brand name babies

adventuregal

From bbc online..

US babies get global brand names

Americans are increasingly turning to the world of popular culture to name their children, a study has found.

Children have been named after big brands as diverse as beauty company L'Oreal, car firm Chevrolet and designer clothes company Armani.

There are even two little boys, one in Michigan and one in Texas, called ESPN after the sports channel.

Psychology professor Cleveland Evans discovered the trend after surveying US social security records for 2000.

Mr Evans, a professor at Bellevue University, Nebraska, has studied baby names in the US for 25 years.

He has found that car models are a popular source of inspiration; 22 girls are registered as having the name Infiniti while 55 boys answer to Chevy and five girls to Celica.

Seven boys were found to have the name Del Monte - after the food company - and no less than 49 boys were called Canon, after the camera.

Designer firms and types of clothing were also well represented, with almost 300 girls recorded with the name Armani, six boys called Timberland and seven boys called Denim.

In some cases it seems something else was on some parents' minds - six boys were named after Courvoisier cognac.

rolleyes.gifconfused.gif

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

inspiration for baby names used to come from traditional sources such as the Bible, names like Ben, John, Ruth, etc.

wonder what this means if we derive our inspiration for naming what some parents consider their greatest gift, an inspiration derived from sources such as a mass culture of expendable goods?

Triumph of materialism over idealism? Maybe Madonna had it right, years ago. Trash the spiritual and replace it with crass materialism.

Actually, it seems to more accurately reflect a Zeitgeist of outward appearances or flash over substance or emphasis of the temporal in contrast to lasting presence.

cantfocus.gif

ScottP said:

arlen said:

bad baby names

wave.gif

Got this from your link. I think it was from a list of responses to actual posts on a BB:

"I was thinking of naming my son Toolio. Does anyone know the origin on that one?

---[Jane] DeSac

Toolio DeSac. Boy, can't think of any way that kid'll get picked on. That's one taunt-proof name there!"

yelrotflmao.gif

Dave_Schuldt said:

catbirdseat said:

Parents who name their babies after brands would be the biggest losers the world has ever known. Sounds like a hoax to me.

The parents are being paid by the companies.

I try to explain to my middle school students that the clothes many of them are wearing (insert any number of corporate clothing logos) are nothing more than advertising that they, or their parents, paid money to wear.

They just look at me like I am some kind of idiot for not wanting to wear a Gap or Old Navy label. The concept of paying to wear an advertisement just doesn't compute in their concrete operational brains.

"What should we wear then, Mr Presho?"

"Clothes without logos."

"You mean with nothing on them?"

"Yes."

"Why would we want to do that? That's boring."

The corporations have a stranglehold on our youth and we are starting to see it manifest itself in the subject of this thread as those same youth become parental age.

Creepy.

ScottP said:

I try to explain to my middle school students that the clothes many of them are wearing (insert any number of corporate clothing logos) are nothing more than advertising that they, or their parents, paid money to wear.

They just look at me like I am some kind of idiot for not wanting to wear a Gap or Old Navy label. The concept of paying to wear an advertisement just doesn't compute in their concrete operational brains.

"Clothes without logos."

"Yes."

The corporations have a stranglehold on our youth and we are starting to see it manifest itself in the subject of this thread as those same youth become parental age.

Creepy.

That IS creepy. That's like straight out of Ray Bradbury creepy.

ScottP said:

"Clothes without logos."

"Yes."

Creepy.

have em read 'no logo'.