Peshastin Pinnacles parking fee

Pencil_Pusher

Maybe it's my foggy memory, but I didn't recall a parking fee last year. Now there's a sign: daily parking fee is $5 or free if you have the annual state parks pass($50). I'm guessing it's new because the dirt around the sign and collection box looks new???

I'll let you know how anal they are about it. I only had $3 in change so I put that in the envelope. Nobody came by when we were there so maybe I should've played the "Don't have cash" card like the car next to us. So I'm half-expecting to get a coupon in the mail since the collection folks will see I didn't pay the whole thing, despite my note to them.

To top things off, perhaps the icing on the cake, a friend went to camp at Eight mile campground only to learn that the campgrounds are now under private care and were closed for the season. I don't know if this is always how it's been. If not, the picture he painted was that they were closed because the private companies were not making a profit with the campgrounds open at this time of year. Where do our tax dollars go and how did the feds ever manage for years on end before these fees?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I'm aware,PP is a WA state park,not federal.And of course all the states are experiencing huge budget shortfalls.In the case of fees on federal lands,Fee Demo trail and parking fees are the replacement for congressionally appropriated tax funds for recreation and trails on the National Forests,an artificially created created funding "crisis" due to Republican-backed starving of these appropriations over the last two administrations.What you are witnessing is the result of a very long and concerted effort to starve federal programs for public lands and facilities with the express purpose of making it appear that the federal government is incapable and incompetent to manage public lands and that privatization is the only alternative.It's essentially an outrageous grab by the corporate interests to take over the public lands.Educate your self on Fee Demo,and you'll begin to understand more clearly what's going on.There's a thread on cc.com about the recent vote in congress to reauthorize Fee Demo again. the troubles the states are having are due in part to federal grants to the states for a wide variety of programs and social services being starved in a similar manner,resulting in a domino effect on things like state parks,etc.Welcome to the new paradigm;ain't it cool?

Retrosaurus said:

Sorry, but while you were sleeping (or was that while you were purchasing NW Forest passes, BLM parking passes, Fish and wildlife parking passes, etc., etc.,etc., etc., etc.,) your public lands were taken away.

Historian/author Michael Parente has commented on what he calls "the corporate takeover of everything":

"What the wealthy want is:All the resources,all the business,all the manpower,all the perks and privileges,all the political power, all immunity and freedom from legal consequences for any and all behavior,and they don't want to have to pay anyone anything for any of it.They want all the rest of us to pay them for absolutely everything,and yes,that does include air,sunlight,and the freedom to so much as take a walk in the park." madgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gifhellno3d.gifhellno3d.gifhellno3d.gifmadgo_ron.gifboxing_smiley.gifboxing_smiley.gif

I am pretty sure that all of the Washington State Parks are going to a parking fee. They put that one in at PP at the beginning of the year...

From my expirence this year they are being pretty soft about it. I got a nice "We have your License number put 5 dollars in the box or we will mail you a ticket" warning... on my windshield last time.