This season's persistent weak layers

Toast

I don't want to sound like Chicken Little, but I was out last week and noticed huge TG crystal formations at ground and a pretty substantial layer of surface hoar all around from 3500' on up. With the long clear cold stint and recent snow that's covered up these layers there's a lurking avalanche beast out there.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Toast said:

I don't want to sound like Chicken Little, but I was out last week and noticed huge TG crystal formations at ground and a pretty substantial layer of surface hoar all around from 3500' on up. With the long clear cold stint and recent snow that's covered up these layers there's a lurking avalanche beast out there.

Good call Tony! thumbs_up.gif

http://www.seawfo.noaa.gov/products/SABSEA

iain said:

it's the pnw! anything dangerous gets buried and smashed within weeks if not days.

For the most part, this is true. It's still good to keep track of what happens now for consideration all season long. Much more important to keep track in the Rockies from Utah to Jasper! Thank god for avalanche info being on the internet. bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif

It is pretty warm out there, so hopefully things will get smashed up, but it's good to keep track of these things over the season. Last year's big accidents were all due to persnickety persistent layers that didn't get smashed. Take a look at the snowpack analysis of the Cement Basin Avalanche. My understanding is that this was the same buried layer that struck up in Revelstoke (twice.) Anyway, discuss... tongue.gif

iain said:

days upon days of heavy wet snow dropped at or near the freezing level. what else? confused.gif

No way. Nothing can smash a rain crust that extends to the ground. Not even a Ninja who totally flips out. He could chop and stab all he wants but will make very little progress exept for big blishters on his hands.