TRs: Valuable or chestbeating fodder

chelle

Muffy_The_Wanker_Sprayer said:

for a referance to my personal writing style you can check out "cracks ,mud,and the art of climbing zen". ...I even spell checked that tongue.gif

The fifth word in your TR is misspelled. yelrotflmao.gif

I'm not flaming you, I just thought it was funny and I hope you can find the humor in this too. Anyway, it's a good TR, thanks for writing/posting it. thumbs_up.gif

Edit: Unintended chestbeating snaf.gif

Edited by Alpinfox

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alpinfox said:

Muffy_The_Wanker_Sprayer said:

for a referance to my personal writing style you can check out "cracks ,mud,and the art of climbing zen". ...I even spell checked that tongue.gif

The fifth word in your TR is misspelled. yelrotflmao.gif

I'm not flaming you, I just thought it was funny and I hope you can find the humor in this too. Anyway, it's a good TR, thanks for writing/posting it. thumbs_up.gif

yelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gif One misspelled word is a HUGE improvement from my usual wink.gif

Paintrain said:

Sorry my fault for the shitty post -waaaaay too many words for your limited attention span and no pictures.

This should be better:

You are dumb. Shut up. wave.gif

ah yes there's that embracing, supportive culture we want to see more of hahaha.gif

Everyone seems to have at least a little bit of a good point here.

Sure Dru seems to be overly negative at times. Many of his posts are known to be one or two liners that aren't worth reading. His flippant remarks may be posted as sarcasm but I am sure they are misunderstood by many and end up discouraging others from posting TR's. But you know what, who cares. He's posted some cool sh*t too and as long as you can be selective on what you read it's all fine. CC.com so far has been run as a a public board with very little policing. What policing there has been usually is to protect the board, not someones ego. Until that changes people just need to keep posting and press the down arrow if they don't like what someone says.

Regardless I don't think anyone should be hiding their tail between their legs in fear of someone flaming their TR. If you don't like what you hear, then don't respond. You probably didn't need to get flamed so by responding only adds to the negativity and discourages others to post.

When you think someone can learn something vaulable in a TR, it's worthwhile, even if it's not entertaining. For those who seem to find any reason to flame someone's TR, you change the catch phrase of the board from "the pacific northwest climbers resource" to "the pacific northwest climbers spray board". Use the spray section if you feel the need....

Personally, I enjoy reading TRs. Probably because I can't get out as much as I'd like, and it's vicarious adventure. Also, since I'm not a native of the NW, I find out about alot of cool things to add to the "to do" list.

I've written a few TRs that I posted here. Usually I just write up an account in my own climbing journal, but if something novel or unusual happened, or if I think someone might get a laugh out of my gaper antics, I might post it. I think by and large my stuff is personally deprecating rather than chest beating. I'm a hack, and I'm well aware of it.

As for the TRs themselves, I'm guilty of work that could be better. I didn't edit the last TR I wrote at all. I spent an hour and a half typing it off the top of my head and posted it right after that. After re-reading it on the board I realized that I should have held it for a few days and done some editing for grammar, clarity, and spelling. I'm not Hemingway, and for me to write at a reasonably readable level requires alot of work and re-working. I think that if I am going to post something for mass consumption, I owe it to the potential readers to take the time to make it the best it can be.

That said, I've posted about trips out of haste at times because I needed the catharsis of getting it out there. Kind of like using cc.com as a shrink (given, a shrink that berates you and smacks you around)...because few people can understand what we as climbers go through.

I disagree with the idea that route reports need to be well written. An article in Rock and Ice magazine should be well written, but somebody's report that they climbed The Tooth and found snow plastered all over the rock need not be. I enjoy reading well-written route reports but the fact that somebody doesn't have time to edit their writing for three days - or maybe lacks the skill of an English professor - need not and should not prevent the sharing of information or the celebration of a good or not so good day in the mountains. To put someone down because they didn't meet your standard, whether your technical rock climbing standard or your standard for "good writing," is lame.

willstrickland said:

Personally, I enjoy reading TRs. Probably because I can't get out as much as I'd like, and it's vicarious adventure. Also, since I'm not a native of the NW, I find out about alot of cool things to add to the "to do" list.

I've written a few TRs that I posted here. Usually I just write up an account in my own climbing journal, but if something novel or unusual happened, or if I think someone might get a laugh out of my gaper antics, I might post it. I think by and large my stuff is personally deprecating rather than chest beating. I'm a hack, and I'm well aware of it.

As for the TRs themselves, I'm guilty of work that could be better. I didn't edit the last TR I wrote at all. I spent an hour and a half typing it off the top of my head and posted it right after that. After re-reading it on the board I realized that I should have held it for a few days and done some editing for grammar, clarity, and spelling. I'm not Hemingway, and for me to write at a reasonably readable level requires alot of work and re-working. I think that if I am going to post something for mass consumption, I owe it to the potential readers to take the time to make it the best it can be.

That said, I've posted about trips out of haste at times because I needed the catharsis of getting it out there. Kind of like using cc.com as a shrink (given, a shrink that berates you and smacks you around)...because few people can understand what we as climbers go through.

I guess it is all a matter of perspective. I find your writing to be entertaing and interesting.

i would have to gree with will his last TR was not well written. it came across as a "bitch about the other climbers" post. however the other climber responded! and there was some good trash talking and spray going on for 7 pages which I approved of boxing_smiley.gifthumbs_up.gifboxing_smiley.gifthumbs_up.gif

Dru said:

where is your TR slothrop? :confused

Bug's TR is pretty good except for the #8217's. You can get around this by saving it as a .txt file first... wave.gif

GET OFF MY BACK ASSHOLE!!!

Whew. I feel better now. Yeah I wrote it in Word and cut & pasted it. Didn't even check it after I posted.

BUG IS A SLACKER! wave.gif

I didn't ask for anything. I even said I like TRs, big words and all.

Seems you want pictures and no words. I think yours is a 2nd grade request and your sarcasm is rude. All I am spraying on is you, your half ass remarks and vague incoherent reply's to people who like to share stories.

You don't like TR's with words, exercise your ability to ignore them.

Smart guy, no. Just bringing it down to your level. The beauty of sharing on an open forum.

pt

I would add that TRs are better if you break up the writing with cool photos, and if your TR is long, make sure to edit it thoroughly.

I don't like boards where everyone is compelled to say "good job, you're the best!", keeping anything else to themselves. We need some discussion, the question is, how much is too much?

fruit.gif

Paintrain said:

I didn't ask for anything. I even said I like TRs, big words and all.

Seems you want pictures and no words. I think yours is a 2nd grade request and your sarcasm is rude. All I am spraying on is you, your half ass remarks and vague incoherent reply's to people who like to share stories.

You don't like TR's with words, exercise your ability to ignore them.

Smart guy, no. Just bringing it down to your level. The beauty of sharing on an open forum.

pt

You didnt but your consistant whining about my opinion is pretty boring. I stated my opinion. If you dont like it too bad. Nobody said you had to agree.

I think my remarks are fine. If you dont like them do something about it.

I never said I never liked TR's with words. AGAIN your reading comprehension is in the gutter.

To my level. Well you are the one bent out of shape about my comments. I guess it's your level. You can easily ignore my comments as well as I can easily ignore boring tr's. Geek_em8.gif

Over the course of the past 12 months I have only razzed one person about a tr - and oh yes it was full of lies,chestbeating and poorly written. I graced the thread with my opinion. Nothing more. My negative remarks are much lower rate than many others here. Get a life.

Later hahaha.gif

ClimbingH said:

I personally enjoy reading TRs. I find most of them fun, informative and inspirational. Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences. wave.gif

Well put. If I didn't make that apparent in my last post, I too enjoy TR's immensly. They are the most helpful and entertaining part of this site (well 2nd most entertaining, the particular thread that has it's own section dedicated to it is the most entertaining). I don't care if they are well written or not. They are all helpful, cool and fun....

Keep on posting the TR's!!

Good trip reports have reasonable paragraph break that make for easier reading, particularly if it is a long report. Good reports integrate images and text together. Good writers consider their reader's viewpoint. This is why, as willstrickland mentioned, it is such a good idea to take a break, step back and review what you have written, before posting. Granted, I don't always do this myself.

A good criticizm doesn't just say "your trip report sucks", it tells the author how he might do better next time. And what is wrong with sending the person a PM to save him/her public embarrassment?- unless that is your intention.

>>>"Everyone should write TR's about secret ice and brag photos on the internet.

Everyone should write TR's about every single pitch they climb.

Everyone should make internet posters of themselves on top of mountains and post them here every time.

Everyone should write about all the stupid jargon used to describe how they clipped up a 90 foot route.

I gain so much from all the above it's unreal." CM<<<<

the goo of such nasty sarcasm -

>>>>>"A photo thread is much different."CM

You stated how much different photo threads were, so my reading comprehension is fine.

I don't like your opinion on this so I am doing something about it. - Calling you full of it for lingering on a subject that you yourself confessed to hating (refer to above sarcasm).

Good to hear there are much more negative remarks out there - it makes me think there is hope for humanity. Just because there is worse, doesn't make it nicer. Nor does the sarcasm about posting TRs.

If you are going to lurk and bully fine, just don't get pissy when you get a little back. Enough said. Done with this one.

Actually, have a good weekend. Hope I didn't poke at you too hard. Its just the internet.

going climbing

pt

Glad to get under your skin. I'll keep up the good work.

Your reading comprehension is garbage because you are inserting your thoughts into my comments. AGAIN I never said written TR's were no good. Your skull is thick.

Nobody is getting pissy but you. You are all worried about my opinion. Get over it. You can't change it.