Forbidden Peak and Mt. Buckner conditions

Dima

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure, no prob. I'll just run up to the basin and check things out. Should be nice and sunny up there right now. I'm sure the NF Buckner is in "classic" shape.

Seriously though... oh wait this is a troll right...

Go for it bro'. but don' t expect a TR from someone who's been there lately. Why don't you tell US how it was?

I wasn't losing my cool- I laughed a lot reading that question.

I'm not working these days, so maybe I should change my "friendly" photo.

should I start using an avatar so I can unleash the spray that some of you deserve?

Layton if you're suddenly the nice guy, why don't you go up to BB for him? I'll be in PDX this weekend..

Edited by geordie

Beer is quite perishable. I like mine fresh.

Micheal, I think it is acceptable to chastise a dumb question, as long as you tell the person all the reasons why you think it is a dumb question. The problem is, the knuckleheads who troll with fake dumb questions. They are the ones who influence people to respond with cynical answers.

I'd like to know what was "dumb" about the question in the first place. Yes, conditions change daily up there -- and especially at this time of year -- but had somebody been there in the past two weeks the guy would still be interested to hear what they had to say if he is wondering about "conditions" up there and perhaps if he hasn't been in the hgh Cascades this time of year, he'll appreciate hearing somebody's general ideas on the matter based on prior years' experiences.

mattp said:

I'd like to know what was "dumb" about the question in the first place. Yes, conditions change daily up there -- and especially at this time of year -- but had somebody been there in the past two weeks the guy would still be interested to hear what they had to say if he is wondering about "conditions" up there and perhaps if he hasn't been in the hgh Cascades this time of year, he'll appreciate hearing somebody's general ideas on the matter based on prior years' experiences.

I never said it was a dumb question. Mattp, can you be more brief in your future responses? Some of us can't read that many sentances in a row without pictures.

michael_layton said:I never said it was a dumb question. Mattp, can you be more brief in your future responses? Some of us can't read that many sentances in a row without pictures.

Sentences? Presumably you would have sufficient time to read all the sentences ever posted on this board while you are so cold and lonely in PDX. Speaking of which, you wanna go rock out in Portland on the 29th? Dead Moon is playing, and should you doubt my recommendation, go consult RBWBunchanumbers, he'll concur on the overarching rockingness of the band.

mattp said:

The weather has been rotten for weeks now. Of course no one has been up there. Conditions are bad with poor visibility and lots of unconsolidated snow and avalanche danger. The point is even if snow conditions are good, getting a weather window long enough to climb at this time of year is pretty tough, not impossible, but it's rare.

The weather has been rotten for weeks now. Of course no one has been up there. Conditions are bad with poor visibility and lots of unconsolidated snow and avalanche danger. The point is even if snow conditions are good, getting a weather window long enough to climb at this time of year is pretty tough, not impossible, but it's rare.

This is what I would have said if I was working, or answering in an "official" capacity. But I'm not. I'm just a another punter who doesn't climb as much or as hard as he wants to. Instead I was replying in the same manner we've(the CC crowd, not the NPS) always replied when someone asks about Buckner in the off season.

As for Matt's question about why this question is "dumb" (which I implied, but never claimed). Where might we have seen the NF from, the top of Forbidden? I think conditions are often different on Buckner than they appear from Forbidden and the best view is from the base of the NF, certainly there's no view from BB. And although it's sunny today in T-town, there hasn't been great viewing weather lately.

My advice, wait until after Dec 20 so you can get a FWA of the NF. It's been skied and Buckner finally got a FWA last winter, but the NF is up for grabs.

geordie said:

I was replying in the same manner we've(the CC crowd, not the NPS) always replied when someone asks about Buckner in the off season.

That's right, Geordie. We'ave always told anybody who asked about doing something we might not want to do that they are an idiot. However, some cc.com posters have in fact been up to look at north-facing slopes in the Cascade Pass area in the last three weeks, while others have driven up that road recently and can report on how far it is possible to drive. Catbird's "blanket" dismissal only states the obvious, without providing any information I couldn't gleen from sitting at my desk and thinking about it for ten seconds. It is still a good answer, though, and if you told me that over the telephone when I called the Marblemount Ranger Station I'd reply "thanks, but has anyone been up there lately despite all that? Is the original post a troll? Perhaps -- and it would be a good one because, as you correctly note, you guys are just replying the way we always have....

If I wanted to know info about a climb that is unlikely to have been climbed lately I might preface my comments with some hint that I knew what was what..Perhaps like..."Colin, Mark Twight and I are thinking about doing a trip next week. It sounds crazy, but has anyone been up the Big Beaver Trail or up the Access Creek approach this time of year? I expect it would be unpleasant, but any recent beta (unlikely) would be nice"that's my two cents..So here's a related hypothetical- If you were to climb NF Buckner in the winter how would you approach?

NF Buckner winter approachSahale/ Boston via Boston BasinSahale/ Boston via Sahale ArmSharkfin ColRide bike on 20 to Colonial Creek, Ford Thunder Creek, Thunder Creek to Thunder Basin and Boston Glacier