Patagonia Stretch Speed Ascent Jacket Opinions?

charlesclaassen

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i have the strech element jacket in which i really like.. tho i preferred last years to this years...

but crapped is right.....when was the last time you had multiple layers on as you moved??? rarely in the pnw......

i think the sandwiched style coats reduce your options.....and they would be bulkier....

and just to note i have an arcteryx beta ar on sale......cheap!!!!

bigdrink.gif

erik said:

cracked said:

Oh, and if you're bushwhacking in the rain you're gonna get very, very wet no matter what you're wearing.

garbage sack!!!! tho i personally recommend crapped to make sure he tightens it up nice and snug around his neck!!! hahaha.gif

Go climb a rock, Erik. yellowsleep.gif

cracked said:

Too warm, period. When's the last time you wore a heavy fleece beneath a shell while moving? I haven't. Ever.

Have you EVER been climbing outside of the Northwest? It gets alot colder elsewhere. I've been climbing with GTX, Fleece, and still been cold in the 'Daks. STFU.

cj001f said:

cracked said:

Too warm, period. When's the last time you wore a heavy fleece beneath a shell while moving? I haven't. Ever.

Have you EVER been climbing outside of the Northwest? It gets alot colder elsewhere. I've been climbing with GTX, Fleece, and still been cold in the 'Daks. STFU.

Yeah, only this is cascadeclimbers.com. rolleyes.gif Why not go more versatile and get an uninsulated softshell and a fleece coat to match? rolleyes.gif

cj001f said:

cracked said:

i agree with cracked. i live in ak and don't want an insulated shell. if it is so cold that you need more layers put on your down. cause at those temps it ain't raining. an insulated shell is too warm and has a very limited niche. my $0.02

I agree with the sentiment expressed by many here: Why not go with shell and a separate insulation layer for a more versatile system? wazzup.gif

I have climbed a lot in other climates, Rockies, South America, New England, etc. In New England it gets considerably colder that here in the PNW. blush.gif I used the separate shell and insulation setup in New England (–38 degree with 100 mph winds on Mt. Washington cantfocus.gif ) and I use it here to.

This way I can have a shell (hard or soft) with no insulation for wamer but wetter and/or windier days, insulation for colder days with low winds and no or little precip, and both for wehen you really need it.

With an all in one coat, you have one choice instead of three.

Why would you sacrifice the versatility? confused.gif

What do you get for giving it up? confused.gif

Nothing that I can see. confused.gif

Am I missing something? wazzup.gif

wave.gif

Rodchester said:Why would you sacrifice the versatility? confused.gif

What do you get for giving it up? confused.gif

You gain:

Less bulk. Less weight. More mobility. Better transfer of water vapor.

Sure you loose in versatility - but lots of places you know the weather ain't going to change. But it has it's niche. And they've been way cheap at the outlets. For what it's worth the shell/fleece combo is/was popular in Scotland. I also know people who love them for skiing.