• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

JayB said:

Nice Job.

Now someone just needs to set up a spotting scope to observe the 46 separate parties that are sure to descend on that sucker like the mongol hordes this coming weekend.

it's the second coming of the triple couloir gong show! yellaf.gif

Dane said:

Nice climb guys! Good job this time of year.

Can anyone give me the differences between the two gullies? The West one looked really nice. What is the deal on the other? Easier, harder, shorter, longer or just the same pretty much?

As you probably know, the NF is not the 'true' north face of hood but rather more of a northeastern aspect. That being said, the gully on the climbers right is supposed to be more difficult than the gully on the left. The left gully has its crux section right at the start while the right-hand gully has more difficult sections higher up.

If you've got a copy of Oregon High I recommend checking it out for a more detailed description. Shreds now done both gullys and can weigh in with more beta if you want it.

Dru said:

JayB said:

it's the second coming of the triple couloir gong show! yellaf.gif

imho the north face route on hood was much superior to triple couliors on dragontail...the approach (when the road's open) is shorter, the mountain much more grandiose, the glacier setting more aesthetic, and the total amount of ice more voluminous. the descent was a great deal more spicy too. i suppose part of my preference might just have been the conditions though (i've done each just once)...anyone else done both routes and have a preference?

Dane said:

Nice climb guys! Good job this time of year.

Can anyone give me the differences between the two gullies? The West one looked really nice. What is the deal on the other? Easier, harder, shorter, longer or just the same pretty much?

Ditto to the above beta. But I should add that the left gully is easy to escape left over to C. Spur if conditions turn sour and the right gully might have a bit more exposure to rock fall during warm temps or high winds.

Nice TR guys, and some stunning photos. I wish I had joined you ( or at least had similar conditions) It looks like it was a really aesthetic climb...probably alot more technically sustained and overall more dificult than when I was on it. Rob, your photo passing the first step is exactly where I got the most sketched.

Ivan, you fucking poser..."60 degrees average" it is truly amazing how a mountain can get 15 degrees steeper in just 3 months! yellaf.gifbigdrink.gif ( sorry, just feeling a bit irrascable this morning)

again, good job guys ! thumbs_up.gif

How about some weekend in February? I'd definitely be willing to skin up to Cloudcap pulling a pony keg. That sounds worthwhile in and of itself. Maybe get drunk, talk some smack, and commence with an extreme skiing send-fest.

bigdrink.gif

I wonder if we could get Extremo Mtn Dude to show?

Terminal_Gravity said:

That sounds like a blast to me too. I can bring several 5 gallon kegs which fit nicely into a pack. Dates any one?

i love TG...he reminds me of my favorite virginia senators...they get you drunk and tell you good stories...that's the meaning of democracy for me...now if only you provided fried fish at the same time