fritschi freerides

thelawgoddess

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the only thing an alpine did for me was give me more power to push the skis.( i am sure this is incorrect terminology, but who gives a fuck!)

the binding and the ski still react the same. i dont think the increase boot performance is going to make skiing much easier.

marylou said:

I too am curious as to how the Freeride performs with an alpine boot.

i've talked to quite a few people here who ski the freeride with an alpine/downhill boot - both inbounds and for backcountry touring. they like the control better going down the hill and say it's not too much of a "pain" for touring unless there's a lot of flat traversing.

thelawgoddess said:

i've talked to quite a few people here who ski the freeride with an alpine/downhill boot - both inbounds and for backcountry touring. they like the control better going down the hill and say it's not too much of a "pain" for touring unless there's a lot of flat traversing.

soooo....

you have not experienced it yourself? typical! hahaha.gif

thelawgoddess said:

My friend uses a similar setup.

She got a kid's race boot because she has small feet and she had a cobbler grind the bottom down and put a thin Vibram sole on it. She uses this for bc, and inbounds. The only caveat is that it would not be all that good in an alpine binding, as the Vibram may interfere with proper release.

Here are my two problems with using fritschi freerides for on-piste:

1. They are not very torsionally stiff. If you look at how the bar beneath the heel piece is fixed to the ski you will see what I mean. As your boot levers the ski over when edging there is not much restraining the bar from rotating in the heel lock down piece. This is especially noticeable when you are skiing fat skis where there is more leverage on the edge while skiing hardpack.

2. There is no forward lean built into the bindings. If you look at most downhill bindings the elevation of the heel piece is probably about 5-10mm higher than the elevation of the toe piece, which tilts your boot forward slighlty on the ski. The diamirs do not have this and leave your boot sitting almost flat (maybe even tilted very slightly backwards). I found that this gives the feel of "riding in the back seat" all the time.

Lastly, I'm all for touring in downhill boots, provided they fit well and your priority is skiing. The only thing is that they do suck on flats, and they suck to put on in the morning. I've done tonnes of touring with a diamir/downhill boot setup including a 2 week traverse, and this system works for me.

jibbing is doing tricks and jumping and shit like that, going big, fast and looking good doing it, you could really have a whole thread on jibbing, but this is not the forum for it, if you want to see the frontline jibbers go to www.freezeonline.com and see some of the best new school skiers out there and model your skiing after the big mountain likes of seth morrison, and hugo harrison, they are SICK

• 3 weeks later...

one other reason to ride appropiate equipment, aside from fritchis' flex at the heel and are not nearly as rigid laterally than a silvretta or a proper downhill binding, but more importantly,

AT bindings don't release in as many directions! no up release from the toe, no twisting release from the heel! Skiing on AT gear at the lifts, besides being a terribly posey thing to do, is not as safe as downhill equipment... i get a chuckle whenever i see lifties with AT gear and no safety equipment, or even skins! HAHAHAHA I hope you don't go that route, TLG, but hey, you're so pretty it doesn't matter what you do!

have a nice winter, TLG!

Woo!

Freeride, take it easy

Freeride, take it easy

Freeride, take it easy

I'm in the mood

The rhythm is right

Move to the music

We can roll all night

Oooh Freeride

Oooh

Freeride, take it easy