Snowboarding Mt. St. Helens

Erwin

Hey Erwin, I have skiied it twice, and I think the conditions would not be really good this weekend. The snowpack right now is unconsolidated layer over a hard crust, and skiing last weekend was not all that enjoyable because of it. On windswept St Helens you typically get alot of ice and alot of hard windslab in March, I would wait a little until April to do it.

As to how long, it takes an average person about 4-5 hours up. Its 5000 vert. You can get some beta on approach from Jim Nelson's Selected Climbs in the Cascades Vol 1 - it describes Monitor Ridge, but I typically ski Worm Flows. There is a snowpark that is plowed, making this access year-round.

Cheers, Alex

[This message has been edited by Alex (edited 03-01-2001).]

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Check the weather.....and don't go if it is snowing or blowing. The route is fairly exposed, as far as weather goes.

Check the avalanche conditions!!!

Surf by this page for basic route beta as well as permits and fees. You will need a snowpark pass to park.

Count on 5500+ vertical gain. If you are in loose snow, this will be a BITCH, even with snowshoes. Although once above treeline the snow usually harndens up due to wind.

See Jim Nelson/Potterfield's first Selected Climbs.

Good Luck,

I've skied it three times, always in May. I's a good month, and I'm sure April would work too with a stretch of nice weather. It took me exactly three hours car-to-top last time with skis on my back. Monitor Ridge is a good ski, as is Butte Camp. Expect crowds on sunny May weekends. I don't recommend camping on the road as it's a bit of a zoo.

Have fun!

John Sharp

I'm a new to the Pacific Northwest and am thinking about climibing up Mt. St. Helens this weekend and snowboarding down. I havent looked at a book yet on this mountain, so I am looking for beta from anyone who knows much about the mountain (trails to use, how to get there, present conditions, technicalities, etc.) Or if you have any websites/books to look for in regards, that would also be appreciated.

Also, app. how long would it take to hike up for an average climber.

Anyone else interested?