Fav. Mtn. Range

glen

it seems like between us, we've been to just about every sweet alpine spot on the planet: Himalaya, Andes, Rockies, Brooks, Tien Shan, Alps, Antarctica, Sierra Nevadas, Kamchatka, and of course the Cascades and all the other randmom little volcanoes and mountain ranges here and there. The question is this, which is your favorite and why? Is there anywhere that an alpine-addict should go before they die?

For me, I'm a fan of the Sierras. There are better places for big mountains, ice, snow and all that, but it comes together so nicely there that it can't be beat, in my opinion.

Spray on!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

this might become cliche, but im going to have to go with chamonix. the rock is generally excellent, the mountains are big, there are lots of aesthetic routes in such a concentrated area and the approaches are, well, often non-existant. you could argue that the crowds suck, but off of the really well-known or really easy routes, its uncommon to run into crowds. yup, chamonix it is.

quote:

Originally posted by fishstick:
Dru,

Dumb question: what is the divide between the Lillooet and Pacific ranges?

GB

Harrison Lake and Lillooet River, then Lillooet- Bridge Glacier divide. Past there I think the Lillooet Ranges vanish and turn into the Douglas Ranges or something.

I should also throw out a shout-out for the Clear Range and Marble Range. These are the limestone hills and mountains south and north, respectively, of Marble Canyon. They are not part of the Coast Mts or Cascades, but are really the highest portion of the Interior Plateau. A great place for scrambling, rambling and general exploring. Not much technical alpine type stuff but a great place for dry-country ridge hiking to peaks like Cairn and Fountain.

I'm always drawn back to the Wind Rivers. The climbing is excellent but the remoteness, easy approaches, beauty of the landscape, the abundant wildlife and the lack of crowds have always made trips there special. The 18 hour drive across southern Idaho tends to be a little harsh though.

http://www.ac.wwu.edu/~berdind/gallery/images/gallery3_lg.JPG

Bella Colla B.C., during the summer mounths and then down to Joshiwa tree nsl park during the winter... Or at least that is were I wish I migrated to every year

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ [Moon] ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Mi is nas ceatra an damhan-allaidh air am balla

quote:

Originally posted by Country Jake:
Bella Colla B.C., during the summer mounths and then down to Joshiwa tree nsl park during the winter... Or at least that is were I wish I migrated to every year

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[Moon]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Mi is nas ceatra an damhan-allaidh air am balla

Damn you must like that Bella Coola rain... 300 days of rain a year.