a walk in the freezer

ivan

4 esteemed gentlemen (iain, rob, pat, n' meself) climbed the right gully of the north face of hood saturday

a day that produced delirum...left portland at midnight after hitting the halloween parties, walked out of the cloud cap parking lot at 230. light powdery snow covering all the talus below the elliot made for a royal pain in the ass, but eventually we were up on the glacier and slogged over to the base of the north face. some of the cracks filled over, but still a lot of places to get screwed in. the gullies of the north face looked inviting enough, but the incessant spindrift pouring down made it look like a frozen waterfall, set in motion.

freezing stop to gear up...my hands are still cold. rob n' pat led off & the fun began. seemed like we climbed up and up forever, not takinga break until we were about 400 feet below the summit. the climbing wasn't too hard, a good constant 60 degrees with several invigorating steps...sure glad nobody fell as protection was placed few and far between. everything was covered in good ice and the climb passed w/o incident.

the first party moved a good deal faster than my slow ass, and elected to skip the last steep ice step, going around on the rock. beating us to the summit, they got too cold sitting around and descended the sunshine route. by the time iain and i were up, the weather had changed and visibility was dissapearing. with dark not too far away, we were unenthused at descending a route unknown to us in bad weather, so we elected to go downt he south side, which was great fun in it's super icy state (great picks in the frozen mud though) made it down to timberline and caught a ride back round to the north by 7 p.m., making it a very long day.

hopefully some of them camera-having fools can add some pictures and say something more interesting than i

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice climb! Glad you got down alright.

Texplorer and I met the other half of your party still waiting at Cloudcap at around 11pm. They were a bit cold and wondering where the hell you were.

Rather than doze in the truck, we decided to hike up a little ways and see if we could spot you. No such luck. After a few hours of sleep up on the ridge, we stashed or bivi gear and started to head up around 3:30. We didn't get too far before poor visibility and increasing snowfall turned us.

Weather is looking clear again might have to make another go of it.

The climbing was challenging. The spindrift made for a spicy lead. Just getting to the base of the actual gully was an exercise in wallowing. 100 yards of waist-deep snow took me almost an hour to cover. As you can tell in the pics above, I skirted to the side of the ice fall to avoid the deluge of spindrift and because the snow looked too soft. As it turned out it was bomber ice.

The climbing was sustained and pretty steep in some sections. There is a lot of ice forming to climbers right of the right gully and looked magnificent. If one wanted to go just cragging that would be the place.

Shred and I skirted the last ice flow on the rocks because the ice looked brittle and aerated. I found out later it wasn't.

Go get it folks. Its a lot of fun.

Oh--and from what Iain said, the south side is looking pretty desperate right now.

the south side chutes are solid blue water ice, and I was placing screws on descent. really nice in there, but short. the approach slopes above the bergschrund are a strange, tedious "gravel ice". Never seen anything like it. The slopes below crater rock are almost completely snow-free. Extremely tedious icy boulder/scree hopping in crampons in the dark. Highly not recommended. smirk.gif