Denali Climbing Rangers

ryland_moore

For those of you who were up on Denali this past season, you probably remember the National Geographic film crews doing a documentary on the Denali CVlimbing Rangers. Well, it is finished and will air this Sunday on MSNBC at 8pm. Check out the link: http://www.msnbc.com/news/978692.asp

Should give some pretty good insight into the lifves of the rangers and all they do while on the mountain. Plus I am sure there will be plenty of good footage of rescues and the like. Enjoy!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so W and I are sitting in Lisa’s tent at basecamp and one of the junior guides for the company that’s contracted to support the NG team comes in, he’s getting ready to carry a load of digital video cartridges up to the 14K camp. He’s planning just to run up with the stuff in the pockets of his jacket instead of carrying a pack, so he takes it out of the boxes and protective packaging and puts the bare cartridges in the pocket of his down parka. (The packaging was ridiculously oversized, for each audio-cassette sized cartridge, the cardboard and plastic was approximately the size of a brick). Turned out the joke was on him, though, because the cameraman wasn’t willing to waste time shooting onto possibly contaminated medium, and doug had to run down the next day and repeat the 7,000 vertical with a new batch…

ryland_moore said:

For those of you who were up on Denali this past season, you probably remember the National Geographic film crews doing a documentary on the Denali CVlimbing Rangers. Well, it is finished and will air this Sunday on MSNBC at 8pm. Check out the link: http://www.msnbc.com/news/978692.asp

Should give some pretty good insight into the lifves of the rangers and all they do while on the mountain. Plus I am sure there will be plenty of good footage of rescues and the like. Enjoy!

No shit! Those fuckers were all over the place when we were there. Kept tellin us to quiet down and shit when we were straight chillin on the Kahiltna. My bro Freddie, from New Hamshire, would get pissed and stand in the background when they were filming and pull his cock and balls out and wave 'em around. Always took the cameraman a couple ten seconds to notice before he'd have to stop filming and chase Freddie off. Must have wasted minute and minutes of film on Freddie's unit. yellaf.gif

I watched the show. The insight about the rangers and resues was impressive and how experienced climbers can get in trouble. Yet it never ceases to amaze me that people head up peaks unprepared. Dude leaving his son at base camp, couple of folks at base camp without equipment. But the host continually whining about how cold, tired, and sore he was got old real fast.

For those who missed the program, I heard that its going to be on again on sunday nov 9th, don't know what time though.

good show...was a real kick to see video footage that was shot this past season. Did think some of the commentary was a little overly dramatic..refering to an accident by saying 'And the body count continues to rise' yet no one had died in any of the accidents.

That screwball that left his son at basecamp, couldn't believe it but I met him and his son before they flew to the mountain. Norm and I had just arrived back in Talkeetna and were getting our 'first meal' of bacon cheeseburgers and sat right next to those two....I had just assumed that they were climbing guided because of what little experience they had, guess not. Glad to know that the kid didn't get hurt.

It was a good show, though they didn't really talk in depth about the rangers personally. That would have been more interesting to me then all the stuff on the host (*drama* I know I was the slowest member of the team, but I had to push on *drama*).

It's pretty amazing how many rescues they made nad how nobody was hurt. Wasn't sure whether the Czechs they saved were assholes or just misunderstood.

Also, they could've made it 100 times better by either putting Lucy Liu on the mountain or naked. grin.gif

It was pretty good, and I'm sure that you could get a copy from the National Geographic series, or that it will be on again.

Drama on the mountain, and why didnt the Checs go the extra 100' up the Messner coulior instead of getting pulled off the mountain in a dangerous rescue, go back and try the normal route without enough equipment?

I'm sure the rangers see all kinds.

Pretty good show, except the host was a bit whiney.

That Czech shit happened when we were there too. It was pretty entertaining. The Czech's girlfriend called in a rescue from 17,000 I think, even though they only 100' from the top of the messner. The lama dumped them off at basecamp and the Rangers had a plane waiting to take them back to Talkeetna, but they refused to get on it, because all their gear was still up there yellaf.gif

The Ranger was like my pilot risked his life to save your ass now get on the fucking plane or I'll have you arrested and drag you on forceably. But the Czech wouldn't budge. They stood there and yelled at eachother for five minutes. It was like high drama on the Kahiltna and shit. Finally the Czech gave in but he was pissed. What a retard. hellno3d.gif

Fairweather said:

Anyone know how that Seattle (Cerebral Edema) guy is doing? The epilogue said he "relapsed". Hope he's OK.

I was at his house last night watching the show, and he seems to be doing just fine. They misreported his ailment though. It was apparently some kind of hypoglycemic insulin reaction - not edema.

Two other Seattle climbers appeared in the show in the background, although very very briefly! You had to pause it to see them.

I thought the narrative guy was kind of crazy. What was he doing drinking out of his pee bottle the next day? And stuffing all those socks in his pants!

Fun show to watch, but too dramatic.

eternalX said:

It was a good show, though they didn't really talk in depth about the rangers personally. That would have been more interesting to me then all the stuff on the host (*drama* I know I was the slowest member of the team, but I had to push on *drama*).

It's pretty amazing how many rescues they made nad how nobody was hurt. Wasn't sure whether the Czechs they saved were assholes or just misunderstood.

Also, they could've made it 100 times better by either putting Lucy Liu on the mountain or naked. grin.gif

They certainly missed a great opportunity regarding the rangers themselves,especially Darryl Miller and Roger Robinson,the two head rangers.These guys are amazing men,with absolutely incredible backgrounds and experiences on Denali and other great peaks around the world.They are both directly responsible for the fact that there have been so many successful rescues with so few losses incurred in the process.Miller and Robinson were the guys who pretty much established and organized the rescue system at Denali.They could both tell tales that would have put the weenie host in his proper category: just barely beginning to become a pimple on a climber's ass.Darryl Miller made the first circumnavigation of Denali in winter several years ago with Talkeetna climber Mark Stasic;they both presented this epic with slides at the excellent convention on climbing on Denali here in Portland in '97.Both Miller and Robinson have risked their necks in more hair raising rescues over the years than a whole barrelful of climbing rangers could match in several lifetimes.Talk about brass balls and cool heads.Nat'l.Geo definitely needs to go back and do the story right,leave the weenie whiner home,and yeah,Lucy Liu naked at basecamp would probly be about what it would take to get a big enough viewer audience to do justice to just how underappreciated these guys are.Here's a moon.giffor the weenie,and abigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.giffor the incredible climbing rangers of Denali. grin.gifwave.gif