Pyramid tents?

JoeTool

Ok, I'm getting ready to sew together a pyramid tent and I'm looking for any suggestions from anyone who has used one in the past.I.E.: Megamid, Tipikifaru, danas NukTuk,Etc...

I'm making it out of silnylon and I'm thinking of making a modified petagon like the Mtn. Hardwear kiva, except putting in 10 stakes so its rounder and more aerodynamical. So, any thoughts... [geek]

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Older versions of the megamid didn't have a vent in the top to let out moisture. You had a tropical rainforest in there when the sun came up after a cold night as the frozen vapor melted off the tent walls. Newer versions have a shielded vent in the top but you still get some ice buildup on the inside, particularly if you cook in there. I'm not even sure the megamid is made anymore.

-Iain

I've thought about sewing one of these up myself. Curious to know if sewing the "point" of the 'mid gives you any trouble or not. Are you going to flat-fell or French the seams? How many yards is it going to take? Did you find a pattern or are you going to have to make that too?

Is the time/materials worth the saved $$? Maybe don't answer that one until the project is done.

Whew thats almost as many questions as I asked. [chubit] Ok; i'm going to flat fell the seams. I don't think the point will be a problem, it just kinda comes together. I figured that 11 yards will give me a tent with a 6' peak and a 10' radius. the sil nylon was $60.00 and all the misc. stuff (zipper, thread, etc...) will cost 80-100 dollars max. I made my own pattern by making paper models.And with a similar tipikifaru costing $565.00 and a kiva that weighs twice as much its already worth it(I think it will take a day to sew based on other projects I've done).Oh and I'm putting a vent at the top and they do still make the megamid.

Integral designs is making a silicone coat nylon pyramid teepee tent, also the Betamid by BD sleeps 3, regular coated nylon, weighs 2.2 pounds and costs 99 bucks. Might save a bunch of hours tracing,cutting, felling, searing, pinning and sewing.

All good, joe, I like sewing up gear as well, just tossed out some beta/logistics. Also , I hear it's real tough working with the silcoat stuff, as I'm sure you've figured if you've already got the fabric. Let us know how the finished product turns out!

We use a Mountain Hardwear Kiva - just bought it at the beginning of last year. After much deliberating, we decided that we liked their system better than the other ones on the market, especially the inside room. We wanted something to supplement a bivy - enable us to get out of the weather if needed.

I'll add an unsolicited comment that pyramid tents have to be staked out; IMHO, that limits their adaptability. Also, in snow they tend to be wet, so you'll then carry a bivy bag --at that point, weight savings become moot.

I've got a Megamid thinking it would be the shit. It isn't what I'd hoped it would be.

The ultralight backpacking crowd are coming out with some freely shared designs that might be of interest.

I've got an older Megamid that I got for about $129 at campmor.com last fall. We camped up at Dead Horse Creek (above Paradise) at Rainier a few weeks back. There were three of us plus gear. Condensation became a serious issue in the middle of the night. It became a dripping lodge. Another issue is the person in the middle was fairly cramped against the center pole almost to the point of not being able to sleep comfortably.

I would concur with the others that you really have to stake that baby down in high winds.

I got it because it weighs about 3lb 8oz and it sets up pretty quickly.

Cheers,scott

I believe a pyramid weighs less than two or three climber's seperate bivi sacks. (less weight per team) Additionally, two or three people in a pyramid is more comfortable than said bivi bags.

Unfortunately, a grizzly bear took a liking to my old Choinard Pyramid up in Wrangell St Elias a couple years ago and I have yet to replace it.