Avy transeivers

burgersling

Avy snaf.gif

gslater said:

I understand, and you're right, but the signal strength readout is updated so slowly that the sweep has to be agonizingly slow to be sure you're heading in the right direction. Kind of frustrating, I'd imagine, when you're in a big hurry to find somebody. With the F1 or M2 (especially the M2 with the LCD display), the faster display update rate allows me to do the side to side sweep much faster, which is ultimately a good thing.

Yes, the initial sweep can seem slow. It takes me about 8 to 10 seconds to sweep through the 120 deg arc to locate the signal and get the initial "beep" and lock. As long as I'm moving in the right direction, I don't need to sweep anymore, just follow the flux line to the subject. If I chose the wrong direction (distance readout increases), I just turn around and it locks back on in about 3 seconds or less without having to "sweep" again. Just turn around and hold still for a couple of seconds.

I used a lot of beacons (borrowed or rented) before I demo'ed and bought the ARVA, and I never really got to use anything else long enough to really get to know it. With the ARVA being the first beacon I ever owned, I've had a lot of opportunity to practice with it. I guess that could be why I'm comfortable with it and don't find much wrong with it at all. I guess it just comes down to what you get used to using.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I spoke with Marcus Peterson at Ortovox.

Some details about those notes on telemarktips are:

The man making the recall complaints is a distributor for BCA Trackers. Sounds pretty biased to me. His site is http://www.avalanchetools.com

Apparently there have been no complaints about crashing.

This years model has a newer microprocessor.

If the beacon stalls looking for information. Keep walking so it can pick up new data. Don't stand still as there is nothing to process.

He sounded pretty firm and confident that if there was one complaint you could get a different beacon with no questions asked.

There have been over 3000 X1's sold in the last year and a half. He has only seen 3 returns.

Edited by burgersling

burgersling said:

The man making the recall complaints is a distributor for BCA Trackers. Sounds pretty biased to me. His site is http://www.avalanchetools.com

If the beacon stalls looking for information. Keep walking so it can pick up new data. Don't stand still as there is nothing to process.

He sounded pretty firm and confident that if there was one complaint you could get a different beacon with no questions asked.

There have been over 3000 X1's sold in the last year and a half. He has only seen 3 returns.

I finally got a chance to play with an X1 the other day. Seemed to work fairly well, but I was indoors where there was a lot of noise, so it wasn't a great test.

The only thing that annoyed me about the X1 is that the speaker made this little "tick" sound everytime the "distance" display updated. So if you're using the thing just by audio cues, the subtle ticking sound with each distance update kind of confused things with the real beeping signal. Not a problem once the signal gets louder, but for low volume, initial acquisition kind of stuff, it could be annoying.

OK, I am not trying to bash Ortovox here, but I am sure it is beginning to look that way, even more so by the end of this...

burgersling said:

an unbiased source for sure wink.gif

I believe he is actually a retailer, a fact that he been open about, and that he was also planning to be a seller of the X-1, until he tested it out, and found the problems he notes.

Maybe none to Marcus, but this incident I refer to was first hand from someone I trust a lot.

Because last years had no problems?

Once you have a signal there is always something to process. I find the processing lag to be a problem with all digital beacons, not just the X-1, something that needs to be gotten used to for those of us who are familiar with the analog system. Some of us are more adaptable than others, and some beacons are quicker than others.

That is good to know. thumbs_up.gif

I guess he is not counting the ones that retailers have returned then...

So, as I said, I am not trying to bash Ortovox here. I think their F1 is still a standard setting beacon, although the SOS is pretty close, and maybe better in some ways. I still have an F1 in my gear box, and I still use it.

I am, however, trying to alert people to other information out there, and let them make up their own minds. I know that from what I have read and heard, I would be hesitant to buy an X-1, and I would not neccesarily feel confident if my partner showed up with one.

I would still like to try one out myself though. Any one wanna sponsor me? hahaha.gif

Obviously he is a biased source but he is able to come clean with a name instead of some internet fabrication.

Just because he was planning to sell X1 doesnt mean there are hidden facts behind business deals gone sour either..

Because this one is faster or maybe there was a problem with last years. It's anyone's guess. I tested mine around the corner comparing it to the barryvox. I preferred the X1.

Yes there is always something to process if you move. If you stand still there is nothing new. Logic to me. I have seen the arva stall as well..

I really can't stand behind AVMAN there since he is not willing to publicly come out and verify certain facts.

I don't have to ski with you and no offense meant.

Just by recent skepticism quotes there has been a positive and pro active response I am getting phone calls and email correspondence from Europe regarding the X1.

I'm going to test my X1 out again friday or saturday again... After comparing it to the barryvox...

It sounds as if someone doesnt like this beacon for whatever reason it's not an issue to get a replacement NO QUESTIONS ASKED-m2 or whatever you want...

But the real deal is that Ortovox is still standing behind their product in Europe as well as in the US and are not bonded by boundaries.

Hola wave.gif

ncascademtns said:

All in all, if you look at the big picture of transceivers,

they're way over priced. thumbs_down.gif

You can get most any portable electronic device for under 50 buck now a days, and they do a hell of a lot more than just send out and receive a signal.

Maybe it is a liability thing.

Just my thought. rolleyes.gif

Yes, they are expensive, but I decided that my life is worth 300 bucks. Dunno about yours.

ncascademtns said:

You can get most any portable electronic device for under 50 buck now a days, and they do a hell of a lot more than just send out and receive a signal.

Or maybe your clock radio doesn't have to still reliably work after going thru a huge slide. Or function in wet and cold conditions.

Now, arc'teryx bibs, those are overpriced.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an Arva 9000 and a Tracker. I lend the Tracker to freinds who don't own a beacon so that they will find me fast (the tracker is relatively easy to use, though not foolproof). I have practiced a lot with the Arva and am very fast with it; as fast or faster than any other beacon. The key to speed with any digital beacon is to get to know it well. When you know your beacon well you can quickly get a sense of the orientation, shape, and size of the parabolic curve you are following and you will be able to RUN right down the induction line in seconds; as soon as you know which way the line is bending, and about how far you are from the burial, you will be able to anticipate where the end of the curve is and get right to it. fruit.giffruit.gif

jaee said:

ncascademtns said:

Or maybe your clock radio doesn't have to still reliably work after going thru a huge slide. Or function in wet and cold conditions.

How much did you pay for your last cellphone? It functions in all of the above. And it's alot more high tech, alot smaller, and cheaper than a beacon.

Nick said:

I have an Arva 9000 and a Tracker. I lend the Tracker to freinds who don't own a beacon so that they will find me fast (the tracker is relatively easy to use, though not foolproof). I have practiced a lot with the Arva and am very fast with it; as fast or faster than any other beacon. The key to speed with any digital beacon is to get to know it well. When you know your beacon well you can quickly get a sense of the orientation, shape, and size of the parabolic curve you are following and you will be able to RUN right down the induction line in seconds; as soon as you know which way the line is bending, and about how far you are from the burial, you will be able to anticipate where the end of the curve is and get right to it. fruit.giffruit.gif

EXACTLY! It's what I've been on about all along. I like my ARVA, and I'm fast and good with it. I have practiced with it enough to do just what Nick pointed out.

cj001f said:

jaee said:

ncascademtns said:

How much did you pay for your last cellphone? It functions in all of the above. And it's alot more high tech, alot smaller, and cheaper than a beacon.

I think most cell phone manufacturers will disagree, especially where moisture, shock, and vibration are concerned. Try this test.

Put your cell phone in a ziplock w/ a spoonful of water. Now shake it up. Put it in a warm area for a couple of hours, then into the freezer for a couple more.

Repeat w/ the tranceiver. Now turn them on. Publish the results. Also, see if your cell phone company will honor the warranty for equipment w/ moisture damage.

Also, the cost of a cell phone is buried in the service plans. Try buying a decent new cell phone without signing up for a couple year service plan and see how cheap they really are.

I'd also guess that the liability issues on safety equipment like avy beacons are a bit more complex than on a cell phone. This adds costs to the business developing the beacons.

burgersling said:

I'm going to test my X1 out again friday or saturday again... After comparing it to the barryvox...

they are both nice beacons. my coworker and i played around with both of them in a park one day, and i personally liked the barryvox better. my search times with it were faster, and i found it less confusing to search with. my coworker was less opinionated about the choice.

jaee said:I think most cell phone manufacturers will disagree, especially where moisture, shock, and vibration are concerned. Try this test.

Put your cell phone in a ziplock w/ a spoonful of water. Now shake it up. Put it in a warm area for a couple of hours, then into the freezer for a couple more.

Repeat w/ the tranceiver. Now turn them on. Publish the results. Also, see if your cell phone company will honor the warranty for equipment w/ moisture damage.

Also, the cost of a cell phone is buried in the service plans. Try buying a decent new cell phone without signing up for a couple year service plan and see how cheap they really are.

I'd also guess that the liability issues on safety equipment like avy beacons are a bit more complex than on a cell phone. This adds costs to the business developing the beacons.

Dunking your cellphone in a beer at the bar doesn't count? Mine still worked. Beacons don't have any better shockproofing - look at the Jackson Hole Accident last year.

cj001f said:

..Dunking your cellphone in a beer at the bar doesn't count? Mine still worked...

My son drooled all over my wife's cell phone. It stopped working. Well, maybe not completely. But she couldn't dial anyone with a 5, 7, 9, or * in their number. cantfocus.gifyellaf.gif

The X1 is a fine beacon. I don't have any crashing issues and the features are great.

I have not had any complaints and have done 2 search tests already.

I have not had the chance to toy with the multiple burial scenario test.

Yes the Barryvox is nice but it isnt for me.

erik said:

sobo said:

My son drooled all over my wife's cell phone. It stopped working. Well, maybe not completely. But she couldn't dial anyone with a 5, 7, 9, or * in their number. cantfocus.gifyellaf.gif

like father, like son!

hahaha.gif

Well, not exactly... I drool all over my wife. My son... he just drools. yellaf.giffruit.gifyellaf.gif

jaee said:

ncascademtns said:

I don't know about that?

I've had my clock radio for 10 years and have thrown it up against the wall many a times. It still tells time and it still goes off in the morning. Blasted Thing! hellno3d.gif

snoboy said:I am, however, trying to alert people to other information out there, and let them make up their own minds. I know that from what I have read and heard, I would be hesitant to buy an X-1, and I would not neccesarily feel confident if my partner showed up with one.

Here's an interesting counterpoint to the bitching about the X1

http://www.telemarkskier.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000380