Here come the science geeks.....

vegetablebelay

Cashmere Mountain is top choice for U.S. lab

By Seattle Times staff

LEAVENWORTH, Chelan County — A group of scientists considering sites for a $300 million underground national science laboratory has picked a mountain in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness west of town as its top choice.

Another nearby Cascades peak is No. 2, though further study is needed before a final decision is made.

The group, led by University of Washington physicist Wick Haxton, is looking at 12 sites in the West for the National Underground Science and Engineering Laboratory.

The lab would conduct research in physics, astrophysics, earth science and geomicrobiology, studying particles from the sun, the formation of minerals and hydrology in the earth and microbial life deep underground.

Topping the list is Cashmere Mountain nine miles west of Leavenworth, said Kaleen Cottingham, a project consultant and former deputy state lands commissioner. Cannon Mountain, nine miles southwest of town, is the second choice.

Both mountains are on U.S. Forest Service land with their summits in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness, a 390,000-acre area where motorized vehicles, roads and logging are banned.

Continued Here:

http://archives.seattletimes.nwsource.com/cgi-bin/texis.cgi/web/vortex/display?slug=lab05m&date=20031105

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Other than the fact that Leavenworths population will explode and all the classic climbing locations will become novelties in wealthy peoples back yards...and permits to climb Prusik Peak will be a 3 year back order process with a guide required....and little Bavaria will become like Jackson Hole.........I think it is great!

Especially if they are hiring! hellno3d.gif

I also think it very humerous that the local Philanthropist and supposed spokesperson for the Alpine Lakes environment - Harriet Bullitt is supporting this.

Although a huge supporter of environmental causes....she has much vested interest in a population increase...with benefits going to the Sleeping Lady Retreat.

Not to say that she has not done a lot of very good things for the area.

outside of the EIS shutting this thing down i see it as a benefit for the region. chelan county is fucked in the way of progress this about the only thing that will jump start it.

also to note in montana they do alot of bore mining. they now locate ore from space imagery and then take samples.

the cabinet mtns are like hollow shells of what they used to be.

schnitzem said:

Most of the old tunnels were built by blasting...which would undermine structural integrity, the new design would be bored.

It would be worth noting that the current NUEL is located in the Homesteak gold mine.

As for the rich people back yard - a rich particle physicist? that's like finding a rugged sporto.

I'm sure that the construction can be done in a way that impacts the wilderness minimally. The real change to the place will be the increased traffic, population, and general awareness of the place. It's not exactly remote as it is, but the road will probably have to be widened for safety, and there will be a twice daily rush hour-- this only after several years of chaotic construction traffic. I wouldn't oppose such a project, but I may try to get my kids up there to see the valley before the whole undertaking starts.

Mount Cashmere and the all of the surrounding area need to remain as they are are. There are already labs such as this with scientists willing to share information. If this lab is built you you might as well not call it "Alpine Lakes Wilderness" anymore because of the traffic and constuction will make it a zoo. And not to mention serious issues with future access to all parts of the mountain. It seems highly hipocritical that some pseudo-local bigwigs who claim to be such environmentalists are in support of buliding this lab. It is sad when profits override principle. There are numerous obvious reasons for not allowing this lab to be built with the bulk of them being the intrests of climbers, skiers and other outdoor enthusiasts.

The tunnel will likely enter the mountain at the elevation of the existing Icicle Canyon Road and bore more or less horizontally under the mountain. No one in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness would even know it was there.

I'll bet there are very few skiers at Stevens Pass ski area who are aware that there is a train tunnel directly beneath the slopes on which they ski.

Trav said:

What about all of the construction traffic and imrpovement to Icicle Road? This would surely limit access to cragging in the area. Amd there is already enough traffic in the icicle anyway.

This is what concerns me...

According to the UW "experts", there will be thirty semi and trailer loads a day for aprox. 5 years running out the Icicle road. I doubt it will affect access to most of the crags, except perhaps some of the road side parking, but man is it gonna add some noise and eye pollution, not to mention the annoyance of increased traffic.

Is it gonna have it's own power source or will the PUD run new lines down the road?

What about the water coming out of the tunnel? Will it be treated and pumped into the creek?

What is the scope of road "improvements"?

Most importantly (not really), will we still be able to access The Funnel since they plan on entering Cashmere from the property directly below it?

I say send it to North Dakota they want the damn thing anyway and Mt. Rushmore is already an eyesore, the tunnel will fit right in.

Fairweather said:

Science trumps environment. It sounds like it can be done with only minimal impact. Who knows, maybe they will eventually build a super-collider from Icicle Creek to Mount Daniel! Maybe then they'll keep the Middle Fork Road open. the_finger.gif

Are you just trying to stir the pot or be funny or something? Many people who live in and enjoy the Icicle want to keep it the way it is. Many think there is too much traffic now as it is. This uneeded and wasteful lab project won't do any good for anyone but a select few. Locals will speak out against this thing and hopefully it will not come to to pass.