Gear Stolen at Smith Rock

rockrat16

Late Friday night or early Saturday morning, my boyfriend and I had ALL our gear stolen out of my 1998 Silver Subaru Wagon in the Bivouac parking lot at Smith Rock State Park. They took a TNF Gompa pack and a TNF Prophet pack full of climbing pro (nuts, hexes, tricams, cams biners, quickdraws, slings), including harnesses, helmets, etc. Also, stolen was a large TNF basecamp duffel full of gear and tech clothing. Plus a brand new tripod. They most likely slim-jimmed the door to get in as there was no damage to the vehicle. The rough estimate as to the value of all our gear is around $5,000.

All our gear was marked with either red and yellow tape, or white/blue/green tape. So, if you are going climbing there and someone tries to sell used gear to you, please, don't buy it and notify the sherrif or the ranger immediately.

If you have any information or think you may have seen something, please contact me immediately: rockrat16@hotmail.com

If you are going to be climbing there anytime soon, don't leave anything valueable in your car, take it with you to your tent if you are staying overnight. If we can all do our part not to give them anything to steal, maybe they will stop stealing (this happened last year to many Subarus - they stole around $14,000 worth of gear total). This theft has really hurt us. This is many years worth of gear that we worked very hard to buy. I don't want it to happen to anyone else. Real climbers wouldn't steal from each other. LET'S STOP THESE A**HOLES!!!! mad.gif" border="0mad.gif" border="0mad.gif" border="0mad.gif" border="0

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had lots of crap stolen at index too. Man it sucks. It's not like most climbers have cash to spare. These guys are definately not robin hood types. The fact that those bags of yours are so blatently labeled it the "north face" logo didn't help much. Most gangsta punks types know about TNF. I advice that the replacement bags be something else cheap and unknown.

I'm sure there have been plenty of thefts over the years, but it seems like the number of thefts has increased remarkably. I would hope that the locals as well as the State Parks office would like to see these crimes end. So what can we do? How about writing to the Oregon Director of State Parks encouraging the agency to provide a safer and more secure place to recreate? It's not like the bivy area is some remote backwoods trailhead with no inhabitants close by. With theft becoming such a problem, it seems the State as well as the County could put a little bit more effort into ensuring the security of those using the park.

So here's what you can do. Contact the State Park Director's Office, the Deschutes County Sherriff, as well as the Deschutes County Board of Commissioners and encourage them to allocate more resources to curb theft and other crime at Smith Rock.

Oregon State Parks Director's Office: angie.steppe@state.or.usVoice: 503-378-6305

Deschutes County Sherriffs office:Terrebonne Station: 541-548-2022Redmond Station: 541-923-8270

Deschutes County Commissioners:board@co.deschutes.or.us

In Alaska a few years back, we caught a guy picking our crab pots. Guns were drawn. No shots fired. When he returned to Homer about a month later, a crowd gathered. The crowd wandered to the end of a cannery unloading pier. Apparently, the pot picker was unable to get through the crowd because he ended up in the cccold water 15 feet below. He was also discouraged from removing himself from the ccccold water until he had swam across the marina in his clothes. A great deal of money changed hands when he actually survived. Last I heard, he had not been back to Homer since.

In saudi Arabia, they publicly chop off a hand if you are caught stealing. The crime rate is almost not measurable. I could continue with many examples of what works and what doesn't. Suffice it to say, "No mercy is the best detterrent". The legal system favors the criminal in thefts from automobiles. They keep all profits and rarely spend more than a weekend in jail. At Index, Smith Rock, etc., if you can act anonimously, be harsh. Inflict lasting pain. Leave visible scars. Don't hesitate. Don't feel guilty.

First off, let me say I am sorry for your loss. It totally sucks to get your gear stolen like that.

I--and my friends--have been climbing at Smith for years with no thefts recorded. But I almost never leave my gear unattended--in my car or otherwise. Usually there are one or two dogs there with it. One guy I know has set up a tent in the grasslands before for over a month with stuff inside of it. Not a thing stolen. It helps when your gear looks like shit I suppose.

I'll be at Smith this weekend. I'll let you know if I find anything.

Sorry about the loss. The theft problem at Smith concerning Subaru wagons has been going on now for two years. The park rangers and locals are always on the look out for these people. It doesn't matter if the wagon has an alarm on it either, somehow the perpetraitor(s) have found a way (master key of sometype) to bypass any vehicle protection on the Subaru's. Most of the thefts now occur at night in that bivy area, where they used to happen in the parking lot mid week when there wasn't much traffic. So they think it's Terrebone/Redmond/Bend/Madras local behind it.

Thanks for the post rat, reminds me to scowl at anyone looking through windows.

[ 03-27-2002: Message edited by: Ropegun2002 ]

All apalogys from here in eugene... I'm going climbing at Smith this weekend and I'll keep my eyes open for anyone with a shady disposition, trying to sell gear to people... I get pretty irate with assholes like these, people and I carry a 44 mag... we'll find your gear some how... Sorry frown.gif" border="0

Sorry to hear about your loss. My car was recently broken in to as well...and they took a stereo item that won't be usable outside of my car. A grab and dash all for nothing.

Knowing that tape can be removed from climbing gear, etc., I use an engraver to make a specific mark on non-load bearing surfaces of my gear. Then, if I lose the gear or someone else might possibly have it, I can always check for the mark. You can buy an engraver for <$10.

On gear like sleeping bags I don't have a comparable system but could come up with something there too.

For a loss >$5,000, this is more than a simple theft and should be handled as such by the authorities. Else, stealing from a Brinx truck would be no big deal.

Ditto on the renters insurance tip. I pay about $10 a month and it covers vehicle break ins. I had about $3000 worth of equipment emptied out of my van in Anchorage a number of years ago, and I got most of that cash back from the insurance co. The only time insurance ever worked out in my favor.

We could go down to Smith Rocks and leave a Subaru unlocked with an intentionally sabotaged climbing rope in the front seat. Then sit back and watch the news. The next climber to take a fall in that area will be your thief! [hell no]

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for all the sympathy. I go climbing at Smith a lot and have never had a problem. For the record, our gear was covered, so no one could see that the packs were TNF packs, or even if there was any gear in there period. They took a chance breaking in and made out like bandits. I have renter's insurance, so we are covered. BUT IT STILL SUCKS THAT THERE ARE ASSHOLES OUT THERE.

I know, I know. . .tough lesson learned.

quote:

Originally posted by payaso:
We could go down to Smith Rocks and leave a Subaru unlocked with an intentionally sabotaged climbing rope in the front seat. Then sit back and watch the news. The next climber to take a fall in that area will be your thief!
[hell no]

Actually, I was thinking a sting operation wouldn't be all that bad of an idea. You already know that they target Subaru's. However, I would recommend LOCKING the vehicle so you can see what method they use to break in, and can then give that valuable info to authorities to prevent future break-ins. And if they prefer to strike at night... well, hey! there won't be anyone around to see to execute justice, will there?

Glad to hear you had insurance to cover at least the financial loss.

quote:

Originally posted by payaso:
We could go down to Smith Rocks and leave a Subaru unlocked with an intentionally sabotaged climbing rope in the front seat. Then sit back and watch the news. The next climber to take a fall in that area will be your thief!

You're more likely to get the poor college kid who just bought the rope from the thief that way. I would think that if it's a two-year ongoing deal, the distribution/liquidation of the stolen gear is the place to focus. Getting rid of used climbing gear in volume is bound to draw some suspicion, particularly if it's in the same area (the thieves seem to be locals). A vigilante mission would be fun, but only if you knew for certain they would strike, otherwise it would be a long sleepless night. Any shops down that way that sell used equipment? Might start there.

An alternative to tape is simply to spray paint your gear with a quick, poorly done job that gets a bit of color on (paying close attention not to get any paint on the nylon slings on cams, etc...!). This is not only a pain in the a%* to remove, but it also makes your gear look like crap and thus less likely to be stolen.

If you have enough climbing partners, your tape scheme is likley to be the same with at least one of them unless you whittle the hours away putting elaborate tape patterns on. A can of spray paint is cheap, fast and won't get confused with other's gear.

This is also a good way to get yourself propelled to the highly coveted Official Dirtbag status.

i went to smith for the first time this weekend and heard about your stuff getting stolen. i had also heard about the subaru gear thief. my friend told me there was someone with a master key roaming around. we also had a subaru, and needless to say, i was worried even with the car alarm. i kept my gear with me.

that really sucks. mad.gif" border="0

on a positive note, i give smith a thumbs up. the people were friendly, the weather was great, and the spot and the rock reminded me of orpierre merged with the dolomites. i had a good laugh over the stick clips and the howling dogs. i enjoyed switching between trad and sport climbs so easily.

mtngrll and all others....

the master key for cars is not true....maybe back in the old daze....but now with all the electrnic thingy magigs and stuff....it aint true..

now they might have a radio transciever that scan and puts out frequencies that will unlock all that keyless crap people have going on with their hooptys.......

buy a chevy near theft proof.....

subarus are very easy to get into....and now more and more with all th hype with over priced gear and shit....subies make an easy highly profitable target...specailly when all your gear is in one bag...all they gotta do is grab and go....

another reason why gear stickers on your car are a bad idea......

quote:

Originally posted by erik:

another reason why gear stickers on your car are a bad idea......

That's why I shake my head when I see Mountaineers stickers on cars...to me that's like posting a sign on your car that says "I'm going to be gone all day".

My old trash veedub bug was broken into at a trailhead a few years ago...must have been kids, because there was nothing but crap in the car but they took everything - cassettes, change of clothes, ice scraper - and they couldn't figure out how to get the stereo out, so they stole the knobs and face-plate.

Gear stickers? A car at a trailhead period means you're going to be gone for awhile, it only take minutes to break into a car. I say, if it's at night, a dog is the best car alarm anyone can get. They get a good nights sleep on the front seat and if anyone is stupid enough to go in, they certainly won't get out with anything but bruises and bites.