Funny Post from Rockclimbing.com

RuMR

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RuMR said:

.....Oh, and being able to substantially do more than your own weight is GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD....

I've told this tool before, and he should know this being an engineer. Basically pull-ups are also a function of body dimensions. Old RuMR can't avoid the fact he barley scrapes in at 5' with stubby little arms. So the amount of energy he expends for one pull-up with his hobbit arms is significantly less then I.

The equation in question would be this W=F*d

W= Work (energy)

F= Force

d= distance

First off RuMR weighs in on a good day at 120#, I 165#; he's about .73 of my weight.

His arms are about 2/3 the length of my arms.

Lets see, .73*.66=.48. So when RuMR does a pull up he exerts about half the energy as a tall skinny cuss like me. If you pale in comparison to old RuMR remember if you can only do half as many you're still the better man/woman.

mr randon, or should i say mr random fucking complainer- do you need a tissue? or the other question is what is your point?

being an educated man you forget about something. while you stand on comfy footholds reaching for the next hold we short people have to lock it off at the waist. and keeping your weight down is just a matter of self discipline, diet and A LOT OF TRAINING. so suck it up you puff

glassgowkiss said:

mr randon, or should i say mr random fucking complainer- do you need a tissue? or the other question is what is your point?

being an educated man you forget about something. while you stand on comfy footholds reaching for the next hold we short people have to lock it off at the waist. and keeping your weight down is just a matter of self discipline, diet and A LOT OF TRAINING. so suck it up you puff

Mr. Radon's a punter!!!! AHUHAHAHAHUHHH PUNTER!!! boxing_smiley.gif

glassgowkiss said:

Learn to friggin spell, Radon not randon. Then try reading for comprehension, my point was very clear. I'm not saying anything derogatory about RuMR, he’s a top notch rope gun. But, he thinks a normal, in shape climber, irregardless of body type, should be able to crank out 50-70 pull-ups. I believe certain exercises are easier for certain body types; Pull-ups are rigged in the favor of short people.

Pull-ups are rigged in the favor of short people. Sorry, I'm repeating myself for glassgowkiss’s benefit. For the same body type (height independent), short people have an easier time completing a pull-up because they expend much less energy.

Next, where in the heck did I mention anything about short people having an easier time climbing? Obviously, you’ve got major issues here. Are you short? Take an example from RuMR, suck it up and just crank out those 5.13’s.

RuMR, pull out a mirror if you want to see a real PUNTER wave.gif

mr.radon said:

I've told this tool before, and he should know this being an engineer. Basically pull-ups are also a function of body dimensions. ...

W= Work (energy)

F= Force

d= distance

First off RuMR weighs in on a good day at 120#, I 165#; he's about .73 of my weight.

Lets see, .73*.66=.48. So when RuMR does a pull up he exerts about half the energy as a tall skinny cuss like me.

I'm an engineer, what's your point? You wanna drop some science n shit...here ya go:

Holding basic body conditions (body fat %, etc) constant: Since you weigh more, you should also have more muscle mass, thereby storing more glycogen and having more ATP at any one time. You'll also be storing more fat. So you may have to do more work, but as a percent of your energy stores, it's probably no different.

You're looking at half the issue...it's like saying POWER=Work/Time, since your tall and have to do more work, just do it slower and it requires no more power. Well, if you need to generate enough momentum to stick a dyno, the "spread the work over more time" approach aint gonna cut it.

Mr. Radon rules!

Rumr you’re a freaking poser! Do three, four, five one arms and you still aren’t as strong as my failure! shocked.gif

Operation One Arm is scheduled to end on 1/1/04! Got a bit behind schedule but hope springs eternal. Biggest problem: excess weight!

I am thinking of buying a family membership the the VC. Not sure if it wil work out or not.

I love discussions of peripheral aracana that have very little to do with climbing. Let's combine this with the "Dynamic vs Non-Dynamic Belay" thread for an all-time classic.

If you keep both the height-to-weight ratio and the body fat percentage between a large climber and a small climber then the glycogen reserves per Kg should be approximately equal between the two, while the actual amount of work per-Kg done by the taller climber to do a single pull-up should always be greater by the difference in the distance-pulled-up-per Kg. Moreover, a given climber will have quite a bit more in the way of glycogen reserves a few hours after scarfing down a heaping pot of pasta, but that of course will not diminish the force necessary to do, or the work involved in doing a pull-up.

I am not sure that one can really keep things constant in such a fashion as for tall people their surface to volume ratio is greater, and I imagine this has implications for skeletal-mass as a percentage of BMI, etc, etc, etc.

In any event, all things being equal if I were choosing an optimal build for all types of climbing (including alpine slogs, etc) it'd be tall and thin with a positive ape-index. Carrying all of the gear necessary for alpine slogging has got to suck that much more when you are tiny. The only time when I think short people have a clear advantage is in moves that involved being scrunched up, as their compact physique seems to enable them to keep their center of gravity closer to the rock and helps keep them from levering off.

mr.radon said:

RuMR said:

.....Oh, and being able to substantially do more than your own weight is GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD....

I've told this tool before, and he should know this being an engineer. Basically pull-ups are also a function of body dimensions. Old RuMR can't avoid the fact he barley scrapes in at 5' with stubby little arms. So the amount of energy he expends for one pull-up with his hobbit arms is significantly less then I.

W= Work (energy)

F= Force

d= distance

Lets see, .73*.66=.48. So when RuMR does a pull up he exerts about half the energy as a tall skinny cuss like me. If you pale in comparison to old RuMR remember if you can only do half as many you're still the better man/woman.

werd. i have a 6'9 inch wingspan, but i am still in a comp with my hommies for the lock-off. case a beer is the prize. bigdrink.gif with motivation like that, they dont stand a chance. evils3d.gifyellaf.gif

willstrickland said:

mr.radon said:

I've told this tool before, and he should know this being an engineer. Basically pull-ups are also a function of body dimensions. ...

W= Work (energy)

F= Force

d= distance

Lets see, .73*.66=.48. So when RuMR does a pull up he exerts about half the energy as a tall skinny cuss like me.

I'm an engineer, what's your point? You wanna drop some science n shit...here ya go:

Holding basic body conditions (body fat %, etc) constant: Since you weigh more, you should also have more muscle mass, thereby storing more glycogen and having more ATP at any one time. You'll also be storing more fat. So you may have to do more work, but as a percent of your energy stores, it's probably no different.

You're looking at half the issue...it's like saying POWER=Work/Time, since your tall and have to do more work, just do it slower and it requires no more power. Well, if you need to generate enough momentum to stick a dyno, the "spread the work over more time" approach aint gonna cut it.

and you are looking at the other half. sure will this would be correct if the proportions were the same. say an arm was 2 feet long and was 12 inches around... if the arm was 3 feet it would have to be 18 inches around. but if i were to have the same proportions as say rudy, i would have arms that are bigger around than th thighs of a NFL lineman. rolleyes.gif

Nah dude...i'm scrawny!! But not as scrawny as Jdog...he's 6'-4"...we measured the circumference of our biceps, exact same...we've got the same size arms!!!! So i'll buy Radonette's argument for Jdog...but not him...he's a sally...

Now, you guys oughta take a gander at SexyChoco!! That dude's BIG and can bust out onearms...There goes Radon's little proof...all he mathematically proved was what a wuss he is!!!! wazzup.gif

RuMR said:

Nah dude...i'm scrawny!! But not as scrawny as Jdog...he's 6'-4"...we measured the circumference of our biceps, exact same...we've got the same size arms!!!! So i'll buy Radonette's argument for Jdog...but not him...he's a sally...

Now, you guys oughta take a gander at SexyChoco!! That dude's BIG and can bust out onearms...There goes Radon's little proof...all he mathematically proved was what a wuss he is!!!! wazzup.gif

no doubt. i may be at a disadvantage, but that just makes it more fun to kick your ass! wink.gif

RuMR said:

anytime punk! anytime...do we want max #, or max add. weight or # of one-arms????? or how 'bout the fewest fingers/shittiest hold???

I'll wager a case of your pissbeer for a case of kemper rootbeer!!!! BEYOTCH!!!! evils3d.gif

how about pullups with the other person hanging by the other's feet! yellaf.gif hey man i am done on the 10th and am free till the second week in jan. lets hit it up with some sporto crankin. thumbs_up.gif