Connecting to the rock

Blake

• 3 years later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought this was something about a spiritual connection to the rock. Like Bill Murray's character in Caddyshack: "BE the sloper!"

Silence newbie!

You said you were coming to Ropeup and then what, watched football on your wide-screen?

Note to self, Builder206 says he will climb then doesn't show.

Newbies should know that climbers who don't show can ruin a day of climbing for the other climber. In the case of ropeup it may be a little gray but still, can we communicate?

I climbed with other people but did look for Builder206.

Wasted time.

Wasted energy.

If it were to happen again, would YOU plan another outing with him?

I'm typing while I am testing a new phone system so I am throwing these thoughts out there.

I do not mean to trash Builder206.

This IS the newbie forum.

BUT communicating with another climber about climbing and then not showing up is a big problem.

Climbing by yourself is way different from climbing with a partner. Should we all pack solo gear for every outing just in case our prospective partner decides not to show? Let the other guy know if you are not going to make it.

BUT communicating with another climber about climbing and then not showing up is a big problem.

Climbing by yourself is way different from climbing with a partner. Should we all pack solo gear for every outing just in case our prospective partner decides not to show? Let the other guy know if you are not going to make it.

Good points, Bug. It only took one time for someone to no-show on me before I invested in a solo set-up. No more wasted climbing opportunities if my partner flakes. :tup:

Good points, Bug. It only took one time for someone to no-show on me before I invested in a solo set-up. No more wasted climbing opportunities if my partner flakes. :tup:

I wouldn't call your partner flakey. :D

Newbies should know that climbers who don't show can ruin a day of climbing for the other climber. In the case of ropeup it may be a little gray but still, can we communicate?

I climbed with other people but did look for Builder206.

Wasted time.

Wasted energy.

If it were to happen again, would YOU plan another outing with him?

Well maybe not. It depends on if he had a good reason or not (and whether I believe him). Lots of people (me especially) have to bail once in a while on planned climbing outings. It is unfortunate, but sometimes shit happens.

I PM'ed him. In our own way, each of us has judged the other's character without ever meeting, thanks to cc.com.

First and foremost, I do not take things on this board seriously. If someone flames me, it is probably due to a tradgedy in their life. When I FLAME someone here, I do not mean it to be hurtful or scathing tho it probably comes across that way sometimes. I like open communications mode. Let it fly and screw the pc guidelines. If I hurt your feelings, I am sorry. But you are on the internet and you should try to develope a thicker skin.

I only received the first PM where you said you were coming..

I replied;"

Cool.

We can do anything you want.

The R&D route might be too easy for you.

If no one else responds, you and I can go do something else.

If someone else wants to do thr R&D, you are welcome to come along and/or we can do other things afterwards.

There are a few variations on the R&D and lots of other stuff all over the canyon.

Keep in touch.

Xxxx 425 xxx-xxxx"

They have been having problems with the PM's lately.

Go to the bottom of the page and expire your cookies. Then press F5 to refresh your cache.

I have not "Judged your character." Until now.

You responded here and that means a lot.

I did PM you my phone number but maybe you didn't get that.

My main point in this thread is not to flame you in a horribly negative way but to bring up a valid point. Roll with the punches and feel free to punch back. I don't care what you say. In fact I prefer to be flamed. It gets more interesting.

To get back to the point;

Climbing with a partner is way more practical than climbing without.

When people say they will climb, they need to either make it climbing or communicate why not. If you are not sure, you should not say you will go. Climbing with two is way more efficient than climbing with three or more. Most climbers will not look for more climbers once they have arranged to climb with one. If that one backs out at the last minute or just doesn't show up, you are left in solo mode. It can suck. Most climbers will be mad at you.

Again, point for discussion. My focus here is not to trash Builder206 tho there is at least a little reason to do so.

Cheers!

As long as we are airing our dirty laundry, I just want you ("bug") to know that those eggs you gave me Sunday morning gave me the red-ass somethin fierce.

Thanks for nothin

You're welcome.

I liked them too.

I wonder if MattP or Dragon1 felt any ill effects.

hell, i had that very issue w/ a pretty big-name climber on this board, after driving 3 hours north too - w/o a damn word either - luckily i had brought stuff for a solo outing. you only get to do that kinda shit once.

i had that very issue w/ a pretty big-name climber on this board,

I didn't think any big name climbers post here? Maybe it's Steve House? He posts here? Croft?

Hmmm, probably Croft he's Canadian, thats about a 3 hour drive.

That bastard!

Maybe he meant big-ASS climbers.

There are a lot of those.

hell, i had that very issue w/ a pretty big-name climber on this board, after driving 3 hours north too - w/o a damn word either - luckily i had brought stuff for a solo outing. you only get to do that kinda shit once.

I can top that. I got stood up by someone on this board after travelling all the way to Joshua Tree. Fortunately for me, I had other friends from this board with whom to climb.

Best advice I can offer is not to rely solely on PM's as the day of the climb approaches. Make sure you give each other a phone number in case you have to cancel.

Lastly, if you do have to cancel, if you can find someone who can go in your stead, it could make a huge difference. I've done this before.

Edited by catbirdseat

Being a big name climber myself, I make it a point not to climb with the commoners.

That said, once a year I draw a name out of my solid gold chamberpot and call the lucky soul and he/she is swears an oath and signs a contract to never reveal the sacred location of my mountain lair.

Upon meeting I fingerprint and run a quick credit/background check and we are off!

Their magic day is spent belaying me while I scrub moss and trundle rocks all around them with nary a word, as is clearly stated in my preclimb contract. Finally, I send them up one of the classics and shout important beta at the top of my lungs until they fall or quit.

Hiking out, I like to stay several steps ahead of them, in case a random hiker stumbles upon us as I don't want to be seen carrying ropes, gear, shovels, rakes and implements of destruction.

At he car, I rave about the great time we had climbing and promise to call, after they leave I delete their phone number, safe for another year.