women rock- men feel free to post

minx

i didn't want to post this under the women's thread posted by junebug b/c i don't want to encourage spray on it.

personally i don't understand a women's only group.

they have a well put together site but i haven't found any info there that i haven't seen on other sites.

before i started posting on cc.com i had a few female partners to climb with. now i've been lucky enough to find a couple more whose company i enjoy when climbing. i have also met a a couple of male climbing partners who are high on my list of favorites partners.

it's not about the gender it's about the person. there's plenty of women that i wouldn't want at the other end of my rope for any reason, and plenty of men too!

and honestly, a room full of women so often turns into some awful hen session rolleyes.gif that i have a hard time seeing that a group of women climbers would be any different.

agal made a nice point on the other thread but just not one that i relate too.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

minx said:

it's not about the gender it's about the person. there's plenty of women that i wouldn't want at the other end of my rope for any reason, and plenty of men too!

and honestly, a room full of women so often turns into some awful hen session rolleyes.gif that i have a hard time seeing that a group of women climbers would be any different.

I agree Minx... Some women need the 'women only' deal, some are better off without it... If I'm with certain groups of women for a length of time, I find myself getting annoyed pretty quickly (even tho I teach women's clinics... what a hypocrite, huh?)... Actually in general I think I get along with males much better becaus they're so easy going. I also think that I tend to climb (or do any activity) better because I try to keep up with them... But either way, you're right on when you say its not the gender but the person. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifwave.gif

I like to climb with PEOPLE I like. I have never, and hope I never have to pick a climbing parnter based on gender. The majority of my closest friends are indeed woman, and I primarily get along with women the best. But that is not a sisterhood that a share with women at large. I agree that most groups of women espcialy ones that have not been self selected, tend to end up with personality issues to the point that I stop having fun.

A friend is involved with chicksrock- she sees it as an opportunity for women to lead in the backcountry. I see what she means - I've been out climbing with guys, and usually they are faster than me - this means that sometimes the routefinding is done by them, and I don't learn as much as I could by making my own decisions. Maybe that is my fault though. When it comes to rock climbing, I've only been encouraged to lead by guys, and if they take over, it is only because they are more experienced and able than me on a particular route, not because they are a 'guy' and I'm a 'girl'.

I do think it's inspiring to see women out climbing with women - you don't see that that much. For me, I mainly want to meet other climbers and get experience leading. Who cares if they're all women! I know more guy climbers than women climbers, so I'll definitely get a chance to climb with guys too, or whoever else I get along with and who knows what they are doing is safe etc. regardless of gender.

On a different, but similar, is that I've noticed that playing some sports with all women can be really fun in a different way - like ultimate frisbee. I'm going to do chickflick too, an all women's tournament, (go ahead and spray about how I'm doing that too), just because it'll be fun to play with all women and get a chance to touch the disc more than I probably normally would!

Junebug said:

A friend is involved with chicksrock- she sees it as an opportunity for women to lead in the backcountry. I see what she means - I've been out climbing with guys, and usually they are faster than me - this means that sometimes the routefinding is done by them, and I don't learn as much as I could by making my own decisions. Maybe that is my fault though. When it comes to rock climbing, I've only been encouraged to lead by guys, and if they take over, it is only because they are more experienced and able than me on a particular route, not because they are a 'guy' and I'm a 'girl'.

I do think it's inspiring to see women out climbing with women - you don't see that that much. For me, I mainly want to meet other climbers and get experience leading. Who cares if they're all women! I know more guy climbers than women climbers, so I'll definitely get a chance to climb with guys too, or whoever else I get along with and who knows what they are doing is safe etc. regardless of gender.

On a different, but similar, is that I've noticed that playing some sports with all women can be really fun in a different way - like ultimate frisbee. I'm going to do chickflick too, an all women's tournament, (go ahead and spray about how I'm doing that too), just because it'll be fun to play with all women and get a chance to touch the disc more than I probably normally would!

junebug, i want to make it clear that i'm not bashing you or anyone who participates in the group. i'm just saying i don't get it.

from your post, i can see some advantages for you. if it works for you then it's a good thing. women definitely interact differently in a group of all women than they do in the presence of men. i guess if a person gains from this then it's an appropriate setting for them.

have fun w/the ultimate frisbee tournament! wave.gif

I was climbing out at Smith one time, and I was up at the anchors on some climb on Morning Glory (Light on the path?) just chillin, there were people at basically at all the first stations. I'm soaking up the rays lookin' around Smith, listening to the donkey, when this climber catches my eye. They're on what to me looks like a blank wall. As I was watching this person climb, I became very impressed by their fluidity and efficiency. They didn't waste a move. It was like move, clip. Move, clip. No flailing, no rope shenanigans, nothing. Pretty soon you could hear all the seconds screaming to their partners to watch them. Everybody was watching this person climb. I spy Lynn Hill and Brooke Sandahl later in the parking lot. It looked like she was on To Bolt or Not to Be, and it was an amazing thing to witness. I've never seen anybody climb like that before. I walked by her (later) drinking (my Sheaf Stout), and I said "that was awesome, that was really fucking cool to watch" and she said "Thanks." Brooke just kind of stared at me. When I was leaving a bit later, she was talking to 5 or 6 people and she had this huge smile on her face, and she was telling some story, and waving her arms around. It was really cool.

Junebug said:

like ultimate frisbee. I'm going to do chickflick too, an all women's tournament, (go ahead and spray about how I'm doing that too), just because it'll be fun to play with all women and get a chance to touch the disc more than I probably normally would!

This event could be enhanced with male cheerleaders on the sideline. Who's in?

minx said:

i didn't want to post this under the women's thread posted by junebug b/c i don't want to encourage spray on it.

they have a well put together site but i haven't found any info there that i haven't seen on other sites.

before i started posting on cc.com i had a few female partners to climb with. now i've been lucky enough to find a couple more whose company i enjoy when climbing. i have also met a a couple of male climbing partners who are high on my list of favorites partners.

I've been on a couple trips where I was the only guy. Mountaineers snow camping trip: myself and three women in a snowcave, paired up with four women in an adjacent snowcave. Prusik W Ridge with two women. Etc.

As the only guy, I can feel weird/left-out at times when the rest of them are talking about girly stuff. I think it's far more common for a woman to be alone on a climb with guys, and of course guys talk about guys stuff. For this social reason, I can understand why women like to go climbing with each other.... maybe not strictly an all women's trip, but definitely have a few along.

One of my partners lamented to me once while we were sport climbing, something to the effect of, "This is the reason why I like to climb with other women: That guy on that route over there has a really hot ass. I can tell it to you, but you won't appreciate it. With other women around, we can all relish it."

bunglehead said:

I was climbing out at Smith one time, and I was up at the anchors on some climb on Morning Glory (Light on the path?) just chillin, there were people at basically at all the first stations. I'm soaking up the rays lookin' around Smith, listening to the donkey, when this climber catches my eye. They're on what to me looks like a blank wall. As I was watching this person climb, I became very impressed by their fluidity and efficiency. They didn't waste a move. It was like move, clip. Move, clip. No flailing, no rope shenanigans, nothing. Pretty soon you could hear all the seconds screaming to their partners to watch them. Everybody was watching this person climb. I spy Lynn Hill and Brooke Sandahl later in the parking lot. It looked like she was on To Bolt or Not to Be, and it was an amazing thing to witness. I've never seen anybody climb like that before. I walked by her (later) drinking (my Sheaf Stout), and I said "that was awesome, that was really fucking cool to watch" and she said "Thanks." Brooke just kind of stared at me. When I was leaving a bit later, she was talking to 5 or 6 people and she had this huge smile on her face, and she was telling some story, and waving her arms around. It was really cool.

She's a true professional...amazing to watch how she can "ratchet" a hold lower and lower to make a huge reach... thumbs_up.gif

Gary_Yngve said:

minx said:

One of my partners lamented to me once while we were sport climbing, something to the effect of, "This is the reason why I like to climb with other women: That guy on that route over there has a really hot ass. I can tell it to you, but you won't appreciate it. With other women around, we can all relish it."

yellaf.gifyellaf.gif this is a great point!

but this doesn't require a women's climbing group just a female climbing partner. i have admired several asses climbing and shared the view with my women partners. one of the nice things about climbing is scenery evils3d.gif

i like to climb with some of my female friends, i enjoy mixed company on trips. on occasion, i enjoy all girl trips with my friends. i've never needed a women's group to make these things happen. it's interesting to read some other perspectives.

Gary_Yngve said:

minx said:

I've been on a couple trips where I was the only guy. Mountaineers snow camping trip: myself and three women in a snowcave, paired up with four women in an adjacent snowcave. Prusik W Ridge with two women. Etc.

As the only guy, I can feel weird/left-out at times when the rest of them are talking about girly stuff. I think it's far more common for a woman to be alone on a climb with guys, and of course guys talk about guys stuff. For this social reason, I can understand why women like to go climbing with each other.... maybe not strictly an all women's trip, but definitely have a few along.

I never hesitate to share grin.gif