kicked out of Canada

Gary_Yngve

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

minx said:

my point was that they don't ever seem to touch a computer the whole 10 sec they look at my ID confused.gif

Well, they don't rip your car apart and search it everytime either. But I have seen them doing that to people and have known it to happen to people...and in those cases they found nothing and let the people go on their way. They spot check, and if they sense anything funny they'll dig deeper. It wouldn't surprise me also if they just pick every 10th car to examine more closely or run checks on people's IDs. Bad luck to be one of those people, but if they checked everyone thoroughly it would take a whole day or more just to cross the border. You've just been lucky like me so far if they haven't run a computer check on you and detained you longer than ten seconds.

Word to the wise: get a passport and keep it with you - not in the car at trailheads. Canada is NOT the U.S. I'm in BC 30-40 times a year and all my post-9/11 hassles went away when I got a passport. Went up through Sumas yesterday - two or three questions from the Canadian border guard and I'm on my way. Just got back from Slesse an hour ago and had to provide the US guard a description of exactly how to get to the trailhead and the condition of the trail. I guess they are paying more attention to people who go from the US up to the border peaks area, perhaps due to a perception that it would be easy to sling a bag of BC bud from Rexford over to the US side shocked.gif

BTW - the flood damage from last week on the Nesakwatch road has now been repaired as of yesterday.

Just remember, there are states here in the USA that issue driver's licenses to illegal aliens. Posession of a valid drivers license is not proof of American citizenship. This might be why there is a crackdown up north.

For the record; all of my encounters with Canadian border guards have been good. They did question my kids once, but kept them in my sight and were outgoing and cordial.

I got a speeding ticket in 1992 while driving 90mph in Yukon Terrirory. It was over $300 Canadian. Upon my return home, I decided to ignore the fine. All was well...

Almost 5 years later, I received a letter from the RCMP offering me a one time opportunity to "pay up", no interest, late fees, or additional penalties! The letter stated that I would be denied future access to Canada if I failed to do so. So I paid up.

I thought it was cool that they sent me such a cordial letter and weren't total pricks. Better treatment than I would have received from most US local police depts. It was about $200+ USD.

MounTAIN_Woman said:

An official birth certificate is an original, with a raised seal, issued by the county of your birth. I was able to find out how to get a copy for myself over the internet at the county's website. You'll have to go to them and ask for one. I think it will cost you a couple bucks, but that plus driver's license equals the right form of ID. You will also need that official birth certificate if you apply for a passport, which I also highly recommend. It's the best form of ID out there - I've made many border crossings with no hassles, and also if you ever fly, even on a domestic flight, it makes it easier at check-in time. Nobody ever questions the validity of the US Passport. ooo.gif

not true. i bought booze yesterday and bitch said i needed a second form of I.D. i told her to fuck herself with the vodka bottle and tell her boss why they were out the $$$. cunt.

scott_harpell said:

MounTAIN_Woman said:

An official birth certificate is an original, with a raised seal, issued by the county of your birth. I was able to find out how to get a copy for myself over the internet at the county's website. You'll have to go to them and ask for one. I think it will cost you a couple bucks, but that plus driver's license equals the right form of ID. You will also need that official birth certificate if you apply for a passport, which I also highly recommend. It's the best form of ID out there - I've made many border crossings with no hassles, and also if you ever fly, even on a domestic flight, it makes it easier at check-in time. Nobody ever questions the validity of the US Passport. ooo.gif

not true. i bought booze yesterday and bitch said i needed a second form of I.D. i told her to fuck herself with the vodka bottle and tell her boss why they were out the $$$. cunt.

And I am sure they are way bummed that they lost YOU as a customer. BTW, that last word is so offensive I am suprised she didn't break the bottle over your head then shove it up your moon.gif

Golden rules to crossing north from USA for me-

Have 2 - 3 ids. Whether they be work, but including a DL or state ID and then something else perhaps.

Always bring a passport if you have one (this works better than almost anything). If not bring an official birth certificate and then be mellow.

I dont have the passport or 3rd ID but I use a birth certificate (official one with original markings\stamps and signatures) every time and carry my DL\ID and my work ID.

The only times I have been asked for a 3rd ID was crossing back into the US (twice) and once going to Canada on foot (cant blame them).

If you give the border patrol a hard time they will eject you like shit coming out of a cows ass as everyone knows.

If you prepare yourself and are still an ass they can still do the same.

Those items said- if you are trying to go to CA then shut up and be nice or be prepared for rejection and the shutdown of your drive, however long it may have been.

There is very little science to it.

here's my take

Prepare the basics before you go. They want passports nowadays so get one.

Always look the border gaurd in the eye and be conversational; listen to what they ask. When ask a question elaborate a little but not too much. Usually when they start to fuck with you they will ask the same question over and over; when you notice this give them a slightly sarcastic answer so they know you're on to them.

Having a nicely cleaned vehicle, a haircut, and a shave are highly recomended! wave.gif

my take on boarder crossings-

wear a funny hat,

act the part of the disarming, goofy American if there are guards with guns around- particularily if you don't share a common language

try to make the boarder patrol laugh if they've got you in the box and are interrogating you

try not to get shot!

and for the Canooks, wear a touque, tell them you're "headed to the palestra, eh?" and start humming "Oh, Canada", this will usually get you in yelrotflmao.gif

scrambler said:

Did anyone in your group have an arrest record? Some types of offenses are considered differently than here in the States. For example, if someone had a DWI or DUI that occurred within the last 10 years, then that person will have to pay a fee of about $150 and obtain a document for access into Canada. If the offense is more than 10 years old, then you're considered rehabilitated. And, don't lie to the border guards, they have ways of knowing.

Weird law. Check the embassy site for more details considering certain legal hassles.

I dont know what type of record my climbing partner has, but last year he was denied access to canada FOREVER because of something he did over 13yrs ago. They didnt consider him rehabilitated. frown.gif

AlpineK said:

here's my take

Prepare the basics before you go. They want passports nowadays so get one.

Always look the border gaurd in the eye and be conversational; listen to what they ask. When ask a question elaborate a little but not too much. Usually when they start to fuck with you they will ask the same question over and over; when you notice this give them a slightly sarcastic answer so they know you're on to them.

Having a nicely cleaned vehicle, a haircut, and a shave are highly recomended! wave.gif

and don't forget to polish your shoes, update your will, and chant between answering their questions.

but seriously, I take off my hat and my sunglasses when waiting in line to cross any border.