Ideas on cleaning a pack?

To_The_Top

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

olyclimber said:

When someone discovers the majick method for removing the scent of cat pee from a pack, please PM me or post. Also, if someone needs a cat, let me know.

Haven't been cleaning the litter box, have you? yellaf.gif I've long ago learned to hang up high any items I'm drying outside or bring into the house that smell like good old Mother Earth: tents, ropes, backpacks, sleeping bags. I normally clean packs and such using M-Lou's tub method, but in the few instances when a cat has struck, the front-load washing machine--cold-water wash, regular soap, extra rinse--does the trick. Pet stores have some topical cleaners, also an Off!-type spray, but I've never used those.

olyclimber said:

When someone discovers the majick method for removing the scent of cat pee from a pack, please PM me or post. Also, if someone needs a cat, let me know.

Some dry cleaners have a special treatment available. A few phone calls should yield some good info.

PS...I'll take your cat. I LOVE cats.......in gravy.

Edited by Thinker

Thinker said:

olyclimber said:

Some dry cleaners have a special treatment available. A few phone calls should yield some good info.

PS...I'll take your cat. I LOVE cats.......in gravy.

I wouldn't recommend dining on this particular cat. I think it has a bloodline relation to a pole cat or some other scented feline. yellaf.gif There is the strange story of how its mother went missing for a few months up in Bellingham, and then showed up in my closet one day having kittens...and this one picked me out. Anyway, my son seems to like it, so unfortunately for all of you...this cat giveaway business is all in jest.

What'd you wash it with, concrete driveway cleaner? If washing the pack caused the stitching to fall apart, then it was probably (prolly?) pretty worn out already. I'd use something like woolite, or the stuff they sell for washing sleeping bags, and let it hang dry in the open air for a couple of days.

Inspired by this thread, I went out and bought a bottle of Woolite (on sale at Bartells) and scrubbed my old Kelty Glacier Peak pack, which I've been using for well over a decade, and which has as long as I can remember has been redolent of that macho fragrance of old sweat, bug juice, and sunscreen.

I scrubbed it pretty well with a brush, squeezed the soapy water in the padded shoulder straps and waist belt, rinsed the whole thing off (boy did the water get dirty!) and hung it upside down to dry under cover on the deck. Now we wait.

No problems with seams coming loose, that I could see. If you used bleach, I think that might cause some sorts of thread to dissolve?