JoshK

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

blue_morph said:

The real question is WHY would you want to? moon.gif

Seems to me the real value of pushing it for speed is broadening and deepening your own knowledege of your limits and capabilities--something that can come in mighty handy at a time you're faced with the harsh and unexpected.You never know what you can do till you try--or until you have to.

-----------------------------------

"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening at once." grin.gif

Mtguide said:

blue_morph said:

The real question is WHY would you want to? moon.gif

Seems to me the real value of pushing it for speed is broadening and deepening your own knowledege of your limits and capabilities--something that can come in mighty handy at a time you're faced with the harsh and unexpected.You never know what you can do till you try--or until you have to.

-----------------------------------

"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening at once." grin.gif

thumbs_up.gif

I can see the feeling of satisfaction one would get from doing that in a day.

Also there is much less bushwacking than any of the guides suggest. It is all on trail until you drop towards the impasse...as long as you know where the trail is... smirk.gif

I like to take long day trips just for the shear pleasure of seeing all that terrain. And chest beat or not, I like to read about other people's trips. Most TR's that sound like chest beaters are just not expert writers. It is difficult to write about a difficult trip that includes a serious accomplishment without sounding like a total thumper. Trip on dude. Tell us how it went. Just don't tell us it took less than four hours.

OK, I should have clarified. I was wondering if anybody *here* had done it, or could share personal experience. I assumed it had been done, and I certainly didn't think I was going to go out and try to be the first person to do it in a day and chest beat about it.

Basically I am interested in doing the mountian, but can't spare 5, or even 3 days right now. Doing it in 2 seems dumb, because I think the lighter weight of doing it in 1 day would more than make up for just a single extra day.

I failed to summit and took 3 days. Does that count as an almost? grin.gif

It's true that there are no big obstacles until you get to Perfect Pass, just a lot of trail miles and a fair amount of elevation gain, loss, gain. But the pass is so annoying, and slow, and unpleasant that it's a real monkeywrench in the works. At least it was in July. However, earlier in the season, if instead of struggling up 45 degree brush slopes one could proceed directly up firm snow, it would be a LOT more fun, and maybe realistic to do in 24 hours, if someone really wanted to.

I haven't explored the impasse myself, so I can't really comment on that portion. I heard it's a little exposed if you're wearing a full pack. One more time saver, maybe, if you're traveling light.

the last 24 hour guy was there in july. the impasse is exposed but soloable if you found the right spot. I would not want to have to cross it if it was wet. I will say I was glad to have a rope where we crossed, not for the difficult climbing, but the chossy nature of the downclimbing where we wound up.

klenke said:

I think Cracked's point was valid. If you want to speed climb for your own experimentation, then so be it. If you feel like telling us what you've learned about yourself, then it more often than not comes across as chestbeating.

Why does this crowd seem to think that someone sharing their trip and what they learned is cheastbeating? No wonder few people want to put their trip reports on this board. I for one think it is cool to hear what people learned and how they challenged their own limits. That's one of the reasons I read mountaineering books periodically. It would be so incredibly boring to just get the facts about distance, elevation gain, grade, and time. Kinda like reading a guidebook. Come on people, what are you so bothered about?

ehmmic said:

klenke said:

I think Cracked's point was valid. If you want to speed climb for your own experimentation, then so be it. If you feel like telling us what you've learned about yourself, then it more often than not comes across as chestbeating.

Why does this crowd seem to think that someone sharing their trip and what they learned is cheastbeating? No wonder few people want to put their trip reports on this board. I for one think it is cool to hear what people learned and how they challenged their own limits. That's one of the reasons I read mountaineering books periodically. It would be so incredibly boring to just get the facts about distance, elevation gain, grade, and time. Kinda like reading a guidebook. Come on people, what are you so bothered about?

I agree with ehmic. Posting a trip report is not in and of itself chestbeating. It is how you write the report that counts. The number of trip reports have fallen way off and I regard them as the most important aspect of this site.