where to find skins

mellsbells

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think I have ever seen cheap used skins for sale anywhere - in 30 years of skiing - at least not skins that you would WANT to use.

I haven't checked recently, but in the past there have been some good prices at MEC in Vancouver. For a while they had skins on a roll that they would sell by the foot, and you then had to buy hardware separately. Since I use the Candian "top fix" system anyway, so I usually disgard the clips that come with them, that "bulk" deal was pretty good.

The Mountain Shop on 628 NE Broadway(right across the street from Les Schwab Tires).

Oregon Mountain Community,60 NW Davis.(just off Front St./Naito Pkwy).

US Outdoor Store,219 SW Broadway.

Next Adventure,426 SE Grand.

Also at REI,but you'll pay a mint for 'em.

All of the above are listed in the phone book.

Cheap used you might find at the REI sidewalk sale every spring and fall,or at Next Adventure,altho those guys have wised up and their prices are no longer such great deals-but it was fun while it lasted.Still they're worth a try.Good luck! wave.gif

boatskiclimbsail said: Try also second wind in Hood River, they have a small used ski section there.

2nd wind usually has some ski stuff - also try upstairs at Storm Warning they've got used BC stuff (tele, AT, splitboards). The REI discount skins are functional - I'd spend a little extra and get the mail order Glidelites from sierratradingpost instead.

Mellsbells;

Not sure where to send you in Portland to find skins but you may want to check out this skin review in Off Piste magazine from last winter. The link is below. It is a large pdf file and may be slow to load unless you have a high speed connection.

http://www.offpistemag.com/themag/gear/vol5/op_17skins.pdf

Good luck in your search.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Mellsbells:

I recommend rei-outlet.com. Last year they had some "seconds" on sale. Supposedly they had some cosmetic defects or something, but I can't find anything wrong with them. I'm not sure if they still have this deal, though. It's worth checking out.

-Jim