Skin question

Scott_J

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Return those POS skins to the shop and ask for a warranty on some new ones. G3 has had NOTORIOUS glue problems for years. It pulls off from one side to another in big patches, this should NEVER happen with a good glue formulation. G3 now adamantly claims to have fixed the problem, go to the shop and adamantly demand a replacement.

When you return your G3 skins, get some Ascensions instead. I've had mine for 5 years with no problems. I reglued them for the first time last year (accumulated too much dirt and pine needles on the surface). Used the brown paper bag method described to remove the dirty glue. The new glue I added seems to come off a little near the front of the ski. That didn't happen before I reglued. Not a huge problem, but maybe I shouldn't have reglued....

Sisu, let me reiterate, do not listen to this nonsense about reglueing your G3 Skins, or spreading the glue around, they will just peel again. G3 should be held fully accountable for the lousy quality of merchandise they have put on the market the last few years.

Reglueing Ascension skins with Ascension glue is a time-honored tradition performed after many years of wear and tear. With care the reapplication can be nearly as affective as the original factory glue application. But the problem with the G3's is not just the glue, it's the material that the glue is meant to adhere to.

Return them and get Ascensions. If that doesn't work, return them and get this year's grey G3 skins.

I think Ascensions still sells a re-gluing kit which is basically just pre-glued backing paper that you apply to the clean skin, and then iron. This mimics the way the glue is applied at the factory, and helps it bond to the fabric, and you don't end up with glue all over the iron. Alternatively, when you buy new Ascensions skins, keep the backing paper instead of throwing it out. Then, when you need to re-glue, use the brown paper procedure to remove the old wax, repeating as often as necessary to get right down to clean base fabric. After you apply the new glue, lay the old backing paper on the skin ("teflon" side down) and run over it with a hot iron.

E-rock's down on it: while G3 has had their problems with skins, I hear they have good customer service re. any returns, and they've fixed the problem for the current season. Regardless, Ascension I think is best, but they in past had some glue problems too, also dealt with by good CS through BD, and fixed with the new skins available this season.

If you have to re-glue, the brown paper method is cheap, but takes a couple *hours* and many grocery sacks to completely remove glue. Instead use a hot blade which can safely remove the glue within a couple *minutes*.

E-rock said:

Sisu, let me reiterate, do not listen to this nonsense about reglueing your G3 Skins, or spreading the glue around, they will just peel again. G3 should be held fully accountable for the lousy quality of merchandise they have put on the market the last few years.

Reglueing Ascension skins with Ascension glue is a time-honored tradition performed after many years of wear and tear. With care the reapplication can be nearly as affective as the original factory glue application. But the problem with the G3's is not just the glue, it's the material that the glue is meant to adhere to.

Return them and get Ascensions. If that doesn't work, return them and get this year's grey G3 skins.

E-rock your solution sounds the best. I have some old school skis that I put the Ascension glue on after I removed the hardward that skins used to sue to keep them on. they work like a charm. The G3s suck. I'll package them up and send them into the company and ask for the replacement gray ones. thanks sisu

E-rock said:

This is the best advice here. thumbs_up.gif

sisu_suomi said:

E-rock said:

E-rock your solution sounds the best. I have some old school skis that I put the Ascension glue on after I removed the hardward that skins used to sue to keep them on. they work like a charm. The G3s suck. I'll package them up and send them into the company and ask for the replacement gray ones. thanks sisu

I sent this company an email requesting help or authorization to send the skins to them. So far NO ANSWER!!!! Are they really a good company that cares about their customer???

Sisu

Sisu,

Two years ago one of my G3 Targa heel-riser plates cracked. I called them on the phone, talked for 2 mimutes, and 3 days later had a brand new pair of heel plates in my mailbox, no cost to me. If you can get through on the phone maybe that would work--right now is their busiest time of the year with getting product in the stores prior to Christmas, and everybody prepping to get up in the hills at beginning of season. I know you're wanting to get out: I'm just heading out for the afternoon, for the first time this season, once my ski partner shows up...

If you can't get quick satisfaction from G3, there's a couple other "tactful" smirk.gif options we can think of--let us know what happens at the beginning of the work week.

OK, everyone I'll be nice and call and not be an ass hole. Man I have to work on that. Ass hole is my middle name. I was a principal in a film clip a few weeks ago and I got to play the ass hole. It was so natural that I scared the female principal featured with me. hahaha The director liked it.