Favorite climbing book?

Blake

nice to see this thread back from the dead, for whatever reason.

Maybe i'm a sucker for biographies but...

speaking of biographies, The Villain, A Portrait of Don Whillans (2005) by Jim Perrin must surely qualify as one of the finest pieces of mountaineering writing in the past century - cuz it actually operates at the level of 'true' biography, not the typical hagiography. superbly done.

cheers, don

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All time favorites:

Games climbers play -Perrin

Boardman Tasker Omnibus - B&T

Americian alpine journal any year

Most unusal:

Our Everest Adventure by John Hunt

584812-our%2520everest%2520adventure%2520by%2520john%2520hunt.jpg

A book I found when the Dillingham, Alaska library was giving old books to the village I worked at.

First edition, 1954, checked out once ('85)

Wow, I can't believe Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage made such a late entry, a hugely significant book by a man who was doing extreme alpinism before MT's granddad was born (probably!)

This book inspired a generation of British alpinists(Whillans, Bonnington etc), I agree with Don_Serl re the 2 Bonnatti books being better that the one available now. One ends with the Freney incident, the other starts there. He inspired the next generation of British alpinists.

I'd add 'The Seventh Grade' by Messener.

I really enjoyed Dave Roberts:

Mountains of my Fear and Deborah a Wilderness Narrative, I think he's a very intelligent writer and easily stands up to alot of the Euro/Brit suggestions on the thread. (I'll try and get On the Ridge Between Life and Death)

Pushing the Limits by Chic Scott

Big Wall Climbing by Doug Scott

Anything I've read by Barry Blanchard, is there a definitive list of his stuff anywhere?

-John

(First post so be gentle please)

Wow, I can't believe Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage made such a late entry, a hugely significant book by a man who was doing extreme alpinism before MT's granddad was born (probably!)

This book inspired a generation of British alpinists(Whillans, Bonnington etc), I agree with Don_Serl re the 2 Bonnatti books being better that the one available now. One ends with the Freney incident, the other starts there. He inspired the next generation of British alpinists.

I'd add 'The Seventh Grade' by Messener.

I really enjoyed Dave Roberts:

Mountains of my Fear and Deborah a Wilderness Narrative, I think he's a very intelligent writer and easily stands up to alot of the Euro/Brit suggestions on the thread. (I'll try and get On the Ridge Between Life and Death)

Pushing the Limits by Chic Scott

Big Wall Climbing by Doug Scott

Anything I've read by Barry Blanchard, is there a definitive list of his stuff anywhere?

Personally I didn't enjoy The Villain that much, I thought it said more about Perrin than anything.

-John

(First post so be gentle please)