Lake in the summer. thumbs_up.gif In the winter I like to go run when it is cold and clear in just shorts and a tee shirt (no gloves, no hat). I get really cold and it makes me want to run faster so I can get done and go back inside (but I guess that ends up feeling like a chore). That is motivation for once you start running but as far as getting motivated to leave the house ... well lets just say I haven't ran lately. And music is big for me, I can't run without my MP3 player.

ClimbingH said:

I ran cross country in high school in the 60's, and I still run. But not without problems now and then. I realize I have to have a regular running program if I want to go into the mountains. If I stop running for a couple weeks, I go downhill fast.

I have found it is more important to run regularly, than to have a good workout. As long as I only take one day off between runs, I can work out as little as 20 minutes and keep my conditioning. bigdrink.gif

I think having someone to run with is a whole lot easier to get motivated. Signing up for a race helps too. Being with someone faster can suck but it's payback like a m*thrfr when you can either keep up or put a little distance ahead of that source of time-again pain! (of course this person could just be feeling sorry for you and not want you to get too demotivated running with them) Whatever works, works.

I think that those who run at Greenlake must be undersexed. That place sucks for running. No parking, crowded, flat, boring. The chicks don't make up for it's other deficiencies.

My favorite place to run used to be at Kelsey Creek Park in Bellevue. On the big hill behind the farm there is a trail system that is made using fir bark. It's really nice on the feet and knees. It twists and turns, goes up and down all over the place. One time around by the longest route is about 3/4 mile. Go around four times and you have an awesome workout, especially if you sprint the big hill till you want to die. It's all in the forest and quite beautiful. Check it out.

CBS, you must just be getting too old to get the smiles from the hotties at Greenlake....those make all the difference in the world. I like GL for motivation when I tire of running hills and dodging heavy bike traffic. There's always plenty of room to run in the grass or around the outside loop, too.

catbirdseat said:

I think that those who run at Greenlake must be undersexed. That place sucks for running. No parking, crowded, flat, boring. The chicks don't make up for it's other deficiencies.

Shit, are you saying once you get married you stop looking at cute chicks??? Yikes!!! But I certainly understand you not getting many smiles, although I'm sure you get plenty of screams...

I live nearby so parking is not a problem, but that would be a problem for others. True it is crowded, but you must have people to have cute chicks to see! Flat?? Why in the hell do you think I run there, going uphill is too hard. cry.gif And I'd hardly call it boring. There are so many freaks that hang around there I always have a laugh to myself.

Anyways, to each his own. Have fun, and eyes off my ladies!!

boxing_smiley.gif