Pass Closures-FYI

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The passes aren't all we have to worry about, now we have to worry about all the terrible SUV driving western washington drivers.

WINTER STORM WATCH LATE TONIGHT AND WEDNESDAY FOR EVERETT AND VICINITY...SEATTLE METROPOLITAN AREA...AND THE HOOD CANAL-KITSAP PENINSULA AREA... TONIGHT...RAIN AT TIMES. RAIN CHANGING TO SNOW OVER THE NORTH PART LATE TONIGHT...THEN SPREADING SOUTH. SNOW ACCUMULATIONS UP TO 2 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE. LOWS 35 TO 40. SOUTH WIND 5 TO 15 MPH SHIFTING NORTH AND RISING TO 10 TO 20 MPH OVERNIGHT.

WEDNESDAY...LIGHT SNOW NORTH PART...SPREADING SOUTH DURING THE MORNING. RAIN OR MIXED RAIN AND SNOW SOUTH PART. SNOW ACCUMULATIONS UP TO 2 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE WITH 2 TO 4 INCHES TOTAL ACCUMULATION POSSIBLE. HIGHS NEAR 40. NORTH WIND 10 TO 20 MPH.

Alright what's the deal here? I was planning a little foul weather trip down to that dismal area of basalt we all know and love, but Snoqualmie Pass is still closed, "reopening unknown." Seems to me up here in the great white north we can keep a road open in pretty much any condition (Roger's Pass?), so what's so goddamn tough about keeping little ol Snoqualmie open? Or am I completely missing something here, somebody down there help me out! Maybe the highways people are just protectiung stupid drivers from themselves. I may be a Kanuck, but every time I make a trip down to Vantage in the winter, I see at least one flipped BMW in a ditch, people taking up three lanes, huge, black SUVs rippin it up not realizing that, yes, SUVs have more traction, but they are also much higher off the ground! rolleyes.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by jordop:
Alright what's the deal here? I was planning a little foul weather trip down to that dismal area of basalt we all know and love, but Snoqualmie Pass is still closed, "reopening unknown." Seems to me up here in the great white north we can keep a road open in pretty much any condition (Roger's Pass?), so what's so goddamn tough about keeping little ol Snoqualmie open? Or am I completely missing something here, somebody down there help me out! Maybe the highways people are just protectiung stupid drivers from themselves. I may be a Kanuck, but every time I make a trip down to Vantage in the winter, I see at least one flipped BMW in a ditch, people taking up three lanes, huge, black SUVs rippin it up not realizing that, yes, SUVs have more traction, but they are also much higher off the ground!
rolleyes.gif" border="0

Lets see. Snoqualmie pass is 8 lanes vs 2 lanes on Rogers Pass. There are no snow sheds on Snoqualmie. Also while Rogers Pass gets a lot of snow I think they are getting a bigger dump of wetter snow right now at Snoqualmie. Over 100" of snow at Baker Ski area in the last 2 or 3 days.

I am down with you on the whole SUV thing. That's why we fight so many wars down here, so we can be free to burn lots of fuel. rolleyes.gif" border="0

at least you made it to the city today--those of us stuck on the other side were not so fortunate, but we definitely had some good adventure. the skiing was wild, with snow so deep it was over my head at times in the trees, but it also was pretty damn heavy from the warm weather so we had to break trail going downhill. and when you factor in the 2 day drive home its a bit more than i was planning on from a trip to steven's. i think i'll stay home for awhile...

I've got a 1/2 mile private road and it drifted shut about 9am today. The neighbor 1/2 mile further down the road burried his 4x4 in the drift in front of my place and I spent 3hrs getting the both of us stuck and unstuck and back home where we belong. The wife is gonna get to park at the main road and walk the last half mile home. Not what I had planned for the first day of spring.

So quit ya whinin'!

quote:

Originally posted by tobytortorelli:
deal with it you f*&^@%#g pussy. i skied blower 15 degree pow at baker today and yesterday, some of the best turns of the year. don't like more snow??? go back to the east coast. f@#^in' gay wad.

little boy shut your mouth....i have emailed this to your mother....and remember she holds the bill to your credit card........

this is why bellingham sux..........

and i want all the damn snow to go away....sure skiing is fun, but seriously people........rock is waaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyy better.....!!!!!!!!!!!

and little boy shhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!! no one asked!!!!!!

Hey wise guy, I'm not from the east coast, PNW born and raised. Not a skiier myself, do snowshoeing, a teeny bit of ice climbing, or lowland hiking during the winter. Three months is enough. Time for the sun to come out, snow to melt and consolidate, and alpine environs to become more easily accessible. Snow conditions/avy danger is only part of the equation. Most trailheads and roads are buried, limited number of areas that are easily accessible for weekend/1 day outings, etc. etc. Spray on if you want about "whining," winter just happens to be my least favorite of the seasons and it's "officially" over by the calendar, but not if you look outside.