Good weather

sketchfest

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately there isn't anything to tell. Awesome weather and piss poor trail navigation (forgot the book in the car) lead to many wrong turns until finally accessing the North Ridge trail much to late in the day to continue to the summit. There were some very, very small smatterings of snow from the cold front that had moved through earlier that week, but nothing to even think twice about. We missed an incredible weather window..oh well, it'll still be there next year.

We did the gumby route (North Ridge) on Sunday. Damn hot, but nice.

Sketch, if you approach from the North, take this advice. Rather than parking at Big Lake/Patjens Lake trailhead, take a forest service road over to PCT trail head over to the NE of Big Lake instead. No turns on PCT to get mixed up on and straight easy shot to climbers trail cairn about 3 miles in.

On an interesting note, on the way up, passed a girl and her large dog (white fang looking critter) heading back down. On top, checked out the summit register and sure enough, she and the dog had summitted. Now, I know the scrambling on the North ridge is easy, but there were a couple places I wouldn't want my dog sending unless he/she were on a rope. Nothing like a big dog who climbs 4th/low 5th choss!

Maybe she lured the pup up with HCHCL.gif

Coming back down the trail it was really easy to see all the obvious trail signs, but for what ever reason (to much beer and stuff the night before) nothing seemed to obvious on the way up.

We were about half way up the N. ridge trail when I saw someone and their dog following them down the scree field. That's pretty wild that the dog was able to make it all the way to the summit. yellaf.gif

sketchfest said:

This is a take off of the thread started in the climbers board. Who is doing what in Portland this weekend?

i overheard this dude talking on his cellphone one time. he said 'if the world needed an enema portland would be where they inserted the tube.' hellno3d.gifmadgo_ron.gif

lummox said:

sketchfest said:

This is a take off of the thread started in the climbers board. Who is doing what in Portland this weekend?

i overheard this dude talking on his cellphone one time. he said 'if the world needed an enema portland would be where they inserted the tube.' hellno3d.gifmadgo_ron.gif

Ummm, don't you mean Chehalis? It's closer to Seattle anyway. the_finger.gif

lummox said:

sketchfest said:

Dang, that's pretty harsh yellaf.gif

I'm gonna be out in the town of Verbort on Saturday for the Harvest Festival. bigdrink.gif at the gun club, HCL.gif back at the church.