Omega Pacific Gear

Wopper

MEC aint some ethically heroic company, by the way. i was once in a "black market" type bazaar in bangkok - and there was plenty of fresh MEC gear for sale. i was surprised to see brands like MEC and Haglofs (norway) and i asked the lady at the stand, "how did you get this stuff?" her reply was "dey make in vietnam". now im not on the save the planet tip, and i still by MEC gear and eat mcdonalds - call me what you will. just for perspective i guess.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so i guess you know that you can by Manolo Blahnik flats for 50c in that market too, and oscar de la renta for $1, and TNF parkas made out of real nylon, and Gucci shtuff, and Microsoft software that MIGHT just be pirated and not just a shill CD full of viruses??? oh and get the latest Backstreet Boys Cd 5 days before it is released in the west? wink.gif" border="0

My old American made Moonstone parka is almost worn out. What should I replace it with?

One of those cheap china imports, some day they might send your money back to you in a bomb!I don't see anyone working union getting rich. and the numbers of the last few years have been growing at least in the skilled trades people are getting tired of no job security.How did you know I always bought Moonstone Products? rolleyes.gif" border="0

I wretch whenever someone says they are a Bush supporter, or a Clinton supporter, or any other presidential supporter. And I eat shit! Anyone who wants the job should be automatically disqualified. It's about power. If they can do something good on the side, that's great but just don't deny them their power. By the time a person has made it to "presidential candidate" for the two polar powers, they have corrupted themselves way beyond common boundaries.

As a voter in a democratic society it is your responsibility to oversee what your political representatives are doing and getting away with. They are all getting away with something. We have to decide if it is affecting their ability to run this country. If you think they stand for something, just watch what happens when that stand becomes politically unpopular.

I support issues. I have never found a politician I implicitly trust and I have worked with many. I found my self going insane. I actually thought I could make a difference by taking on politicians. It doesn't work any better than supporting politicians. Take on issues that you beleive in regardless of who supports thems. Anything less is resignation to stoogedom. frown.gif" border="0

Camazonia:

Sure the unions have provided and continue to provide a lot of labor, both skilled and unskilled, to the American economy, but you have made it sound as if they are the only thing.

That is where we part. I have often wrestled with the Union mentality. I grew up in Ohio, a very union state. What I simply cannot stand about Unions is the self promoting self righteousness spew that I hear from MANY (not all)of thier members.

They almost seem brainwashed, lockstepped, in line all the time to the point that they refuse to recognize their weak points and seem to ignore them.

I am not a fan of any group like this, religon, political parties, etc.

So I'll clarlify my postion that I am not anti-union, I'm just not blinded by the propganda.

Hey its Friday.... [big Drink]

bellstriker.gif

The Coalition of Immokalee Workers needs your help to make Taco Bell a part of the solution in Florida's farmworkers' fight for dialogue and a fair wage!

Long gone are the days when small, family farmers supplied area stores and chains with locally-grown tomatoes in season. Today, huge corporate growers with multi-state operations sell tomatoes year round to even bigger corporate buyers, including fast food mega-chains like Taco Bell and Burger King. Those fast food giants receive cheap, high-quality US tomatoes, thanks to the sacrifices of thousands of hard-working Florida farmworkers who pick tomatoes at a piece rate that has remained virtually unchanged for over two decades.

We believe that the large corporations that buy Florida tomatoes must step up to their responsibility by demanding, and obtaining, changes in the shameful pay and working conditions suffered by the men and women who pick their tomatoes.

Why Taco Bell?

Taco Bell is part of Tricon Global Restaurants, Inc., together with Kentucky Fried Chicken and Pizza Hut. These three major chains control more than 30,000 restaurants around the globe, forming the "world's largest restaurant system in terms of units", according to Tricon's 1999 Annual Report. Also according to that same report, Tricon's system-wide sales reached nearly $22 billion in 1999, with Taco Bell alone reporting over $5.2 billion in system wide sales that year. Tricon reported more than 1.2 billion dollars in reported operating profit in 1999.

At the same time, according to the agricultural industry journal "The Packer", Taco Bell is a major client of the Immokalee-based Six L's Packing Co, one of the biggest tomato producers in the United States. Indeed, fresh tomatoes are a featured component of many of Taco Bell's best-selling products.

Given the sheer volume of Immokalee tomatoes it buys to supply its worldwide operations, and given its size and economic strength, Taco Bell has the power to help bring about more modern, more equitable labor relations in Immokalee's tomato fields, and... with power comes responsibility.

http://www.ratm.com/

Business ethics has always been a tough one to digest. This thread originally discussed use of Slave labor by OP. As I posted in another thread, the reason for manufacturing leaving Amerika is not limited to labor costs. Transfer taxes, transportation costs, energy costs, etc, etc all make Amerika more or less competitive. Once we realize that the ballot box is the opiate of the middle class; then we will have true revolution toward a social conscience. At this point in time,95% of Amerikans are essentially stupid and do not give a crap that their SUV petro dollars fund terrorism ( 15 of the 19 9/11 hijackers were from Saudia Arabia but you do not hear Bush calling the Saudis as the "axis of evil" )

We individually can support those companies that pay their taxes, dont pollute, manufacture quality locally- it is up to us.

Right on Bug... I'v always been disapionted in the power struggle of our government... but I guess I still give my support to them... BI-Partison, vote for the man,or woman, not the party...

I was just wondering in our shady economic system, that maybe we are throughing away the peoples jobs in order to keep our inflation at a slow trickle... it can be seen in many forms but i'v never heard anyone (big business owners) really addmite their deseat to their fellow countrymen... I wonder If our country isn't really run by those people as well... Socialogy is a bitch, and the upper class pulls the most weight around, maybe not in nubers but in funds... And further more how do we know that these unions aren't any different, Aren't they fighting for POWER, their main wepon is the people that support them, the people in wich they represent... just a thought tongue.gif" border="0

MEC is one company still making GT in N. America, specifically in Canada, where the labor laws are GOOD!

I just bought one of their 3-plys a few months back, couldn't be happier, and it didn't cost that much either, less than $200 for a good, high quality piece. The point here being that you can pick up a good piece of gear, made in a place with decent labor standards, and good warranty service in this case, for a reasonable amount of money. Not all gear made this way costs way too much!! grin.gif" border="0grin.gif" border="0

[

quote:

My old American made Moonstone parka is almost worn out. What should I replace it with?

patch your old jacket and buy nothing....goretex doesn't really work that great in the northwest anyway.......

if i didn't know better i'd think this self righteous uppermiddleclass thread was being posted exclusively in boulder...buy local climb global...