kicked out of Canada

Gary_Yngve

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gary_Yngve said:

...We were all a bunch of white, born-in-America college students. Our van was full of climbing gear. We didn't look like a bunch of terrorists or drug traffickers (not that anyone smuggles pot into Canada...).

cry.gif

Maybe you looked like privileged whiners. Those of us who don't have your Jessica Simpson looks get hassled routinely. In any case, crossing North is comparatively easy if you hold off on the attitude. Getting back into the US is like getting into an Alabama hunting lodge.

arlen said:

Gary_Yngve said:

...We were all a bunch of white, born-in-America college students. Our van was full of climbing gear. We didn't look like a bunch of terrorists or drug traffickers (not that anyone smuggles pot into Canada...).

cry.gif

Maybe you looked like privileged whiners. Those of us who don't have your Jessica Simpson looks get hassled routinely. In any case, crossing North is comparatively easy if you hold off on the attitude. Getting back into the US is like getting into an Alabama hunting lodge.

I have no idea who the fuck Jessica Simpson is.

We had no attitude. We answered all their questions promptly and politely.

We had shit like this happen:

Guard: What do you have for ID?

Jon (not cc.com Jon): I have a DL and a photocopy of my birth certificate.

Guard: You see what that says? <points to birth certificate>. It says P-H-O-T-O-C-O-P-Y. And the rules say P-H-O-T-O-C-O-P-I-E-S not allowed.

Dave_Schuldt said:

Gary, you might write a letter to the BC Chamber of Comerce. Tell them how much you love to spend money up there. I don't think they would be happy if the border gets a bad reputation and more people stay home and spend there money in the States.

Could Beck do that for me and get the mayor to sign it?

Here's my theory on the Canadian crackdown on ID's. They are probably getting a lot of pressure from the US customs cause the US customs are more serious about who comes in and demand better documentation. Last time I went to Canada, there was no problem with a driver's licence. But on the way back into the US we got read the riot act for not having birth certificate or passports. I mean what are they really going to do...make you stay in Canada. They pretty much have to let you back in if you live in the US, so to avoid these issues they want the Canadians to help them avoid these problems by being more strict when you leave the US, so when you try to return you have the right docs. Blame it on the US!

BTW, I asked the US border guard if it was REQUIRED to have a passport or birth certificate and he admitted not. I wouldn't expect that to last long however. I'm bringing my passport next time. I don't like being harrassed. This isn't fee demo you know!

Edited by David_Parker

David_Parker said:

BTW, I asked the US border guard if it was REQUIRED to have a passport or birth certificate and he admitted not. I wouldn't expect that to last long however. I'm bringing my passport next time. I don't like being harrassed. This isn't fee demo you know!

Right, you asked the US border guard. Not sure if the same holds for the Canadian border guard. When we turned around and headed back to the US border crossing, the guards there were honestly surprised that we had gotten turned around and felt sorry for us.

David_Parker said:

I'm bringing my passport next time. I don't like being harrassed. This isn't fee demo you know!

I agree. If I'm going on a trip to Canada with other folks, either they all have proper ID or I'm not going. It's really not worth the hassle and waste of time just to get turned around.

it may not be required for *Americans* to have DL & BC or PP to re enter America... but it IS required for Canadians to have same. and like wise for Americans to enter Canada. the only thing is sometimes they don't call you on those requirements. ever since 9/11 I have had to show the documents to enter US. AND usually but not always coming back into Canada.

usually if you are Canadioan coming back into Canada though, they are more concerned with how much you bought so they know how much duty to charge you.

now that the CDN dollar is at a 10 year high vs the American $ they are not as impressed by your tourist dollars spending power too wave.gif so they are more picky about who they turn back.

also the border guards are all cop rejects anyway. they see the US border guards getting guns and so on and they get jealous and try and be bad ass to make up for it. yellaf.gif

"To make a border guard they take an incomptent policeman, drill out the skull, and pack the cavity with horseshit" - more or less Geordie Smaill quote c. 1975.

Gary_Yngve said:

Well that kinda shoots down my theory in a way, but again, what are they going to do....keep you in no man's land? I know every licence plate that has crossed previously is in some data base. Do you think there was a previous problem with that particular car? All I know is that you are at the WHIM of any particular border guard's personal feelings. If he had a fight with his wife, you might be paying for it. Also, if I was heading to Suamish for a weekend of climbing, I'd probably tell the guy I was going to Whistler. They never seem to question that location and it probably says you have money!

"To make a border guard they take an incomptent policeman, drill out the skull, and pack the cavity with horseshit" - more or less Geordie Smaill quote c. 1975.

hahaha.gif I just pissed myself. Just when I almost died of boredom, you saved the day. Thanks, dru. thumbs_up.gif

Gary_Yngve said:Right, you asked the US border guard. Not sure if the same holds for the Canadian border guard. When we turned around and headed back to the US border crossing, the guards there were honestly surprised that we had gotten turned around and felt sorry for us.

Well that kinda shoots down my theory in a way, but again, what are they going to do....keep you in no man's land? I know every licence plate that has crossed previously is in some data base. Do you think there was a previous problem with that particular car? All I know is that you are at the WHIM of any particular border guard's personal feelings. If he had a fight with his wife, you might be paying for it. Also, if I was heading to Suamish for a weekend of climbing, I'd probably tell the guy I was going to Whistler. They never seem to question that location and it probably says you have money!

RobBob said:

hahaha.gif I just pissed myself. Just when I almost died of boredom, you saved the day. Thanks, dru. thumbs_up.gif

If you want to piss yourself even more, read the entire CAJ article that quote is from: "Squamish Hardcore Go to Denali" or something like that abot Sutton, Burton, Smaill et al doing one of the early alpine-style climbs of the Cassin. This quote arose when a US border guard at the Alaska-Yukon crossing made Smaill and Hugh Burton throw out their canned bivy foods (similar to today when US border guards make you throw out apples you buy in BC, even if they say "Grown in WA"). In the article, Smaill noted that he "restored our food supply at no cost through an ingenious scheme that the grocery store manager surely would have approved, had he known."

Later on, one of the team passed out drunk in Talkeetna with lumpy pants and forever after was known as the Dirty Doughnut. Nice.

I had a similar experience this summer. I was traveling to Vancouver via greyhound and for some reason the customs guy didn't like me . I had my passport, I even had a Student Visa for Canada ( I go to school in Montreal, but I'm American ) They rigorously questioned me, searched me ( they even went through the pages of the book I had with me to make sure nothing was hidden in there) , were incredibly rude. They threatened to not let me in and I asked why, seeing as I had proper forms of ID and official documentation allowing me to be in their country, and the reason he gave was "I can choose to admit whomever I want into my country"

I am also a clean-cut white American college student. I bet that if I hadn't had that student visa they would have found some reason to keep me out. Only time I've ever really had a problem and I've crossed the border probably over 100 times. Some customs guys are assholes. I guess that's the only explanation

stinkyclimber said:

Translation: Sadly, unless someone out there has scanned it, it is going to be dead trees only. It was an article in CAJ 1975 or 1976. Worth reading if you can find a copy.

Thanks for the translation stinkyclimber...I would have never gotten that. And after years of living up in Bellingham I could speak Canadian, eh... cantfocus.gif

glassgowkiss said:

remember, if you have dui you can't enter canada either. btw, what is this big deal. everywhere you need a passport if you go to another country.

us has one of the most restrictive policies as far as immigration laws.

how do they know if you have a dui? all they ever do is just take a quick glance at my passport and let me through? confused.gif