Blake

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

bunglehead said:

Ahhh! Mt Analogue! EXCELLENT book. Somehow I find it incredibly right that Dumal never finished it.

i got that book as a present a few years back...and i have enver been able to finnish it...i dunno why....

and now that i think about it..i think someone has borrowed it!!!! if you have my mt analouge book give it back!!!

First mountain book I read - Annapurna. Got inspired to climb big mountains.

Second book I read - Last Blue Mountain. Told myself never to climb any big mountains.

Thin Air

Mixed Emotions

Climberz is great, too.

Anything by John Muir for uplift

Cloud Walkers by Paddy Sherman, about the generation of brits that emigrated to british columbia after WWII. Don't know if it's actually great literature, but it was one of the two books about climbing that my high school library had, so I have a soft spot in my heart for it. (Harrer's The White Spider was the other)

I strongly second the recommendations for Breaking Point, Eiger Dreams and Sherman Exposed.

It thought This Game of Ghosts was anti-climactic. You realize that Simpson has to be a tough mother because he's so darn accident prone. Though you gotta love the part at the end where, injured again, being lowered down a big alpine face again, his partner turns to him and hands over his pocket knife.

Endurance about Shackleton's Antartica fiasco.

Not a climbing book, but it has one of the greatest traverses ever done across Georgia island (?) by Shackleton and three other people - over mountains and glaciers with hardly any gear. A glissade down a steep hillside in a white out with no gear and no idea if there is a runout (risky!!).

I won't tell you what happens, but Conrad Anker tried the same traverse a few years ago and thought it was very hard even nowadays. How did they do it!

ehmmic said:

Dru said:

You know, everyone goes to Nepal with "Seven Years in Tibet" and then whines about how much things have changed. Grow up! boxing_smiley.gifboxing_smiley.gifwink.gif

I thought they all took "The Snow Leopard"... I couldn't finish it because he just kept droning on and on... wave.gif

how come no one has flamed me yet for asserting that people go to Tibet with a book about Nepal? boxing_smiley.gifboxing_smiley.gif

Dru said:

ehmmic said:

Dru said:

You know, everyone goes to Nepal with "Seven Years in Tibet" and then whines about how much things have changed. Grow up! boxing_smiley.gifboxing_smiley.gifwink.gif

I thought they all took "The Snow Leopard"... I couldn't finish it because he just kept droning on and on... wave.gif

how come no one has flamed me yet for asserting that people go to Tibet with a book about Nepal? boxing_smiley.gifboxing_smiley.gif

Because you said people go to Nepal with a book about Tibet. Which is what I subtly implied. Guess I forgot you have to be direct when communicating with guys... back to my mars/venus book!

Nepal is a beautiful country though!

Ursa_Eagle said:

I haven't read it yet, but it's on my list of things to do:

"The Ascent of Rum Doodle"

Read it recently, thought it was okay. Mostly mildly amusing rather than the hilarity I was expecting.

Agree w/ several other posters, Conquistadors of the Useless and No Picnic on Mt. Kenya were both good reads. David Roberts' stuff is consistently good.

• 1 year later...

I guess my taste diverges from everyone elses or maybey my outlook on life has just become more bleak.

My Everest Odyssey- Goran Kropp

High Exposure- David Breashears, I think

Touching the Void- Joe Simpson. And I have the movie

All of the Twight Books