What does it take to work at US Outdoor?

AARON1

Went into US Outdoor store to look at Skis and the LaSportiva Lhotse boot this weekend.

I think management at the store needs to rethink who they have working there.

I first went to look at the skis. The guy I talked to new his stuff but was so caught up into spoutting bull shit that I turned around and went to try my luck up stairs with the boots. When I get up there the girl that was trying to help customers looked like she had not gotten off her ass in a couple years and didn't do much while I was there. No one there could answer any questions I had about the boots. If anything I came out of there knowing that the boots fit and I will buy them somewhere else. For the skis I am still in the dark.

Oh well this is what I get for going into a glorified clothing store.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AARON1 said:

Went into US Outdoor store to look at Skis and the LaSportiva Lhotse boot this weekend.

I think management at the store needs to rethink who they have working there.

I first went to look at the skis. The guy I talked to new his stuff but was so caught up into spoutting bull shit that I turned around and went to try my luck up stairs with the boots. When I get up there the girl that was trying to help customers looked like she had not gotten off her ass in a couple years and didn't do much while I was there. No one there could answer any questions I had about the boots. If anything I came out of there knowing that the boots fit and I will buy them somewhere else. For the skis I am still in the dark.

Oh well this is what I get for going into a glorified clothing store.

Makes REI sound like it is staffed with highly trained professionals...... blush.gif

• 3 months later...

I went there today to get cam lube and thought the folks upstairs were good guys, esp since I was ready to fall over from exhaustion from midterms and smith.

I think the lesson is don't ask questions you already have opinions on. Just the facts. You want opinionated, go to Monods in Banff. The guy in the basement basically called me a moron for not wanting to try on certain styles of leather boot. The guy wouldn't shut the fuck up about his goddamn boots. I wanted to leave badly, but he just kept arguing with me about my opinions on the quality of La Sportiva and Salomon. This was a couple months ago and I'm still pissed off. I think the guy was just lonely in the basement with all the A5 lowrider sweatpant hotties upstairs.

I went there today to get cam lube and thought the folks upstairs were good guys, esp since I was ready to fall over from exhaustion from midterms and smith.

I think the lesson is don't ask questions you already have opinions on. Just the facts.

The have problems with those too. I was there last year - and the guys upstairs were claiming that people died doing a pendulum jump because they used static rope and not dynamic hellno3d.gif

There is one guy who works at US Outdoor who is pretty cool, knowledgable and soft-spoken. Can't recall his name but he's got sort of longish, dark-blonde hair. Anyhow, he special ordered a part from BDEL for me, gave it to me for free and when I bought some leashes for my tools told me to tell the counter folks that I was a member of the Mazamas and I'd get a 10% discount (even though I am not a member). thumbs_up.gif

He later apologized for asking if I was a mazama. yelrotflmao.gif Also, Shred and I ran into him and a partner aat Crown Point when we climbed the Crown Jewel.

I never used to like US Outdoor but after that I'll give them some of my hard-earned bones.

US Outdoor has become the Abercrombie and Fitch of mountain shops. The guys working there have just been there long enough but recently you HAVE to be a very young, very ignorant, and very hot chick to work there. Although I don’t mind because I LOVE the eye-candy, but I usually only go in there to check prices on items I already know everything about. So I advise anyone to use the US Outdoor shop as a way of finding a price and then go to the other shops and make them beat it.

If you want Beta.. go to the MT Shop and talk to Jeremy.

If you want Beta.. go to the MT Shop and talk to Jeremy.

I dunno. The manager in the ski section at USOC is nice and knowledgeable, as is the aforementioned climber upstairs. Most of the retail shops in PDX are a mixed bag - some are nice and knowledgeable, some rehash verbatim product data sheets, some are clueless (except for REI, they blow, most of them work there for the "scene") I can only look forward to the Pearl District REI fruit.gif

CJ..

why do you think the Pearl would make REI any better?

i didnt say you can find ONE person that is nice at US outdoor, but when it comes to hard core beta, the Mt Shop has by far more dedicated back country skiers and climbers. I wouldnt ask the girls at US outdoor for anything more then their number.

REI will be geared to sell overpriced crap to every yuppy poser living in their 200K loft on Glisan.

sarcasm, n: the bastard stepchild of irony

usage:

Mom: how was school today, son?

Son: it was fuckin' great, mom.

REI usage:

(Yuppie Soccer) Mom: Why do the call this place RECREATIONAL Equiment Inc.? There is tons of stuff me, my fat husband, and 2.5 kids need here.

REI Employee: May I suggest the new REI version of the pink Nalgene bottle.

Y.S Mom: Oh wow, I bet that thing 'll stand up to even rolling out of the floor of my Hummer.. . . Oh Ashton (Yuppie son) did you get to rock climb on that mini climbing wall?

Y. Son: Yea, it was bitchin mom. . . . can I buy this cool nesting cast iron cook set for my backpacking trip.

So I went into buy a new pair of shoes at OMC and looked at the 5.10 something. The young tyke says "Oh yeah but there not too good for heel hooking." And I say "Yeah, but I'll use 'em for the alpine." And he says, "Yeah well I heel hook all the time in the alpine and I wouldn't get them." I said "Thanks for the advice. I'll take 'em at $50 off retail sparky."

Jackass.

I had the misfortune of slaving for the corporation posing as a coop you all know as REI. I worked there for two years and I will say:

When NAFTA passed, REI a month fired all 100 something of its employees who designed/manufactured the gear (REI brand which in REI lingo is called the THAW corporation) and opened a shop down in sunny mexico. They didn’t bother mentioning this to any of the members in the annual report.

Of all the factors that affected my bi-yearly raise, the one thing that affected it the most was how many memberships I was selling. In fact, it was twice as high/values as product knowledge. REI sets monthly goals for all its employees based on how many hours they work. If this were a corporation, this would make sense. But its not, they claim coop. Hmmm.

If you read the Oregonian article on the new pearl district REI, they current president talks about his hopes of doubling the number of REI’s in the next five years. I’m a member, when did they ever ask me about what I think the coop should and shouldn’t be doing. I think REI’s behavior is that of a corporation, not a coop as it claims. I don’t buy anything there except clif bars, etc and I return everything.

As far as US Outdoor goes, I agree: most are smoos, the chick are hot (I saw one girl crank two one arm pull ups in a row… hot!). They have a few there who know some, go for the sales.

CJ..

REI will be geared to sell overpriced crap to every yuppy poser living in their 200K loft on Glisan.

You got it nailed,except for the loft prices.Try 400 to 700K.Can't think of any other reason a BD Yosemite hammer would cost $87.50.Hayzoos Kee-rye-OST.Watch for 'em to go to $100 pretty soon.

wave.gif

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the compliment Rob! Descent people get descent service. Not everyone that works in a gear store is a climber. They should have knowledgeable staff on hand. Sorry for all of you who got bad service or don't like us. There are definately core climbers at this shop. You should be able to tell who climbs and who doesn't. Hint... look at the back of their hands for signs of crack climbing, and bulging forarms on the ice climbers. They have great gear at great prices. All of the shops in town have good people working there. Pick a shop that has a good selection and someone you like to deal with, and shop there. Remember it is retail and everyone has a bad day. If you are recocnized as a regular customer the shop will take care of you. The people that nickle and dime shops are the people that don't get hooked up. Pick a shop and start building frequent flyer miles, if you know what I mean. If you can't find the answers you are looking for ask for the person who can answer them. What it takes is looking for a job when one happens to be available. The people in charge have all been there for a while. Tell me who else carries the La Sportiva Lhotse, Nepal Extreme, Trango Ice, Trango Extreme, Vasque Super Alpinista, Vasque Ice 9000, Salomon Pro Ice, Garmont Fiamma Karbo GTX. All in stock for you to try on. Super glorified clothing store??? Best selection of everything is more like it.

• 1 year later...
.......You want opinionated, go to Monods in Banff. The guy in the basement basically called me a moron for not wanting to try on certain styles of leather boot. The guy wouldn't shut the fuck up about his goddamn boots. I wanted to leave badly, but he just kept arguing with me about my opinions on the quality of La Sportiva and Salomon. This was a couple months ago and I'm still pissed off. I think the guy was just lonely in the basement with all the A5 lowrider sweatpant hotties upstairs.

Did you spit on him before or after?

Johnny: Wake up my friend, clif bars are $1.35 at REI and $1.00 at Trader Joes.

REI, great place to return Alines. Except you get store credit only, no cash. Which might not be bad if you need overpriced clif bars! yelrotflmao.gif

Seriously, REI had an overwhelming number of members try to fight store expansion back when they had 1 store in

Seattle. (I was a member back then). That fight got lost as evidenced by the REI retail locations everywhere. I've known a lot of people who have worked there, and except for 1 person they were not appreciative of the way they were treated by management. Nice to have plenty of choices. I tried to buy my new skii boots there this year but wound up buying them form Mt Shop, I really enjoyed the owners attitude (Wayne something). It didn't hurt that when I started to fire him up for chasing Bergreunde ski swwap out, he corrected me and described why they left (too much work on 1 person in the bergfrende organzation, and mentioned that Grant HS had approched him this year and he was happy to support them.

Pretty much sealed it for me. Now Climbaxe is right next door too. I don't have anything bad to say about US Outdoor, bough my boy a board there this year.