Washington ski mountaineering history

Lowell_Skoog

The Alpenglow Ski Mountaineering History Project is the first comprehensive effort to document the story of ski mountaineering in Washington. The project is at an early stage. So far I've reviewed the following references, plus my personal notes:

The Mountaineer Annual (1907 to the present)

Cascade Alpine Guide (volumes 1-3), by Fred Beckey

Challenge of the North Cascades, by Fred Beckey

The Challenge of Rainier, by Dee Molenaar

The History of Skiing in Mt Rainier National Park, by Linda Helleson

I've created a web site with my findings:

http://www.alpenglow.org/ski-history

This is a long-term project. The web site describes the project philosophy and plans for future work. If you'd like to offer suggestions, corrections or tips, please let me know.

Lowell Skoog, Seattle

lowell.skoog@alpenglow.org

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The sight looks like it has a lot of potential. Right now it looks like more of a record than a resource though. I'd like to see some articles eventually.

I just finished a ski website of my own. The address is

http://students.washington.edu/benman

I'd be willing to lay claim to the Northeast Face of Mount Gilbert (Goat Rocks). I'd also be interested to know if the NFNWR on Adams was skied in 1995 as you suggested. I skied it in 1999 and 2000.

Anyway, check out my website. I think you might find some interesting stuff there. It started out as a project for an environmental class that I'm taking so pardon the simplicity.

Check back soon because things are going down as we speak.

benman,

I looked at your web site. Great photos.

Would you be willing to send me a write-up on each of the descents that you think might have been a first? Include dates, names, and any details you think are appropriate. My information about the N face of the NW ridge of Adams came from a friend who saw ski tracks on it a few years ago (I guessed at 1995). He did not see the skier or skiers and I'm not sure of the year. If you could send me information on your descents, I will review them with any other information that I gather. I may post them on my website as a "strawman" to seek reports of earlier descents. Off hand, the descents on the N side of Adams and the Gilbert descent look interesting. But send me whatever you want.

You are correct that the project website is primarily a record at this point. I don't currently have any plans to use it for route beta or trip reports. That may change in the future, but it's not in my current plans. The main purpose of the website is to support my research, which I hope will eventually lead to publishing a book on the subject.

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Lowell Skoog

lowell.skoog@alpenglow.org