hamstring questions

minx

i tweaked mine yesterday on a run and i have a few questions

1) i've never given a mild strain any time off, should i? i really don't want to lose any training time but i know several people that have had chronic hamstring problems. i don't want that either.

2)any reason that climbing would aggravate this more than running would?

3) any recommendations for prevention in the future?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

minx said:

1) i've never given a mild strain any time off, should i? i really don't want to lose any training time but i know several people that have had chronic hamstring problems. i don't want that either.

Ever since having some lower back problems a few years ago, I've been nearly obsessed with keeping my hamstrings happy and loose. Any time that my back starts acting up, I do additional hamstring stretching, and things get better.

I can't see any way that climbing activities could aggravate it more than running. Running is the one thing I know of that definitely works them hard. Personally, I'd recommend giving them a good rest, with lots of stretching, before pushing them too hard again. Even if it's just a few days, it'll be worth it in the long run. You won't lose much training effect over a few days.

As for the long-term thing, stretch, stretch, stretch.

Gotta rest it from running or it could get worse... gentle stretching, massage, ice, ibuprofen. climbing won't really bother them too much as long as you stay off the steep stuff where you have to heel hook or really pull in with your toes to stay on. That uses your hamstrings.

minx said:

try a light massage or three. ibuprofen. lots of water.

heel hook no good fo you girly.

yoga. warm up long time before going hard. wave.gif