debate fodder: lots of new climbers

lummox

• Replies 733
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

scott_harpell said:

it is no big deal to hop onto a route that is at or above your level if you kno you can be lowered off. if D.D.D. is at your level, you will mabe think twice before hopping on it. as a bolted route i would be tempted to jump on it, but i dont have the cajones to do so until i get stronger.

Why does EVERY route have to be a big deal????

Everything's just gotta be a sufferfest, huh?? That's a dumb argument...

scott_harpell said:

i heard some people thought getting smashed and burning a shit load of tires was fun back in the day, but mabe also not the best example of stewardship.

and your point is???

Somehow, you and i fundamentally disagree on the fact that a bolt is the predicator for imminent demise of a cliff...

RuMR said:

scott_harpell said:

it is no big deal to hop onto a route that is at or above your level if you kno you can be lowered off. if D.D.D. is at your level, you will mabe think twice before hopping on it. as a bolted route i would be tempted to jump on it, but i dont have the cajones to do so until i get stronger.

it doesn't... but i am not gonna alter therock so that it is safe for me to climb. people have done this RUMR. check it out nd you will see the bolt holes. It is not a sufferfest, but rather a challenge come may take it upon themselves to commit to. it also shows precedence. you say "who cares about 32 & 38" but i see the spreading cancer that has manifested itself in the form or retrobolting of classic testpieces that challenge the body and mind. no that stupid of an argument i would say.

pope said:

RuMR said:

Not everyone digs commitment, and alot of people enjoy challenge...why does it have to be all one way or all the other????????

In classic mountaineering, the two are inseparable.

But i don't like like mountaineering, i like cragging...why do i have to play by your self-imposed rules?

scott_harpell said:

RuMR said:

scott_harpell said:

it doesn't... but i am not gonna alter therock so that it is safe for me to climb. people have done this RUMR. check it out nd you will see the bolt holes. It is not a sufferfest, but rather a challenge come may take it upon themselves to commit to. it also shows precedence. you say "who cares about 32 & 38" but i see the spreading cancer that has manifested itself in the form or retrobolting of classic testpieces that challenge the body and mind. no that stupid of an argument i would say.

You are never gonna convince me (and the majority) that sport climbing and traditional climbing can not coexist...

RuMR said:

scott_harpell said:

RuMR said:

scott_harpell said:

You are never gonna convince me (and the majority) that sport climbing and traditional climbing can not coexist...

with that attitude. perceived encroachments on 'traditional climbing turf' will be disposed of accordingly. some are less reasonable that i and will not hesitate to eradicate a bolt they see that sets a precedence and an alarming shift in acceptable bolting procedures. his name is hugh luvbar. Sportos are threatinging the very nature of traditional climbing by eradicating any semblance of commintment and danger. this is a necessary facet of trad climbing and something that transcends the act of climbing. besides bolt yankers... what do traddy daddy's do to jeopardize your sport?

Squaw ChickenLittle...perhaps you should discuss w/ Darryl Cramer the real reason DDD was bolted...do it via pm's..

The sky is not falling, very few entire crack systems are bolted...Don't worry, you'll be able to scare yourself silly as often as you'd like...

Scott and Pope I'm really confused

DSCN5428.JPG

In this picture you see a road cut, power lines, and clear cuts but your only concern is the little metal things stuck in the cliff. What the fuck is wrong with you two.

Also, while Pope tells us, and I agree, that, moss grows back quickly; it takes a long long time for soils to build up in cracks and for trees and bushes to grow in the soil. Yet it isn't a big deal to rip that shit out while cleaning a crack for a FA, but place a little metal thing in the rock and watch out.

AlpineK said:

Scott and Pope I'm really confused

DSCN5428.JPG

In this picture you see a road cut, power lines, and clear cuts but your only concern is the little metal things stuck in the cliff. What the fuck is wrong with you two.

Also, while Pope tells us, and I agree, that, moss grows back quickly; it takes a long long time for soils to build up in cracks and for trees and bushes to grow in the soil. Yet it isn't a big deal to rip that shit out while cleaning a crack for a FA, but place a little metal thing in the rock and watch out.

a wasn't condoning either. the clear cut was ther previously... that is like commenting on the taiwaneese workers that are being exploited for creating the clow outfits in pope's post. it is a superfluous issue, though important, is relatively irrelevant to the case at hand.

You are defining a road cut as wilderness??? WTF??? Pretty soon the elementary school yard will be if you keep w/ that logic...

It is an excellent use of a resource...I seriously doubt you'd or (anyone else) would be interested in heading to that fractured rock w/ a rack...so why not bolt it up and use it as a resource for the city of seattle??

You are making no sense to me... confused.gif