WFR certification

Jeff

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

forrest_m said:

anyone know a WFR class offered on an evenings + weekends schedule? seattle area a +. i'm just not willing to use up half my yearly vacation to do an 8-day course. confused.gif

I tried to get this rolling one time at MSFT, as there was an interest in a night WFR class that didnt suck up vacation days, but it didnt get enough support. Basically it comes down to money. Because you have to pay the instructor, and often lodge them as well, doing it "quickly" (i.e. 5-6 days) is the most cost effective way for WMA or any other organization that hands out these certificates to do this accross the country. Otherwise, the course fee would be much steeper, as it covers all the instructor expenses. If you want the instructor to stay twice as long and only do evening classes, the fee could be almost double the current asking rate of around 450-600$ per course. Not many people are willing to shell out an extra 600$ to save vacation days, since most people get leave without pay anyway...

just a thought...

Alex

The class on Orcas is no more. I checked on it and it was canceled due to lack of interest. I too have been thinkin about gettin a WFR, so... Anyway I did ask them about gettin another class together and/or lettin me know so that I can get a few more involved.

If it happens what kind of interest is out there? It would be run at the YMCA camp and they may do a lodging package also. They run the classes for their staff as they take the kids out camping on little islands and stuff.

I just talked with Scott at the Y camp on Orcas. They cancelled this years course and next is in question. He is very interested in working with other groups to get it moving again. He brings in instructors usually thanksgiving week and does the full imersion thing. Classes are 8:00 to 5:00 five day week plus a few extra hours. The package would be $610 room and board included. He says that experience is people that live and study the class together due better on the test and much better at the 2 year recert. If you can get away without the room it is $100 or so cheaper.

He likes to run the class when he can get his staff to it so no summer times and no winter break slots. Other than that he is flexible on schedule, and will work with groups to make something happen.

Is there enough interest to get 8 or more people together for a group thing?