conditions for mt hood?

layton

I haven't slogged around hood and failed on it yet, so I don't know what type of conditions one needs for routes like Yoccum, Illumination Rock, TNF, and the Black Spider.

Do they need quite a bit of snow already (is now too early-besides TNF...duh)?

I just haven't had the chance to do the dirty work yet.

Anyone planning on doing one of these routes this weekend?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Funguy and I were up on the south side this Saturday during the first wave of this storm system. By the time we reached Silcox (7:30-ish) a light breeze was blowing and it was starting to snow. Most of the rock we encountered below Palmer was fairly clean, but as soon as we were above the lifts everything was covered with a fairly thin coating of rime. Anyway, by the time we reached 9,8k the wind was howling and it was snowing hard. Some of the drifts we encountered were knee deep, so we decided to turn around and navigate back to the top of Palmer. We couldn't see much more than 20 feet or so ahead of us until we got back to the top of Palmer and the clouds broke to reveal some pretty strong winds on the summit. It looked to us like most of the snow that had fallen on the summit and west side was being blown to Idaho. The Pearly Gates also looked like they had 50 to 100 feet of vertical blue ice right in the middle. Then the clouds came back and we called it a day.

michael_layton said:

Do they need quite a bit of snow already (is now too early-besides TNF...duh)?

I just haven't had the chance to do the dirty work yet.

Anyone planning on doing one of these routes this weekend?

Sounds like it's too easy for you, but I'd suggest soloing Leutholds this weekend. Should be plenty of snow there. thumbs_up.gif It will be sheltered from the wind, so you can go for it even if it's snowing and blowing elsewhere.

I would expect a fair amount of slide/sluff activity this weekend, who knows though. All I know is those routes are more fun when the snow is consolidated and icy. trudging through freshiez - not nearly as fun and potentially boring for you hard core dudes who only want the tough stuff. rolleyes.gif