Canada Poll

Lambone

Pretend it was your first ice trip to the Can. Rockies...If you had just three full days to climb ice in the Banff/Canmore Area, what routes would you climb?

I'm going the weekend before Thanksgiving. Anything up to WI 5 is ok.

What is a good game plan? With only three days, I hope to avoid driving around and getting shut down.

bigdrink.gif

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Murchison Falls .

I guess it is obvious that to minimize driving and maximize

climbing on a short trip you need to go to a section that

has good routes close together? In that respect Canmore

itself is not always the best center. Gravity is high there.

The Ghost is far, the Kananaskis is far, etc. Lake Louise is

good for being closer to all the Parkway climbs (Bow Falls,

Mt. Wilson, Polar Circus), as well as Field (the Beer routes)

Also nearby is Johnston Canyon if you want to monkey about with

an audience. The higher elevation stuff on the Parkway is fairly

dependable even if a Chinook comes in. I spent 3 days there on

a November trip while it was raining in Banff rolleyes.gif

check www.live-the-vision.com and www.gravsports.com for conditions reports.

Says there Cascade is crowded slush and Professors is very wet. In a few weeks it might change. However Polar Circus is FAT right now it also says. smile.gif Also Mixed master is in with lotsa ice.

I mean if you only have 3 days why mess around? Go stay at Rampart Creek Hostel, climb weeping wall one day, polar circus one day, mixed master one day. Three quality routes and no fucking around with approaches!

Yeah Nice, Rampart Creek Hostel sounds like a good base camp, and close to the Parkway routes.

Do you need to make reservations there, or is it walk in? Is it too late allready?

Murchison, Polar Circus, and Weeping would be fantastic. Is that a realistic tick list for three days in a row?

Also, I'm meeting my bros from Bozeman, so we'll have a party of three. Kind of slower, but they are ropeguns... bigdrink.gif

Yeah, you should be able to do those three. I would start with Murchison's (it has the longest approach ~1 hour), do weeping wall in the middle for a shorter day with no approach and a two minute drive from Rampart Creek, and then finish with the big guy, Polar Circus.

If you tick those three, that would be f'ing cool.

fern said:

Murchison Falls .

I agree with fern that this should be one of the three days.

The other two should be occupied by one of these:

Professors

Louise Falls

Weeping Wall

Polar Circus

depending on avalanche conditions

iambone said:

Murchison, Polar Circus, and Weeping would be fantastic. Is that a realistic tick list for three days in a row?

Probably not, unless you and partner are in really really good shape. However, two of these with a shorter day in the middle would be reasonable.

Alex

stinkyclimber said:

IceIceBaby said:

North face of Fay Chouinard route

This is a fun route, not very hard, but definately not waterfall ice, and not really a winter route. Getting up to Colgan Hut would be a pain in the ass too. More of a summer line, I thought, but I could be wrong.

you are right. Doing N Face of Fay in winter would suck up 2+ days of your schedule, for 3 pitches of steep snow. rolleyes.gif

If you could do only one right now I would have to vote for Polar Circus. It's a fabulous route and reportedly in great shape at the moment. Murchinson is also classic and not far from the Rampart Hostel. Professors is a fun one to but very rambling. Weeping Wall also rocks. Wonder what the N. Face of Athabasca looks like right now? fruit.gif